best beaches close to disney

kathyjacks

Original Poster
:wave: i am sorry if this is not the right place for this question . I am just wondering where the best fl beach close to wdw is ? we want the softest cleanest cleanest sand and pretty beach/ water color/ cleanliness lol. W e are going to spend a couple days winding down after 10 days in disney before we head back to nc.

mdisney

dayton,coco and clear water are all great beaches. Coco is the closest i believe. all great beaches. dayton has a lot to do

napnet

Cocoa has some nice beaches (due east on 520) but I enjoy Melbourne beaches better (little south of cocoa). Less crowded and cleaner beaches. Cocoa and Daytona have too many tourists....

Chape19714

Come Visit Daytona/Ormond, my hometown!! :lol: Seriously, I'm not a beach person, but the Florida Panhandle beaces have the best sand...it comes right off! Too bad they're WAY far away, about 6 hours! I would also recommend anywhere from St. Augustine to Melborne/Cocoa. Daytona is good...but has some very "toruist infested" areas. If you decide on Daytona/Ormond...drop me a PM...i'll recommend some areas/hotels.

kathyjacks

Original Poster
i want to go to sanibel but hubby doesn't want to go to the other side of the state with extra driving . i m sad!

Pongo

napnet said:
Cocoa has some nice beaches (due east on 520) but I enjoy Melbourne beaches better (little south of cocoa). Less crowded and cleaner beaches. Cocoa and Daytona have too many tourists....

I hate our beaches in Melbourne. I'd say the total opposite.

I'm with Mad, Go over to the west. Siesta Key/Sarasota has BEAUTIFUL beaches. The best I've ever seen.

CrashNet

mdisney said:
also nudist beach by kenndy space center saw that online when looking for beaches when I was on the CP
Blizzard Beach... :lookaroun

or the Lagoon, though I've heard they're trying to clean up from a nasty storm that whipped through there a little while back.

:lookaroun

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But to be serious, there are great beaches both to the left and right of Disney. I would personnally recommend anything on the Gulf Coast side, Clearwater in particular. The water over there is so clear.

Pongo

cac2889 said:
Blizzard Beach... :lookaroun

or the Lagoon, though I've heard they're trying to clean up from a nasty storm that whipped through there a little while back.

:lookaroun

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But to be serious, there are great beaches both to the left and right of Disney. I would personnally recommend anything on the Gulf Coast side, Cocoa Beach in particular. The water over there is so clear.

Cocoa Beach is Atlantic coast, not Gulf :wave:

napnet

I agree the panhandle has the best beaches especially round here. no one knows about some of the best spots like St. George Island. The big bend area has sugar sand which is by far the best... soft and easy to clean off. but 4 hours away from Orlando isnt worth it unless you stay up here :)

Melbourne doesnt have the best beaches but have the least crowded that i have found. There are lots of little trails between properties (marked with signs) that give you nice almot private beaches. my favorite one is across the street from the pizza hut in Indiatlantic.

Pongo

napnet said:
Melbourne doesnt have the best beaches but have the least crowded that i have found. There are lots of little trails between properties (marked with signs) that give you nice almot private beaches. my favorite one is across the street from the pizza hut in Indiatlantic.

Yeah, Indiatlantic probably has the best beaches of any around Melbourne. When the big three hurricanes came through a couple years ago, they destroyed the dunes of Satellite Beach and Indian Harbor Beach. The shores have an EXTREMELY steep grade, which makes for rough surf. But Indiatlantic is probably the best bet of any Melbourne-area beaches.

Cocoa beach is the closest beach to Orlando (hence the renaming of the BeeLine to the BeachLine), and it also has some really nice beaches around around the Cocoa Beach Pier and Ron Jon (which may be moving to Canaveral soon, get there while you can!).

sillyspook13

mdisney said:
also nudist beach by kenndy space center saw that online when looking for beaches when I was on the CP
You're referring to Playalinda Beach. I cracked up every time I read that it was a good place to watch shuttle launches. I asked while watching footage of the return to flight launch, "Is that the nose cone or a sunbather viewed from the side?":rolleyes:

My personal favorite beaches are in the Tampa Bay area. They have everything from popular tourist destinations (Clearwater Beach) to historical landmarks (Fort De Soto) to islands that can only be reached by boat (Shell Key). And the shells there are great!

LSUxStitch

Cocoa = worst sand (very shelly) but awsome water.
Daytona = nice sand and water, but usually really crowded, plus I don't like the cars on the beach part.
Clearwater = BEST sand, and ok water.

Thats from my experiences while living down there, hopefully that helped.

If I were you, I'd do Clearwater :D

MissM

If you want clean and family friendly, don't do Clearwater beach. :hurl: I hate that place. There's almost no sand, it's always dirty and it's full of bars. Why people go there is beyond me.

Head a little further south. Treasure Island, Indian Rocks or my favorite, Madeira Beach. (Official site here)

If you want to see what it looks like, then all these photos were taken there:
http://giveneyestosee.com/m/photos/sept05-beach1.html
http://giveneyestosee.com/m/photos/sept05-beach2.html
http://giveneyestosee.com/m/photos/sept05-beach3.html
http://giveneyestosee.com/m/photos/sept05-beach4.html
http://giveneyestosee.com/m/photos/sept05-beach5.html

and...
http://www.giveneyestosee.com/m/photos/beach-photos-july04.html

Trust me. It's WAY nicer then Clearwater Beach. Quieter too.

On the Atlantic side, I enjoy Cocoa Beach myself. It's quite pretty.
-m

wbboy29

You want a beach with nice, beautiful, soft white sand?

Well according to a Travel Channel show I just watched last night (Florida's Top 10 Beaches) Siesta Key, near Sarasota, was listed at #4 and was voted the beach with the softest and prettiest sand in all of Florida. I really want to go check out that beach for myself now. I have only been to Cocoa (not a big fan, to shelly for me, but they do have "Ron John's Surf Shop") and New Smyrna (it's ok, better than Cocoa, but I've seen better). So if your looking for good sand go check out Siesta Key. According to the Travel Channel the beach is called Siesta Key because the sand is sooooo soft it makes you want to fall asleep on it. Yah, whatever, :lol:

Oh, by the way, on the same list Daytona came in at #10. I can't remember the exact number for Clearwater but I beleive is was either #6 or 7.

I hope that helps:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom