Baxter: "Great and Powerful Plans" for Disneyland

sponono88

Original Poster
At tonight's Fantasy Faire WDI panel, Tony Baxter answered a question with a not-so-subtle hint about a future Oz presence in Disneyland:

Tweeted by @guyselga who is at the event: "Someone asked about plans about more Star Wars in Disneyland. Tony says: “We have plans, ‘great and powerful’ plans.”"

I actually just saw 'Oz' today and it surpassed my expectations, so i'm excited about the possibility of a ride or maybe the rumored mini-land. Hoping for more info about this at the next D23 Expo! I'm guessing the strong box office numbers sealed the deal for the greenlight?

Californian Elitist

Wow, this is some very interesting news. Very interesting indeed.

First, I want to say I'm glad Tony was invited for the Q&A panel at Disneyland tonight. That in itself makes me really happy.

Secondly, I'm really upset I couldn't make it to the panel!

Thirdly...wow... If an Oz land pulls through, it will be interesting.

Genie of the Lamp

I feel like treating this like Cars. The Cars movies were just okay to me, but seeing the theme park land itself, it is truly magical and spectacular. Same scenario here with Oz. Didn't care for the movie, but I know if done like Carsland, this has the chance to be a real game changer. Plus doesn't suprise me considering that it's doing well at the box office, looking into a sequel, and have plans for this area already. I'm assuming it would go next to Frontierland like the original plans indicate. Still wish Tony was manning this project but I'm glad he spilled the beans.

Genie of the Lamp

Tonights announcement panel consisted of Michel Den Dulk, Christopher Utley, and Tony Baxter which was held at 6pm in Fantasy Faire Theater for AP's.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I don't know, guys. I saw Oz yesterday afternoon (shhh! don't tell my boss that's why I left early! :) )and absolutely LOVED it. Sure, James Franco is a bit of a cheeseball, but that kinda fits his character well.

Oz has TONS of scenery and imagery that would make for a killer theme park experience. The rides! Off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 different concepts featuring the characters and storyline. The colors are spectacular. The black and white opening only highlighted it further!

Before Oz, a preview came on for the Long Ranger and there were literally groans in the theatre. It looks like an OK enough movie, but it's in the desert, there's really not a lot of scenery that defines it (at least, from the preview shown!) and its... Johnny Depp. Again.

AGAIN.

Is anyone else J-Depped out? I know I am.

Back on topic- I think it would be awesome if Tony was hinting at something great for the future of Oz. I'd like to see it on property. The real question is- where?

My 0.02

Soarin' Over Pgh

I'm interested in Oz way before I'm interested in The Long Ranger.

I'm interested in Star Wars the very most though.

I'm starting to think that the reason Disney ISN'T doing this is that they're somehow afraid of ticking off loyal, hardcore SW fans by building something that's been budget-slashed and belt tightened before it debuts. Econoengineered, generic. Subpar.

There's no question all of us SW fans would love to see some more presense in the parks.

rle4lunch

Interesting. My wife and I saw the 4D Oz thing over at DCA muppet theatre last weekend, then came back and saw the movie the next day. It took awhile to get into 'Francomode', but the movie got better as it went. All in all a solid movie.

As for an OZ land, my wife called it, saying that they'll probably expand that movie into the parks somehow.

TP2000

As for an OZ land, my wife called it, saying that they'll probably expand that movie into the parks somehow.

Actually, Al Lutz called it over a year ago when he spilled the beans in his column that Baxter had plans for an Oz-land expansion for Disneyland behind Frontierland and into the existing Circle D property. But your wife will get noted as a vote of confidence in that old Al Lutz rumor. :D

Nice to hear Tony Baxter was appearing in the park, and being included in official WDI events for the public. I haven't seen Oz yet, I'll wait for the Blu-ray, but I have a good feeling about it working as the next Disneyland expansion.

MKCP 1985

Genie, substitute "Avatar" for "Oz" and you could be talking about the next big thing at the Animal Kingdom park.

Raven, don't tell Johnny Depp now, but Tonto has a big crow on his head!

Californian Elitist

I know they had plans but this pretty much confirms that it will be done. Exciting!

This is just a hint. It's not a confirmation at all. Even if Disney announces it, I still wouldn't get my hopes up because their projects get canceled, sometimes. Until we hear an announcement AND see some shovel digging, I wouldn't get too excited.

dweezil78

Is it possible that Tony Baxter just coincidentally used the words "great and powerful" when speaking about Star Wars, not realizing that it was also in the Oz title (perhaps the words were floating around in his subconscious)? Seems weird to me that he would answer a Star Wars question with an Oz reference when the two have nothing to do with each other. Jedis were great and powerful too you know...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom