Best park for a rainy day?

KCheatle

Original Poster
As I’m sure most of us have, I have been rained on in every park at WDW (as well as at Disney Springs, at Downtown Disney before it was Disney Springs, and at my hotel). However, for purposes of this question I’m curious in which park do you say to yourself, “If it was going to rain, I’m glad I’m here!” ?? (Water parks included)

For me, it’s HS. I feel like there are a lot of shows I can duck into, or a lot of indoor lines. But, I have to admit I do love running through MK in the summer rain!

LUVofDIS

Its funny, all the times we have been to WDW there has only been once where it rained for a while and effected our day. It was 1994, and we were at Discovery Island. The strange part was we felt as if we were stuck there alone. We were observing some birds over where the alligators were and a storm just blew in. It down poured for about twenty minutes and than rained for another hour. It was pretty awesome. So, I guess if discovery Island was still there I would say Discovery Island. Though I would probably prefer a water park if it is just raining.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I'd say the MK as a whole but the old Toy Story queue made a great place to weather a storm and actually fee like you were "doing something" or at least had something to look forward to besides just aimlessly waiting. Although if you get in the shops along Main St in a downpour you might just wind up preferring the rain when you see the inevitable stroller traffic jam in there. LOL!

Darkseid

I always seem to be in EPCOT when it rains, but on my last trip, we were at Magic Kingdom for about 10 hours in the rain. It was my favorite day of the trip. The crowds were sparse and it kept it cool. The only downfall: BTMRR and being pelted in the face by rain.

Musical Mermaid

I always seem to be in EPCOT when it rains, but on my last trip, we were at Magic Kingdom for about 10 hours in the rain. It was my favorite day of the trip. The crowds were sparse and it kept it cool. The only downfall: BTMRR and being pelted in the face by rain.
About a month ago, I was waiting in the fastpass lane for BTMRR and as soon as I got to the sheltered part of the queue, the rain started. The ride was still operating, so I put the poncho on as fast as I could. It certainly was my wildest BTMRR experience ever and I was laughing the whole time, but no, I don’t wish to do that again. Ponchos don’t protect your face, so I understand how you felt getting pelted by the rain.

My favorite when it rains is MK. There are many indoor attractions and as someone stated above it is more compact, so not much walking to get to a covered area. Every land has a show. I don’t enjoy DHS even when it’s not raining, AK is the worst when it rains, and if I’m not already in World Showcase at Epcot, I certainly don’t enjoy all the distance I have to cover while it’s raining.

JIMINYCR

If youre looking to stay dry, and be entertained then its EP. The pavilions are unique and very interesting. When its raining it gives you an excuse to really linger throughout and look over everything youd normally be passing by too quickly. Take the time to engage the CM's in conversation and youll learn a lot more about their country and customs.
I agree that AK is the worst. When the rain stops it seems like it doubles the feel of the humidity.

crxbrett

For me it's AK , there seems to be way more animals out on the safari when it's raining and as a added bonus maybe the FOP line might get a little shorter in the rain.

I will say when I went last year I was fortunate enough to go on the safari before a big thunderstorm cell started moving into the DW area. It was just a light rain and cloud cover at the time of the excursion, but all of the animals were out. It was the best experience I ever had on the safari in all the times I have been on it! The animals definitely prefer being out in light rain/drizzle.

However, the rest of AK is awful in storms. Not a whole lot of areas to take shelter in if one doesn't want to be out in the rain.

UKDisney Dave

One of the best safaris I’ve had was when it was torrential rain. The animals were loving it, especially the elephants who were all messing around near the water. Seeing the elephants in such heavy rain made it all the more “real”, like a natural experience and not the forced park experience it can be. Luckily for us there must have been a delay or animals in the roadway, as our safari truck stopped right by the elephants for a couple of minutes before moving on.

On the downside, the open sides to the safari truck and the strong winds did nothing to keep us dry! Sitting there in soggy shirt and pants and trying to keep my camera from getting wet i thought “those elephants have got the right idea about life!”

mergatroid

I agree. Sometimes I would like to explore the countries more but don't except when it is raining. The rain makes it easier to linger longer, exploring the shops and displays I might otherwise skip or rush through.

I love Epcot too, but not in the rain. Last time there Mrs Merg and I had reservations for The Rose & Crown for 9pm (Illuminations at 10pm so perfect timing). We hit Epcot around 7pm to do some attractions and by 8:30pm, the heavens opened. I mean this was rain that meant business, the type that takes no prisoners. Now if we didn't make the Rose & Crown I'd lose the deposit, and you know how I don't like losing money!!!!

So we left Living with the Land around 8:40pm whilst all the sensible people remained there to see it out. We had our Mickey ponchos on with this stupid idea that they might keep us dry on the walk over, they didn't. Within a minute I was ankle deep in water (always a nice feeling) and within 2 minutes even my underwear was soaking wet and to this day I don't understand the science behind that part. We hit The Rose & Crown absolutely drenched and the icing on the cake was a guy hitting the canvas roof near the entrance with his umbrella, sending the water gathered on top of it splashing down on my head as I stood there like a lemon. Have you ever eaten in a restaurant absolutely soaking wet with water slushing around your underwear? No well let me tell you, it's not what you'd describe as a pleasant experience :cry:

So in answer to the OPs question, Mine's Disney Studios and not Epcot :)

twilight mitsuk

I love Epcot too, but not in the rain. Last time there Mrs Merg and I had reservations for The Rose & Crown for 9pm (Illuminations at 10pm so perfect timing). We hit Epcot around 7pm to do some attractions and by 8:30pm, the heavens opened. I mean this was rain that meant business, the type that takes no prisoners. Now if we didn't make the Rose & Crown I'd lose the deposit, and you know how I don't like losing money!!!!

So we left Living with the Land around 8:40pm whilst all the sensible people remained there to see it out. We had our Mickey ponchos on with this stupid idea that they might keep us dry on the walk over, they didn't. Within a minute I was ankle deep in water (always a nice feeling) and within 2 minutes even my underwear was soaking wet and to this day I don't understand the science behind that part. We hit The Rose & Crown absolutely drenched and the icing on the cake was a guy hitting the canvas roof near the entrance with his umbrella, sending the water gathered on top of it splashing down on my head as I stood there like a lemon. Have you ever eaten in a restaurant absolutely soaking wet with water slushing around your underwear? No well let me tell you, it's not what you'd describe as a pleasant experience :cry:

So in answer to the OPs question, Mine's Disney Studios and not Epcot :)

Sounds likes getting off kali river rapids

EricsBiscuit

MK is really fun because when it really rains there are ginormous puddles that all the kids splash in. This way while the kids are splashing everywhere, you can walk on Prince Charming's Regal Carousel!
IMG_5849.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom