Best Meal?

SallyShine

Original Poster
I would like to take my husband to a fabulous meal to thank him for taking us to WDW. With the exception of Victoria and Alberts (he won't want to bring a jacket and tie) what is the best restaurant at WDW?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Best meal: Braised Lamb Shank @ the Wave.

Best restaurant: Artist Point.

The Wave is nice, but I was unimpressed by the décor. Artist Point has great food and a wonderful décor IMO.

zurgandfriend

These ar my favorites, I have enjoyed a great meal at each of these resaurants, each is business casual.

1. Shula's
2. Yachtsman Steakhouse
3. California Grill
4. Jiko
5. Narcoosees

Phonedave

The real question is, what are his tastes in food. People have named Steakhouses, Seafood places, California Fusion, and Northwestern influnced all on the same list.

Despite it's removal of the 'holy dining grail' - the filet - from the menu, I still enjoy Artist Point very much - very rarely do I order a filet, Might as well order 'surf & turf' if going that route.

I do like California Grill as well, but that is a differnet atmosphere. Smaller portions, more artistic presentations, with all around brighter flavors.

Shulas is a steakhouse. Thats what you are going to get - steak. If you want something else, you might as well go to Peter Lugers and ask for a menu.

Chefs de France is another of my favorites, but if you are looking for a romantic, fine dining, establishment, that is NOT what you are going to find. Thats because that is not what it is supposed to be. It is a French Brasserie - think upscale causual. I have had all four main non-fish dishes there Short Ribs, Duck, Chicken, and *gasp* tenderloin (yeah, somtimes I do eat it. More often than not I try it because my 12 y/o daughter orders it) All are quite good with my nod going to the short ribs and the duck.

-dave

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Like Dave just said, not knowing what kind of food you're looking for, but I'll put a few favorites up.

If you want to eat in a park, I would highly recommend Bistro de Paris. It's a smaller place that is located above the Chef's de France. I'm suprised that alot of people don't know about it. My wife and I try to make a point to go every year. Elegant, wonderful food, and a bit more intimate than Chef's.

Outside the parks it gets a bit tougher to pick just one. Jiko is my favorite, but Callifornia Grill is very good as well, and like others have said, Artists Point is a nice place as well.

And you may want to check, but I thought I've read that Victoria and Alberts can provide a jacket and tie if you need one. Not sure on that though, so you may want to call.

Have fun!

Phonedave

Like Dave just said, not knowing what kind of food you're looking for, but I'll put a few favorites up.

If you want to eat in a park, I would highly recommend Bistro de Paris. It's a smaller place that is located above the Chef's de France. I'm suprised that alot of people don't know about it. My wife and I try to make a point to go every year. Elegant, wonderful food, and a bit more intimate than Chef's.

Outside the parks it gets a bit tougher to pick just one. Jiko is my favorite, but Callifornia Grill is very good as well, and like others have said, Artists Point is a nice place as well.

And you may want to check, but I thought I've read that Victoria and Alberts can provide a jacket and tie if you need one. Not sure on that though, so you may want to call.

Have fun!

You can also just jam a jacket into your normal luggage and have it pressed when you arrive. That's what I do on cruises. No need to drag around a garment bag. I unpack it and leave it for the room attendent. So it costs $10 - a small amount not to have to carry a garment bag and in the grand scheme of the vacation, a blip on the radar.

-dave

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
In all cases, I would ELIMINATE Artist's Point. While they had excellent offerings around 2008? They have dropped or cheapened most of these. I used to love the place - but they have descended to one of the TWO "fake signiture" restaurants on my list. I can only hope they act to fix this.
My son and I had by far our best restaurant experience at Artist Point earlier this month. The best steak we've ever had on property, wonderful mushroom soup appetizer and fantastic desserts. The service was perfect and I can comfortably say it was very much a Signature experience in every way.

I suppose everyone has their own opinion, but I would never "ELIMINATE" this restaurant from someone's options. :shrug:

Sloan

California Grill, Jiko, Citrico's, Chefs de France- Epcot

You're already getting good ideas from prior responses, I just wanted to add my opinion to the mix, as someone who goes to Disney in large part for the dining, and has had a lot of experience as a Tables in Wonderland cardholder:

California Grill

Jiko

Citrico's

Chefs de France - Epcot

Artist Point

All of these are excellent

My 'favorite' of this list is California Grill by a pretty wide margin, with Jiko second. The view at California Grill cannot be surpassed, and the atmosphere at Jiko and the Animal Kingdom Lodge is wonderful.

Atomicmickey

Everything I'm reading here is great--however, no love for?

Le Cellier

Ohana

Brown Derby

Teppan Edo

?

I"m just sayin', 's all.:wave:

A W Reezy

Personally I'm a Biergarten freak (EPCOT). There are NO German restuarants where I live so it's pretty much my only opportunity to pig out on some Sauerkraut.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
If you're looking for some quiet, elegant places to go, then I recommend:

Jiko
California Grill
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Flying Fish Cafe

Of those, my favorite would be Jiko, but you have to be adventurous. If he's a "steak and potatoes" guy, then you can't go wrong at Yachtsman.

Phonedave

ummm Dave? The comment on dropping AP wasn't made based on their lack of a filet :). Yes, they do still not have one - but the coup 'de grace was actually the Berry Cobbler. They got rid of the fresh Berry Cobbler, and now serve some kind of frozen pot pie thing... due to wastage and cost, as I understand it, yet they still ADVERTISE "Fresh Berry Cobbler". Sandy now makes the REAL AP Berry Cobbler at our home. That, and AP's incredibly salty salads pretty much did it for me.

To be honest, I was not thrilled with their berry cobbler when it was fresh berries. If there is something that is lacking at AP, it is the dessert selection. Having said that, the coffee three ways was excellent. They do seem to rotate their dessert offerings quite a bit though. But those berries are always on there.

As for salads, thats strange. I have never had a problem with any of their salads.

-dave

Phonedave

Everything I'm reading here is great--however, no love for?

Le Cellier

Not for a 'special meal' There are much better steakhouses on property. And if this is a 'thank you' dinner, I am getting the feeling it is at least sort of romantic. Le Cellier has you sitting in your neighbors lap

Again, not really an intimate place. As of late, I have found the food lacking. My 8 and 12 y/o kids are pretty much done with 'Ohana as well.

Brown Derby

I'll give you this one. I forgot about it (It think it is back on Trotsky's hit parade though)

Teppan Edo

Eh, not really intimate (with other people at your table) and, at least to me, the food and service is nothing really special. If someone is a fan of teppan dining, then I would say go. It is not a bad place, but it is not something I would go into expecting to be wowed.

-dave

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm now understanding Trotsky's problem with Artist Point: He hasn't been lately.

On the current menu:

Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes,
Blue Lake Green Beans, and Espresso Reduction 41.00

and

Artist Point Cobbler . . . Seasonal Berries, Almond Granola and
House-made Brown Sugar Ice Cream 10.00

or

Berry Mousse with Chocolate Ganache,
Vanilla Ice Cream and fresh Berries
A No Sugar Added Dessert 10.00

I had the Tenderloin and the Cobbler earlier this month and the Tenderloin was by far the best steak I have ever had anywhere on property.

SallyShine

Original Poster
I think I'm going to choose between Artist Point or California Grill. I do love the Wilderness Lodge, so it would be nice to have a reason to visit. Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom