Beginnings of Tomorrowland Revamp?

filmy3

Original Poster
I know this has probably been brought up a million times but over on screamscape they just posted that there the People Mover and the Astro Orbiter are going to be closed from June 2nd until August 4th for the People Mover and until September 19th for the Astro Orbiter. This has me thinking that this could be the start of an entire park facelift for the 50th anniversary of Magic Kingdom in 2021. Regardless, we can all agree that Tomorrowland needs a little bit of tlc.
Has anyone heard anything or speculate anything?

Kman101

Astro's apparently undergoing a very extensive refurb and the planets should spin again, but we'll see what they do. PeopleMover isn't getting much, apparently. MAYBE some sprucing up.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
This isn't enough to constitute a facelift. Not by far.
Let me know when they get larger rockets on Astro and add a component so it's more than a standard spinner, and add show scenes to TTA, and fix it so the cars don't crash at load. And, as long as I'm dreaming, TTA needs onboard audio, a better load system at both attractions... and a pony. I also want a pony.

bakhuizen

Definately not a re-do - refresher possibly. I'll agree - TTA needs an on-board sound system and some show scenes - but it is still the most comfortable and relaxing trip in the Magic Kingdom. Astro would be great if they could increase its capacity - it may not be that thrilling for adults but it is a perfect family ride - a step above Dumbo. Tommorwland lacks some continuity - a bit of a hodge-podge of attractions. Maybe it is time to update the Speedway and move the Carousel of Progress to Epcot.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
This refurbishment was supposed to start on February 14th and was delayed without a future date for refurbishment announced at that time.

Now we have the new date. It needs help. It has been breaking down. There seems to be some other issues in that area of the People Mover and Orbiter too. There have been 2 or 3 small electrical type fires around that area if I am remembering correctly.

Kman101

This post explains what is being done:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...et-for-summer-2014.880991/page-2#post-5970379

Astro Orbiter is going down for two reasons. One is to address the Rocket Tower Plaza building structure itself (including the elevators). The next is to address the ride Astro Orbiter. The building will be nearly stripped down to it's base redone with new flooring and ceilings. The elevators should be getting replaced as well. The lighting around The Lunching Pad restaurant and Astro Orbiter queue will be brighter. Up on top, the Astro Orbiter will be completely dismantled and rebuilt. The spinning planets will be returning, and they are hoping to making one of the rockets more ADA friendly. Rocket size will still probably remain the same, just an easier way for wheelchairs to climb into the rocket. There will also be some updates to the ride control system and lots of fresh paint.

Of course, plans could change.

NearTheEars

This isn't enough to constitute a facelift. Not by far.
Let me know when they get larger rockets on Astro and add a component so it's more than a standard spinner, and add show scenes to TTA, and fix it so the cars don't crash at load. And, as long as I'm dreaming, TTA needs onboard audio, a better load system at both attractions... and a pony. I also want a pony.

I think the speed it reaches makes it a little better than the average WDW spinner. I didn't expect it to get so fast once it got going. Good thing I was holding tightly onto my phone while I was trying to take some pictures ha.

What I'm not a big fan of is waiting to get in the smelly elevator.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Are they going to address the ridiculous mouse problem that they have At The lunching pad?

Well thanks for that. Sure glad I wasn't hungry when it came time to get my pretzel a few weeks ago. Ewe.
Won't be eating from there any time soon.

I remember back a few years ago, the Board of Health violation reports for all of Walt Disney World were posted online. That link stopped having current reports added to it a couple years ago. Wish the violations were still posted.

ZodIsGr8

I think the speed it reaches makes it a little better than the average WDW spinner. I didn't expect it to get so fast once it got going. Good thing I was holding tightly onto my phone while I was trying to take some pictures ha.

What I'm not a big fan of is waiting to get in the smelly elevator.
Only ride at all of WDW that makes me sick. This ride is worse on me then the Tea Cups! Still love it but boy do I get dizzy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom