Best thing for motion sickness

Laurichi

Hi guys,
I'm planning on going on some of the "easy" rides during our visit next month but i am extremely prone to motion sickness...
I usually take something like biodramine but I've read there are some bracelets as well...have any of you tried those?
Thanks!

Laurichi

Original Poster
Nobody here has the same problem? It's not like I'm planning on going on Expedition Everest..more like Seven Dwarves with my kids :)

Upvote 0

Nastory4

Nobody here has the same problem? It's not like I'm planning on going on Expedition Everest..more like Seven Dwarves with my kids :)[/QUOT

Sorry and thankfully I never needed anything. A guy on one of our cruises used this stuff called Air Bourne something or another and he swore by it.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Hi guys,
I'm planning on going on some of the "easy" rides during our visit next month but i am extremely prone to motion sickness...
I usually take something like biodramine but I've read there are some bracelets as well...have any of you tried those?
Thanks!

If you mean Sea Bands (bracelets with a nub you're supposed to place over pressure points on your wrist), I've worn them on a cruise and found that they helped a little, but not as much as if I'd taken Dramamine or similar meds. (On the other hand, I didn't get the buzzy, sleepy feeling that you get with the meds, so either option has its advantages and disadvantages.) The Sea Bands cost about $8 at our local Walgreens -- if you want to give them a try, I'd suggest bringing the meds with you as a backup.

Good luck with your motion sickness! Stay very well-hydrated, and I hope you find a combination that works for you so you can enjoy your time at WDW to the fullest!

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

In addition to the above treatments, sucking on crystallized ginger is supposed to help with a queazy stomach. I tried the Sea-band when I had morning sickness--helped some (although it may have just been a placebo effect but whatever it was, I thought it helped). Sorry that you are afflicted with motion sickness--I know that it can be terrible! Hope something helps

Upvote 0

TARDIS

I have found Dramamine taken at night a few hours before I wake up and a dose of a non drowsy one about 6 hours later works for me. I get motion sick looking at a computer screen, but can take those meds and ride all the coasters and simulators without issue.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Seabands are unfortunately nothing more than a placebo effect.

Below is the summarized findings of the Institute of Naval Medicine.
Naval Assessment
Enter the Institute of Naval Medicine (INM), who tested Sea Bands against the drug hycosine, sometimes known as scopalomine. (At sea, this gives good control of symptoms for some hours). But the INM also tested against two placebos. One was a dummy drug (Vitamin C), and the other was a dummy band (the Sea band with the plastic button reversed so that it didn't press against the wrist. Eighteen male volunteers were exposed to a "cross coupled nauseogenic motion challenge." In other words, they were blindfolded and rotated in a chair while they performed head movements to commands from a loudspeaker above them.
This may sound pretty innocuous, but in fact it's a fairly severe test. It will bring on the first symptoms of vomiting within 15 to 20 minutes on average. Each subject was tested on the motion challenge on four separate occasions, with at least a week between each. The results? The hycosine had an effect. But Sea Bands? No better than the dummy remedies. In fact, it emerges that the US Naval Aerospace people had tested Sea Bands back in 1982. The results then? No benefit.

Ginger pills do seem to some mild effect to reduce nausea, but not as good as other medications. It also can have a nasty side effect of "cleansing" your lower intestine if you take a lot.

I would try ginger first and if that takes the edge off then stick with it. If it does not help you are going to have to go to the medicine cabinet.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

Seabands are unfortunately nothing more than a placebo effect.

Below is the summarized findings of the Institute of Naval Medicine.

Ginger pills do seem to some mild effect to reduce nausea, but not as good as other medications. It also can have a nasty side effect of "cleansing" your lower intestine if you take a lot.

I would try ginger first and if that takes the edge off then stick with it. If it does not help you are going to have to go to the medicine cabinet.

I have spent a lot of time training divers in the Atlantic and have had one person that would get violently sick even on calm days. This guy would hang out in the water on a trailing line from the boat when the boat was stopped. He tried the Seabands and he never got sick again. I don't care how rough the ocean got, he would eat and hang out in the boats laughing at the other getting sick.

He was the only case I have even seen.

There is also a prescription available called Scopalamine. It is a transdermal patch that gets applied behind the ear and works much better than the over the counter options. It can however cause headaches in some people and dryness of mouth. It does work for most people I have seen.

Ginger is a good option to help take the edge off.

If you get that motion sick then take a break between rides and skip the ones that really bother you.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have spent a lot of time training divers in the Atlantic and have had one person that would get violently sick even on calm days. This guy would hang out in the water on a trailing line from the boat when the boat was stopped. He tried the Seabands and he never got sick again. I don't care how rough the ocean got, he would eat and hang out in the boats laughing at the other getting sick.

He was the only case I have even seen.

There is also a prescription available called Scopalamine. It is a transdermal patch that gets applied behind the ear and works much better than the over the counter options. It can however cause headaches in some people and dryness of mouth. It does work for most people I have seen.

Ginger is a good option to help take the edge off.

If you get that motion sick then take a break between rides and skip the ones that really bother you.
The placebo effect is a funny thing. My mom was one of those people that would have very real pain, but have someone in a lab coat give her a tic-tac, tell it was a pain reliever and she would be as right as rain.

Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

Ginger Gum! it's a quick immediate relief dose in the chicklette form.

We buy the small packs at the drug stores. Only take when needed, usually right before a roller coaster, or right after, you find out what works for you, but it is immediate relief. They are the bee's knees, no medication side effects etc.

k2-_5262554f-e519-49e4-ad3f-d7ec5d3e13d0.v1.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/32958108?...80201311&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=83193458951&veh=sem

Upvote 0

aprilc

I use Dramamine for flying and boats. I generally don't need it for rides but I avoid spinning rides and simulators. I do ride the carosel with my kids but if I keep my eyes fixed on them the entire time I can usually get off w/ out getting sick.

Upvote 0

marissieviolissie

I still have some dramamine at home that I didn't use. Maybe for the sake of not having "oops, this one did get me motionsick this time" again I think I will take them to Paris with me. I have company that time so in case I fall asleep in the midst of Mainstreet Usa I have someone who can pick me up. Right then or after she's done doing all the rides first lol.

Upvote 0

GrammieBee

I can feel quesy on a cruise ship on a calm day. Simulator rides are a definite problem.
Sea bands do not work for me. Any product with ginger can take the edge off mild nausea. What I like best is Bonine rather than Dramamine as it does not produce that woozy, sleepy feeling. As for behind the ear liquids or patches, a nurse on a cruise ship once told me that they do not like the problems they see in people using them. I have no idea if this is a valid observation or not.. A doctor can perscribe medication for nausea in severe cases. These work well, but as with all perscription medications, should be used carefully..
All motion sickness products need to be taken a while BEFORE any activity that will cause nausea or they do not work.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom