Bell Services

edh

Original Poster
Well its getting closer to when I go, so I was bringing this back up to see if anyone has any more information about Bell Services. It sounds like I will probably be a lobby greeter, which I would enjoy. I am still not 100% sure about everything, so any info would be helpful.

edh

Original Poster
So nobody knows? Im sure everyone has been to the disney hotels, and seen them so I was wondering what to expect. And what are the hours usually like for them?

HS0411

So nobody knows? I'm sure everyone has been to the Disney hotels, and seen them so I was wondering what to expect. And what are the hours usually like for them?

I just completed a role at Front Desk at the All-Star resort back in May. Bell Services have been outsourced at the three All-Stars, as well as Pop Century. I did bell services at both All-Stars and Fort Wilderness. I loved it. It was so much better than the front desk in my opinion. It's alot more personal time with the guest. You actually get to talk to them and find out information about them. It is alot of hard work though, moving 50 lbs bags of luggage. And the FL sun isn't forgiving. At the two resorts I worked at, each one was very different on set-up. All-Stars used luggage carts and we ran around the resort to deliver luggage. At Fort Wilderness we had van to deliver luggage (it is over 700 acres). You may not always get a upfront role with the guest. A big aspect of luggage is working with the Disney Magical Express. We have a building away from the lobbies at the All-Stars to handle it. It can get pretty crazy.

As for location, it could be just about anywhere. My personal bet would be at one of the Moderate (CBR, PDQ, POURS, CS) or DC (OK, SR) because their bell services do not work on a tipped scale like many of the deluxe resorts work.

Costumes can be anything. It will just fit the theme. I worked at 11 of the resorts during my program and I wore everything from blue pants and sneakers at the All-Star to vests and ties at Port Orleans to blue jeans at Fort Wilderness. You will just look the part.

edh

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. Its to bad the moderate ones dont give tips, but oh well. It would be nice to get to get some extra cash for delivering bags to the rooms. Even driving the cart or van would be fun. Do they move you around the hotels, or are you mainly at one of them.

HS0411

Let me get this straight. You can and most likely WILL get tips for your work. Besides full service f&b servers and other traditionally tipped service positions, no other tips are allowed to taken unless you refuse three times.

In a dream world, you really won't move around. After 90 days (a probationary period), you are eligible to be deployed to another resort to help out with their staffing needs. I started my program at Fort Wilderness and then got deployed to the All-Stars for three months and then asked to stay there permanently when I extended my program. Through deployment, I worked the the WL, POURS, BR, SR, All-Star, and FE. There is also another thing you can do and pick up shifts at other resorts. It is called Extra Hours Hotline (EHH). That's how I worked at CS, POFQ, and Pop. It's alot of fun. And you get a costume at each location!

edh

Original Poster
Thats great news. A few people I asked said they try not to give the CP people roles with tips. I guess not.

HS0411

Thats great news. A few people I asked said they try not to give the CAP people roles with tips. I guess not.

Bell Services is the only role that CPs can do and get tips. I would say that tipping is discourage though because you are already getting paid a base salary. You cannot wait around with your hand out for a tip. The guest must make the offer. That's why there are no "tipped positions" for CPs. You supposed to drop off the luggage and leave, but as I said if they offer a tip when you leave, by all means take it. It helped me out so much when I needed money.

edh

Original Poster
Ah, I see. I guess if the guest is feeling nice, then your in luck. Sure tips are a big plus but I also chose that roll because your the first person to meet the guests, and its not going to be as bad as some other roles. I would hate to be working in fast food all day. And I am sure there are buisy times, and times where your not really doing anything. What are hours usually like? I am sure they cant be as bad as working in the park.

HS0411

Hours are defiantly not the most pleasant to be very honest. The front desk is open 24 hours a day, with a bell services team (at least at the All-Stars) open from 5:30AM to 12:00AM. Hours depended on the day. Longer hours were on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

edh

Original Poster
Thats to bad. I guess its different all the time. I just don't want to have to be at work at 5:30, but I bet nobody is even awake by then. And I was wondering. I saw pictures of these people in really fancy outfits at the nice hotels just opening the doors and helping guests with questions. Is that part of what I do?

bsummer

Thats to bad. I guess its different all the time. I just don't want to have to be at work at 5:30, but I bet nobody is even awake by then. And I was wondering. I saw pictures of these people in really fancy outfits at the nice hotels just opening the doors and helping guests with questions. Is that part of what I do?

Expect the worst hours...you'll get them! And no...that won't be part of your job. It's usually either a front desk manager or someone from the front desk scheduled to work there because if the guest were to have a question about their room or dining or something..they could just walk them over and help them. So...unless you get cross trained at the front desk...don't expect to do that.

edh

Original Poster
Didn't hurt to ask about those greeters. But the only thing I hope is I don't get shifts that start at 5:30. That would completely suck because I would have to go to bed at like 9:30. I am just glad I have a car, because I could not seeing my self wake up at 4:00 in the morning to go to work for a bus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom