Trip Report Been Back for 10 Months, what better time to write the TR...

Hey oh! I'm back on the boards! There was a long time when I was just too exhausted from working 14 hour days/not being at a computer at work for said 14 hours where I wasn't on these boards much, if at all. The combination of the work hours + not knowing when we'll be back in WDW meant I had to keep away or else I'd find myself longing for the lost World... Disney World (lost because I won't be there for a while). Well, I'm back at a desk job since February and slowly started reintegrating myself into the boards since. After much reading, and much more reading, and some talking with my gf about how "I should really write that trip report" it's finally time that I really DO write THIS trip report.

For those of you who don't know (or remember since it's been so long), I'm AJ and my travel partner/gf is Alex (Lexi on the boards). Here I am bothering her before we enter Animal Kingdom:
wdw201328312012405.jpeg

Nice necklace she has there right? Yeah, I found that on the street outside a restaurant after we had dinner one night. BOOM!

Our dates down in the World were October 9, 2013 (yikes) to October 16, 2013. A nice eight down jaunt during the Food and Wine Fest (a triumphant return, we'd been during 2010, but skipped it our next trip).

Any way, her and I teamed up to work on the PTR for this trip about, oh... 16 months ago. For all the things I don't remember being written by the two of us you can click this link. I hope you enjoy gratuitous food photos and a lot of digression because it is now time for what you actually came for, a Trip Report!

Day 1, October 9:

After a disappointing night of staying up late to watch the Rangers get dismantled by the by the SJ Sharks in San Jose (of course the game started at 10 PM) it was an early wake up call to catch the first flight out of JFK on JetBlue down to MCO (who on these boards really doesn't know what MCO is? We're all obsessed, we all know the airport code). We always end up getting the cheapest flight down there from JFK, it helps that Alex's parents live a 15 minute drive from the airport and that JetBlue gives the "one free checked bag per person" since our trips to WDW are the only time I'll travel with a suitcase.

We landed at MCO a little before 10 AM and were on our way to the DME bus. I won't get over how great DME is, I just throw a pair of shorts and a few other essentials in my carry-on in case our bags take longer to get to the hotel than expected. By 11 AM we were at our resort and in our room. We were thrilled that our room was ready when we got there (we've yet to have an issue with this, fingers crossed, knock on wood, whatever you want to say about that). We were staying at Pop Century and we're pretty impressed with the room to be honest. We had stayed at All-Star Movies back in 2010 and weren't too sure what to expect from Pop. All told, we were happy with it. Growing up in the 90's I wasn't too pumped when I found out our room number:

IMG_2619.JPG

I was hoping for the 50's, 60's or 80's (even though I was born in the 80's, maybe that's why I have an affinity for the decade). Any who, here's a shot of our room:

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

Not too shabby eh? We prefer the two beds because we like to live as if we're in an episode of I Love Lucy. That's actually not true, the second bed always end up being something or a souvenir/park maps space.

I don't remember where I spotted this (there might be more of this in this TR considering it was 10 months since we were there), but I'm glad I got a shot of it:

IMG_2945.JPG

Is it me or is 1986 the easiest year on this to spot? Maybe because it's the best year ever, without it, you wouldn't be so lucky to have this awesome TR to read. Also, without it, there'd be some serious funny business going on in the space time continuum.

Enough of this resort business, we didn't come here to spend time in the room (which is why we booked a value). We were in WDW and it was time to hit the parks! What better way to get yourself in the Disney spirit on your first day in the World than by making your first stop Magic Kingdom? Is there a better way? There really isn't.

IMG_2373.JPG

Hello beautiful, you big lush green bush you. Oh, wait, I mean you back there! Isn't she a sight for sore eyes? (That's a phrase I've never understood, if my eyes are sore I don't want to be seeing any sights, I want to close my eyes. Depending on how sore maybe with a bag of ice on them.) Anyway! We wasted no time heading over to Tomorrowland (because it's the best) and hit up Space Mountain (because it's the best). You can't tell it's us in this photo, but I know it is. We're like shadow people (except much less horrifying):

IMG_2378.JPG

Having gotten the momentous "First Ride" taken care of it was time for the (to me, in this case) less momentous "First Meal." For this we went over to Cosmic Ray's. It's something of a habit for us to get some QS meal when it comes to the first meal of the trip, something about being up since 5 AM and being on a plane for a few hours doesn't lend itself kindly to an elaborate sit down meal the first time I eat while I'm in WDW. (One or both of us would probably fall asleep at the table.) So what did this delicious first meal consist of? Alex decided on the kid's chicken nugget meal (because WDW has some awesome chicken nuggets, and lets not even get into the fries, they're the best) and I went with a plain old hot dog. Plain. Old. Hot Dog. Except when I hit up that sweet fixins' bar! Plain old hot dog? NAY! More like AMAZING CHEESE DOG WITH DICED ONIONS!

IMG_2380.JPG

This is not really the type of meal that lends itself to a review in this space, it gets the job done. It's very good (I like hot dogs more than any normal person should, and WDW has some good dogs) and after being up rather early and on a plane it's good enough to supplement the adrenaline we work on on our first day in the World. After lunch we decided to grab a pair of Fast Passes to Buzz because, well because we could still. We knew that this would most likely be our last chance to get legit paper Fast Passes, so we got as many as we could. Look at these beauties:

IMG_2381.JPG

Don't get me wrong, I think the Magic Band is pretty awesome. We only had one or two little hiccups while using ours on this trip when it came to Fast Pass usage, getting in the room the only reason it wouldn't work at the end of long days would probably be user error/laziness/exhaustion. There is something about those little paper tickets getting spit out of those Fast Pass machines though that I will miss. Oh well, onward and upward, or whatever they say.

To be honest, from what I remember there wasn't much of a line for a lot of the rides we got paper Fast Passes for. We did it more for a little collection of our own, when we did need to use the we would, but for the most part, we still have them. Back to Buzz, basically every on ride photo we have from Buzz throughout our three trips Alex and I have the same general look on our faces. That look is something like this:

wdw201328211739081.jpeg

I get very, very into this ride. Very into it. After such an intense spin on Buzz we decided to relax a bit on the PeopleMover.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
As a French 75 fan I am appalled when bar tenders can not properly make or execute this drink. Recently on a cruise I had a bartender at the "Martini Bar" where the French 75 was on the menu shake up all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker, and another bartender at the same bar make it with vodka. :banghead:

1. What kind of bartender shakes a champagne cocktail with the champagne in it? That's like Bartending 101 when it comes to what not to do. 2. Why would a bartender think, "hmm, she wants a French 75... it MUST have vodka in it!"

We were at a restaurant with my best friend up in Boston and Alex said she had the best French 75 she's ever tasted up there. The waitress was a big fan of them as well.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
I live about 45 minutes from Abita. We like going down for the tour sometimes, lots of fun, plus I love me some Abita beer!

I noticed we haven't seen any light fixtures in awhile!

I'd love to take the Abita tour sometime. As for the light fixtures, I don't know what happened there. I think she got lighted out after a few days. Pleepleus was resting, I guess next time I write a TR the game will have to be, whenever we have a drink, you have a drink.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
The pulled pork slider looks yummy! I'm just catching up on your more recent posts now but am still really enjoying this TR, you have me all excited for my trip!

You're going to have a great time. I've been looking at some reviews of this year's F&W over at the Disney Food Blog and some of the stuff sounds great.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 8 - Part 2:

Since the main reason we decided to spend our last day in Epcot was because it was our best food option, it was time for food. So we took the short hike over to Japan so Alex could get her lunch, you probably guessed it:

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

Udon noodles and a lemon slush in a big cup from France. There really is a ton of noodles in that dish, so it can be pulled off as a meal on its own. Alex doesn't eat much in a sitting, so it works perfectly for her, and it's delicious.

IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3789.JPG

Once we decided it was time to move on we ran into these gentlemen:

IMG_3790.JPG

We stayed to watch for a little, which I'm happy we did since, guess what, they won't be there next time we go! That seems to be a trend for this TR. We weren't going to spend much time at the American Adventure today though because I had my eyes set on the prize when it came to eating my lunch. We blasted right by Italy (despite part of my heritage) and planted ourselves firmly where the good stuff was:

IMG_3794.JPG

I kept telling myself I would get something to eat here the last trip but I never did and I regretted it for well over a year. I made sure that that would not happen this time around, I mean look at all these options:

IMG_3792.JPG

How the heck would someone even eat one of those enormous rice krispie treats? Next time I'm in WDW I'll have to have a separate budget for just this shop (food, booze, Karamell-Kuche, and yes, we do have a legitimate booze budget for our trips separate from food and souvenirs, does that surprise any one that read this entire TR?). I had made my pick and it was time to get into it:

IMG_3791.JPG

Why get just caramel when you can get caramel rolled with marshmallow cream? Hard to pass up:

IMG_3793.JPG

This was delicious. For those keeping track, for the day I've ingested two beers and a caramel/marshmallow candy... Epcot was definitely taking care of business for me so far. I wasn't complaining. There was still one booth that I was curious to try one of its food items, and luckily it wasn't very far from Germany:

IMG_3795.JPG

Stick around to see what I got...

Last edited:

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 8 - Part 3:

The Berbere-style Beef:

IMG_3800.JPG

This was a strange dish. I was staunchly neutral on it. It had a nice spice, but it was rather bland, it tasted how it looked. Oh well. I knew the best way to get some food I'd be very satisfied with so we marched on over to Mexico:

IMG_3802.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG

Because I haven't shown you that menu enough in this TR, but I decided to go with the Shrimp Taco again, and here it is:

IMG_3803.JPG

Oh wait. Well, that's where it was. After that failed attempt at eating at the Africa booth I was pretty ravenous, so that explains why this taco didn't last long enough for Alex to get a picture. Oh well, there was a pretty decent picture of it in one of the Day 2 posts. We were happy that we that there was a PhotoPass person in Mexico, so we were able to get a few pictures while we were here:

wdw201328913502811.jpeg

wdw201328913502814.jpeg

After Mexico we doubled back and went over to Norway, there was no way we could leave without enjoying the Maelstrom one last time ever. EVER, what a bunch of crap:

IMG_3804.JPG

Is the new sign going to say "You may get cold?" Give me a break.

IMG_3805.JPG

And that 20 minute stand-by entrance was closer to three minutes. Always the best.

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

I'll be so upset if this view is gone when they reopen this as a Frozen ride.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 8 - Part 4:

And finally:

IMG_3815.JPG

Farewell Maelstrom, some day I will tell my children about you and they'll look at me like I'm nuts. We found more PhotoPass!

wdw201328913508771.jpeg

wdw201328913513157_19.jpeg

That spot up there is where we encountered one of the guests that CMs must deal with and think, "what an a-hole." While the photographer was telling us how to pose for this one a guy walked up to him and said, "So, what magic shots you got?" with the amazing oratory skills (sarcasm), and when the photograph told him which he had, while trying to talk to us, the guy responded with, "oh, I got those, you're no help to me, later pal." Thanks jerk, you're not help to the photographer either.

wdw201328913513158.jpeg

Before calling it quits on WS for our trip there were two things we had to do one last time. For Alex:

IMG_3816.JPG

It's not a lemon slush from France! She decided she wanted one last go at these pot stickers, and who could blame her, they were great. As for me, it was back to Germany:

IMG_3819.JPG

You can't fight a pretzel bun. I'm bummed we never got a picture of this before I started eating it, the thing was literally twice the size of the bun, it was kind of comical. Outstanding, highly suggested. Now, we couldn't just leave Epcot and head back to Pop without spending at least a little more time in Future World. Since the park was fairly empty (Future World almost barren), we decided we had to go to the Character Spot, we waited on line all of five minutes. Please enjoy our Character Spot photos:

wdw201328913538584.jpeg

wdw201328913538585.jpeg

wdw201328913538799.jpeg

wdw201328913538800.jpeg

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 8 - Part 5:

This next one is my favorite:

wdw201328913540123.jpeg

wdw201328913540125.jpeg

wdw201328913540126.jpeg

We were at the Character Spot on our first trip and we were upset this time around to see that Donald and Pluto were no longer there. Donald is the best! We were down to our last hour of park time, time to get some final shots, mostly of Monorail gold:

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3822.JPG

And who doesn't like a close up shot of the inverted fountain? Crazy people, that's who.

IMG_3823.JPG

We had time for one more thing before we needed to head back to Pop. There was really no choice in what it would be, it was predetermined back during my first trip, and Alex could only agree with me:

IMG_3824.JPG

That's right. One final spin on SSE to end our trip. here's no other way.

IMG_3825.JPG

Look how upset we look:

IMG_3828.JPG

Did you think we'd be all smiles? Not at this point.

ArtieJim

Original Poster
Day 8 - Part 6:

I think I was looking pretty sharp though, although I wasn't very happy about it:

IMG_3826.JPG

Once we were off we walked directly toward the exit. Goodbye Spaceship Earth, you beautiful big golf ball:

IMG_3830.JPG

So long Food & Wine Festival, you brought us great pleasure throughout the week:

IMG_3831.JPG

We tasted our way around the world and then some. Once we got back to Pop we had some time so we grabbed our checked bags and waited. Here comes our chariot:

IMG_3832.JPG

Looking good, but I don't like you.

IMG_3834.JPG

And in no time we were on our way to MCO. Definitely the worst part of any WDW trip. And just like that, this TR has come to a close. I hope you all thoroughly enjoyed following along. It took longer to write than I expected, but hey, the TR before this took me like four months to write. Thanks for reading. I look forward to reading all your TRs now that when I'm on the boards it won't be to write, but to read.

Take care everyone, have a great time on any upcoming trips you may have. Alex and I won't be back for at least another year so I'm looking forward to following along your trips. See you all on the boards!

dancingtodisney

You're going to have a great time. I've been looking at some reviews of this year's F&W over at the Disney Food Blog and some of the stuff sounds great.

Ye I've been checking that out myself too! Only downside is that with all this amazing food I’ll probably have to be rolled around the half marathon course!

mrdrift

Great trip report with some really fantastic pictures. It really is bad news that Maelstrom is closing for a Frozen attraction. Thanks for sharing your incredible trip with us. Hope the trip home was safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom