Beluga death at Sea World

michmousefan

Sea World is taking a page from the Church of Scientology's playbook -- since they can't defend their practices on their own merits (or lack thereof), they resort to slandering people who cross them using any means possible.

Didn't think SEA's PR response could get more ridiculous and shameful, but it just shows how much pure desperation is taking control of their agenda.

BuzzKillington

Sea World is taking a page from the Church of Scientology's playbook -- since they can't defend their practices on their own merits (or lack thereof), they to slandering people who cross them using any means possible.

And John Hargrove has taken a page from the playbook of mindlessly agenda-driven organizations like PeTA to peddle his book of anti-science, anti-research agenda through a recourse of outright lies and misrepresentations. As a result, well-intentioned but gullible people like you keep foolishly spreading these lies, wreaking immeasurable havoc with the public understanding of SeaWorld and the importance it holds with respect to animal research.

BuzzKillington

I couldn't agree more with the NAACP's take on this issue. John Hargrove has no credibility and only weak-minded individuals would take him for his word. What a disgusting human!!

NAACP-CA Statement On Former Whale Trainer John Hargrove's Use Of Racial Slurs

SACRAMENTO,April 3, 2015/PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today,Alice Huffman, President of the California State NAACP issued the following statement in response to the publicized release of a video showing former whale trainerJohn Hargrove'srepeated use of racial slurs. Hargrove is on a publicity tour promoting a book "Beneath the Surface" about the treatment of whales.

"Eight years ago, the NAACP officially laid to rest the "N" word in a symbolic funeral in an attempt to remove this word from not only our vocabulary, but our spirit. It is cruel and denigrating and has no place in society. Mr. Hargrove's repeated use of this derogatory and hurtful word calls into question his judgment and his credibility. It is difficult to accept his authority on animal welfare issues if he does not treat fellow humans with dignity and respect."

Founded in 1909, the NAACP - the nation's oldest, largest and most widely-recognized grassroots–based civil rights organization - is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year. Its more than half-million members and supporters throughoutthe United Statesand the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities, conducting voter mobilization and monitoring equal opportunity in the public and private sectors

SOURCE CA-NAACP

michmousefan

And John Hargrove has taken a page from the playbook of mindlessly agenda-driven organizations like PeTA to peddle his book of anti-science, anti-research agenda through a recourse of outright lies and misrepresentations. As a result, well-intentioned but gullible people like you keep foolishly spreading these lies, wreaking immeasurable havoc with the public understanding of SeaWorld and the importance it holds with respect to animal research.
I'm not criticizing Sea World's animal rescue operations -- the work they do for Sea Lions and Manatees is admirable. But once most of these creatures are healed, they are released back into the wild. What I and many others find offensive are the captivity in relatively tiny pools, the unnatural living conditions, and forcing them to jump through hoops for the rest of their lives.

As @BuddyThomas mentioned, opinions are changing -- no more waterwork (trainers in the water with orcas) in shows now, soon... hopefully... no more orca shows (or dolphin or sea lion shows as well). Times are changing; we are just hoping to effect that change sooner rather than later.

And as for being gullible -- seems like those who blindly accept the PR and agenda of a multi-million dollar corporation are the ones who need to re-evaluate.

BuzzKillington

I just watched the Believe show (again) and I get chills every time I see it. I was very fortunate to experience this show live and I hope my kids will one day be able to see it too. Such a shame the animal activist took the experience of the trainer/whale relationship from our children. Dawn is in the third act and it was obvious she died doing what she loved. Beautiful.

Last edited:

michmousefan

I couldn't agree more with the NAACP's take on this issue. John Hargrove has no credibility and only weak-minded individuals would take him for his word. What a disgusting human!!

NAACP-CA Statement On Former Whale Trainer John Hargrove's Use Of Racial Slurs
Yeah, you keep beating that drum of misdirection - we'll see how it works out for you.

Donald Razorduck

It wasn't animal activists, it was The Occupational Safety and Health Administration. They fined SeaWorld for putting their workers in danger and that's why the court ruled for the trainers to say out of the water and interact only behind barriers. OSHA is a federal agency and the ruling was done by the court system.

The one thing I definitely took away from Blackfish was that these animals really are unpredictable (for whatever reason) and it's too risky for the trainers to be in the water. Yes it's a choice to work there and to enter the water when allowed but there are way more incidents than what I knew about and it's scary.

The shows were definitely better when the trainers were in the water but is it really worth people dying and getting hurt?
My Dad was a crop duster. Once saw him crash on landing with my own two eyes. He walked away, fortunately. He was back in the air soon after. Point is, people choose their professions and the risks it involves. I have a good friend that's a flight nurse on a helecopter. They have crashes regularly and they die, she accepts the risks of her profession knowing full well its a pretty dangerous occupation.

I can't agree with OSHA on this considering how biased the investigator seems to be against Seaworld. I mean, going to Blackfish movie festivals with the crew of the film, come on. All hints of impartiality flew out the window and it wasn't even Seaworld that first discovered that.

Up on my Seaworld stock buy too. Double digits.

NormC

So you hypocrites put more "trust" in a flaming narcissist who for all intensive purposes was a dedicated employee to SW for 14 years, defended them on social media, extolled them to interns and then all of a sudden discovered that SW was evil? If you believe that, then there's a book John wants to sell you.
The proper phrase is "for all intents and purposes"

BuzzKillington

It wasn't animal activists, it was The Occupational Safety and Health Administration. They fined SeaWorld for putting their workers in danger and that's why the court ruled for the trainers to say out of the water and interact only behind barriers. OSHA is a federal agency and the ruling was done by the court system.
Ha!! Another example of our government picking on those who don't kowtow to their liberal agenda.

SeaWorld's orca trainers are in the same league as football players, race car drivers and other high risk sports athletes who want to perform in an activity despite known risk of serious injury. To be fearless, courageous, tough– to perform a sport or activity at the highest levels of human capacity, even in the face of known physical risk– is among the greatest forms of personal achievement.

Hang in there folks because only 579 more days until talk of trainers going back into the water resumes.

919Florida

What is this talk about trainers returning? I have heard zero about this and I know SeaWorld fairly well. I know the trainers are in the water when they don't have shows but SeaWorld has even said trainers in the water during shows will never happen.

BuzzKillington

What is this talk about trainers returning? I have heard zero about this and I know SeaWorld fairly well. I know the trainers are in the water when they don't have shows but SeaWorld has even said trainers in the water during shows will never happen.

SeaWorld has tried 5 times to appeal this discriminatory ruling to no avail. They will lay low until 579 days from now when the seas are more favorable (pun intended).

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Ha!! Another example of our government picking on those who don't kowtow to their liberal agenda.

SeaWorld's orca trainers are in the same league as football players, race car drivers and other high risk sports athletes who want to perform in an activity despite known risk of serious injury. To be fearless, courageous, tough– to perform a sport or activity at the highest levels of human capacity, even in the face of known physical risk– is among the greatest forms of personal achievement.

Hang in there folks because only 579 more days until talk of trainers going back into the water resumes.
Since you are so anxious for this, why don't you volunteer to be the first one in the water.

Last edited:

BuzzKillington

Since you are so anxious for this, why don't you volunteer to be the first one in the water.

Because I wasn’t gifted the extraordinary passion and life ambition to work with these creatures like most of the trainers were. You radical activist have not only denied the bond shared between the whale and trainer but your discriminatory actions have also negated this experience from the public.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Because I wasn’t gifted the extraordinary passion and life ambition to work with these creatures like most of the trainers were. You radical activist have not only denied the bond shared between the whale and trainer but your discriminatory actions have also negated this experience from the public.
Thanks for never disappointing with your name calling. No one here is a "radical activist". And the public is just fine. They still get to shove fistfuls of popcorn down their throats while watching some of the most intelligent creatures on Earth being forced to do jumps in their concrete pools. You're like that mayor in Jaws. Everyone get back in the water.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Radical activist? You realize this is a theme park forum, right? Pretty sure the only radicals are those clamoring for the return of the Dreamfinder. More troglodytic prattle....

BuzzKillington

Here is a very interesting article from the Wall Street Journal, analyzing Sea World's current marketing efforts:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-252B-6794

If that link is asking you to log in or subscribe, you can get the same article from here:

http://savejapandolphins.org/blog/post/wsj-seaworld-has-a-whale-of-a-problem

Those lawsuits are nothing but baseless publicity stunts by the radical animal activist and they will be dismissed in no time flat. Could you imagine the precedence this would set if these charlatans won? No more zoos, aquariums pet stores, etc.... Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites who sanction legalized murder of humans yet get their panties in a wad over the living quarters of a bunch of domesticated orcas.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Those lawsuits are nothing but baseless publicity stunts by the radical animal activist and they will be dismissed in no time flat. Could you imagine the precedence this would set if these charlatans won? No more zoos, aquariums pet stores, etc.... Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites who sanction legalized murder of humans yet get their panties in a wad over the living quarters of a bunch of domesticated orcas.
You are on the wrong side of history, but keep up the good fight.

And what is this so called "legalized murder of humans"? As usual I have no idea what you are possibly talking about, and nor does it probably have any thing to do with this topic.

michmousefan

You are on the wrong side of history, but keep up the good fight.

And what is this so called "legalized murder of humans"? As usual I have no idea what you are possibly talking about, and nor does it probably have any thing to do with this topic.
It's obvious Mr. Buzz is clutching at straws, as he no longer has a leg to stand on.

The key comment from the WSJ article:
Writes Jennifer Vickery, chief executive of National Strategies Public Relations: "With anti-zoo sentiments and revealing documentaries, no counter communication will fix the issue. SeaWorld is better off evolving into a rehabilitation center and helping wildlife directly in their habitat while educating the public and children about animal care."

It's only a matter of time before this happens. Other countries are introducing tougher regulations on in-captivity marine mammals; the US will catch up soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom