Beach Club or AKL?

JusticeDisney

Very very easily. I've stayed at BCV many times and more often than not I prefer the quiet pool. It's called an opinion and I have valid reasons why.

The actual pool area is too small for the amount of people in it.
The chairs are crammed together so tight it's hard to get on them. If you can find them at all. Lack of covered seating to is big.
The pool is so spread out you cannot find people easily.
The slide entrance is outside of the pool area so you are utterly exposed to people out in public as you get to it. Plus the slide isn't great.
The lazy river is too small to be useful and is too deep and slow so you constantly run into people.
The service from the bar area is pathetic.
The sand on the bottom gets everywhere and bugs me.

Are those enough reasons? Not everyone has to like it, but honestly Kidani's pool is far better in many ways to us and I'll stand by that any day. I think SAB is way too over hyped for what it is.
Wait a second.

The pool is too small AND the pool is too spread out? So, I guess the pool should be larger, but somehow less spread out at the same time?

And the lazy river is too small? How's the lazy river at the AKL pools?

You are "utterly exposed to people out in public?" Ummmmmmmmm, what?!?! LOL!

JusticeDisney

IMO, Beach Club wins this contest all day, every day. Far better location, a pool with no equal, the best collection of restaurants within walking distance. I could go on and on.

Also, if you do decide to go with AKL, just be prepared to spend half of your vacation waiting for and then taking transportation to and from everywhere you go.

slappy magoo

Very very easily. I've stayed at BCV many times and more often than not I prefer the quiet pool. It's called an opinion and I have valid reasons why.

The actual pool area is too small for the amount of people in it.
The chairs are crammed together so tight it's hard to get on them. If you can find them at all. Lack of covered seating to is big.
The pool is so spread out you cannot find people easily.
The slide entrance is outside of the pool area so you are utterly exposed to people out in public as you get to it. Plus the slide isn't great.
The lazy river is too small to be useful and is too deep and slow so you constantly run into people.
The service from the bar area is pathetic.
The sand on the bottom gets everywhere and bugs me.

Are those enough reasons? Not everyone has to like it, but honestly Kidani's pool is far better in many ways to us and I'll stand by that any day. I think SAB is way too over hyped for what it is.

Wait a second.

The pool is too small AND the pool is too spread out? So, I guess the pool should be larger, but somehow less spread out at the same time?

The original quote was that the pool is too small "for the amount of people in it." Now that's bound to vary - the one time I used the BC pool was this past April a few hours before leaving to go back home (it was only a 2 day trip). I was there when the pool opened and there were 20 people in it tops, but I've also walked past at times that it was packed like sardines.

And by spread out, it isn't one big obvious shape like an oval or circle, but has, as has been said "nooks and crannies." If you're a parent trying to keep an eye on more than one kid, that's problematic, especially if they're not playing together.

I also agree that it can feel a bit weird to be soaking wet, walking to the water slide entrance past people who are not dressed for the pool, either going to/from parkds, maybe dressed for dinner. It does feel a bit like you're on display.

Yes, there is no lazy river at any of the VAK pools (but again my kids went nuts for the splash area), but I was a bit disappointed in the lazy river at SAB as well. Better than no lazy river at all.

There's a possibility I'll take my wife and kids to stay in BC one day (but honestly we live by the shore so the themes of both BC and BW aren't as unique to us). But we all prefer Animal Kingdom. We love the restaurants, the views, the pools as they are and splash areas. They feel less frenetic than the Epcot resorts (being further removed = less foot traffic and looky loos). It's a to each their own thing, but that's how we feel and clearly we're not alone.

TXDisney

BC is our favorite resort. AKL is right up there though. For me what would decide my resort is how much time I'd plan on spending at the joining parks. If you plan on doing Epcot and HS a good amount do stay at BC.

NelsonRD

It is amazing to me that debates still occur with the Animal Kingdom Lodge as an option. I have posted on this before, and the answer is always Animal Kingdom Lodge - always. Do not let others downplay the resorts proximity to the parks, or size, or darkness of the rooms, or pools, because the attraction of this hotel is the Safari, and if you are considering it, you should stay there at least once. No other hotel in the country is like it. It is a truly unique experience. Savanna rooms provide a legend of animals in the Safari, and it is fun to identify them, from your balcony. It always amazes me such a unique resort is often overlooked over minor details, that in no way overshadow the Safari. Other hotels do have some advantages, but nothing beats seeing/hearing a giraffe eating outside of your window.

correcaminos

Wait a second.

yay... I love debating people on opinions

The actual pool area (water area) is small for how many people stay in the resort and how sprawling the whole area is.

You walk outside on the public walkway where people walk to and from to get to Epcot and DHS to get to the slide. I do not enjoy being in public like that. The pool is one thing, this is another. So yes, utterly exposed.

The lazy river is tiny and too deep. I do not like it at all. Not relaxing or enjoyable. It was poorly designed and my public pool's lazy river is better.

AKL wasn't a part of the description. So not sure what you are talking about. No there is no lazy river but it doesn't need it. I'd rather a good pool that they have.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Staying at BC for the first time in November. We have stayed at AKL twice and loved it. Cant make the best comparison, but we love AKL
Enjoy your stay at BC! They are like apples and oranges in terms of theming and other such stuff, but both are great and are both unique. We like to visit both when not staying. I love the stroll over to the YC to chat with the CMs in the lobby there in particular. Just be sure to check out Ample Hills at the Boardwalk if you haven't gone yet - that was our splurge in June. We might have gone 3 times on a 6 night trip LOL

Seeshark

Hi there - have you considered staying at both? I regularly split my trips up into two resorts; the last time on a 3-nighter. I think it's really easy to do and I like getting the different vibes of the resort on one trip. I've stayed at AKL twice - the first time for a week, and although it's my favorite resort, I found the time spent on buses all week to be a little punishing. On the three-nighter referenced above, we did AKL for two nights and WL for one (we didn't do Epcot or Hollywood - mostly there for Pandora), and it was great when we left the park for a break mid-day or went back at night and had a short bus (or boat) ride.

We also did a week's stay last year split between Boardwalk (next to BC) and WL, and that was perfect for enjoying the MK for a couple days, then being in close proximity to Epcot and Hollywood for the days we were visiting those parks. And it was particularly great for park hopping into Epcot each night through the back door and hitting the different countries for dinner. Hoofing it from the front of Epcot to the back for a dinner reservation can be a lot if you've been walking around a park all day, as I found when we stayed at AKL for a full week. With two younger kids, I think minimizing the amount of time traveling between parks/dinner and your hotel makes life easier - I felt that way with my one k. The only bus trip I took all week was to Animal Kingdom from Boardwalk; otherwise, we walked or took a boat to parks and meals. And the boat seemed pretty advantageous to those families with strollers as they didn't need to fold them up every time they took it.

Managing the split dining plan (one ends when you change resorts and the other begins, though there's some overlap) took some extra planning, but not excessively so. And they move the luggage to the new room, so that was easy enough. I did take a cab and moved my own luggage on the last short trip to be sure I had access to my bathing suit during an early afternoon break - it was August and sweltering - but I could have taken or worn the suit to the park if I had wanted to.

I'd like to do BC on my next trip - the pool does look awesome. I do really like the AK and WL theming though. Between WL, AK and Boardwalk, I found the WL to be the most relaxing, and the Boardwalk to be the most bustling. I preferred relaxing, and my wife preferred the Boardwalk bustle, so different strokes for different folks, and each of us got a taste on that trip, so maybe something to consider?

freesvoice

IMO, Beach Club wins this contest all day, every day. Far better location, a pool with no equal, the best collection of restaurants within walking distance. I could go on and on.

Also, if you do decide to go with AKL, just be prepared to spend half of your vacation waiting for and then taking transportation to and from everywhere you go.
Stayed at AKL and CBR our last trip and CBR was exponentially worse. AKL most likely has the longest bus transportation of the deludes due to location but it's still better than the moderate experience. OP will have a rental car so it seems like bus transportation isn't a concern.

freesvoice

Anyway, AKL is far from bland and the dining is some of the most unique on property. Take a shuttle back and forth and enjoy both pool areas. Good slides for the kids. Mara was a bit disappointing but was your typical QS style food. Lobby is wonderful, rooms were nice. Look at it like you can't go wrong either way!

BigMac74

We recently stayed at the YC (April). Two years ago, we stayed at the AKL in early September (it was still pretty busy at the parks). I found the rooms at AKL a little small, even for two people (king bed). And it is possible to get a room with a very long walk to the lobby. I also found the bus service slow and somewhat erratic, but I noticed that at YC this year, there were monitors with bus arrival information. It is also a long haul out to AKL, and other then AK, there is nothing else around. However, AKL is unique, beautiful, quiet and has great food (as does the AK). Rooms usually have a balcony, where as the YC did not always. But if you want to go to somewhere different to eat at AKL (kids not liking food) you are in trouble. The counter service restaurant left something to be desired. But I would stay there again.

The YC had several great restaurants (including counter service), and they were usually not crazy busy (except for one morning). The BC also had some good restaurants. We especially like the proximity to EPCOT and HS (our favorite parks, but not by much), and also the Boardwalk, where there is entertainment as well as a number of good restaurants. So food variety is unparalleled. I found the pools very busy, lots of kids, commotion and loud music. But the kids were having all kinds of fun.

Recommendation, I liked them both, but they are night and day for comparison. Think about what you want. Do you have kids and what are their ages? How important is it that you be as close to the action as possible or are long bus rides acceptable? Believe it or not, I think this is easier for young kids (infants, toddlers), than older ones (10-teens). Does the quite and uniqueness more than make up for the distance and lack of variety in restaurants? From YC it is a quick walk to EPCOT, but you can also walk to and from HS if need be (there is also a boat and bus). It is all about what you prefer. I found splitting the stays more trouble than it was worth, and would be almost impossible with young children, but, once you learn the process is probably not too bad for two adults. At the YC, take the bus to other parks, forget the monorail (you need a parkhopper, and it is a long walk to the hotels from the front of EPCOT). I hope this helps, opinions are mine and my families, but all of our kids are grown.

JusticeDisney

Stayed at AKL and CBR our last trip and CBR was exponentially worse. AKL most likely has the longest bus transportation of the deludes due to location but it's still better than the moderate experience. OP will have a rental car so it seems like bus transportation isn't a concern.
Comparing deluxes to moderates isn’t apples to apples. And when you consider only deluxes, AKL has the worst transportation going, and it’s not even close. That’s my experience anyway.

CLEtoWDW

We just returned from our trip and stayed at the Beach Club. We absolutely loved the BC but I can also understand how it's not for everyone. We have 2 kids so this resort made us feel right at home. Our oldest could not get enough of the pool and just being able to leave EPCOT or HS and be in the pool within 20 minutes was amazing. The location of the resort is ideal for us because we like to park hop A LOT. For instance we found ourselves on several occasions going between EPCOT and HS while using FPs on our favorite attractions (Soarin, Toy Story Mania, Frozen, and TT). Being able to go from park to park works for us.

We have also stayed at the Yacht Club (pre kids) and find that resort to be ideal if you are traveling without kids as the BC can be somewhat loud depending on your room location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom