Basic Job Questions

coasterphil

Original Poster
I'm making the move down to school next week, and I plan on heading over to casting shortly after that to get a part time position. Unfortunately, Disney's casting site is severely lacking as far as I'm concerned so I'm turning to you guys for some basic help and advice.

1. Where do I start? Do I just call the Casting number, see what they are hiring for, and then head on over during any time there are open or do I actually make some sort of appointment with them?

2. I've never had a "real" job before, will that be any problem at all? Should I expect to explain any of that or are they fine with an 18 year old coming in with nothing?

3. As far as dress, I'm guessing that khakis, a collared shirt, and dress shoes are fine?

4. Do you actually get to request a certain area or attraction or is it just the basic Operations/QSFB/Custodial thing.

5. What type of hours would they expect me to work? Is 2 days a week fine or are they going to want more? I'm free Thurs-Sun, but of course I'd like to have sometime to relax.

6. If I am hired, whats the basic timeline of events afterwards. What are the steps from being hired to out on the front line working?

7. If I already know of a weekend I'll need off in October because my family is visiting for the first time is that something I bring up in the interview or do I wait?

That was actually more questions than I originally thought I had, but seeing as how this is going to be my first job applying for a real world position I don't want to be surprised by anything and get nervous. Also, any general comments on how the interview actually goes would be very much appreciated. :animwink:

MattBoom

I just recently got a job with Disney's PhotoPass, so I can answer some of these questions.

>>1. Where do I start? Do I just call the Casting number, see what they are hiring for, and then head on over during any time there are open or do I actually make some sort of appointment with them?<<

I think you can just stop by the casting center any time. You can also make an appointment. I went during a job fair and it was a madhouse.

>>2. I've never had a "real" job before, will that be any problem at all? Should I expect to explain any of that or are they fine with an 18 year old coming in with nothing?<<

I don't think that will be a problem.

>>3. As far as dress, I'm guessing that khakis, a collared shirt, and dress shoes are fine?<<

Yes

>>4. Do you actually get to request a certain area or attraction or is it just the basic Operations/QSFB/Custodial thing.<<

I think you can request a specific area, but all they'll guarantee is the job position.

>>5. What type of hours would they expect me to work? Is 2 days a week fine or are they going to want more? I'm free Thurs-Sun, but of course I'd like to have sometime to relax.<<

Just let them know when you can work. For part-time, they want you at least two full days a week.

>>6. If I am hired, whats the basic timeline of events afterwards. What are the steps from being hired to out on the front line working?<<

First is a 8-hour Traditions class within the next two weeks. Then you start training for a few days.

>>7. If I already know of a weekend I'll need off in October because my family is visiting for the first time is that something I bring up in the interview or do I wait?<<

I'd let them know up front and re-mention it when you get to your position.

>>Also, any general comments on how the interview actually goes would be very much appreciated.<<

I was interviewed by two different people the day I applied and was hired on the spot. My wife applied for a different position and had to return in a couple of days to interview with another person at a different location.

cm1988

I'm going to chime in with a couple of varying opinions, but do agree with Matt for the most part.
1)...just stop by the casting center any time.
2)...[no experience] I don't think that will be a problem.
3)...[khakis, a collared shirt, and dress shoes are fine?]...yes
4)...[request a certain area or attraction]...can request a specific area...
5)...[hours expected]...at least two full days a week.
6)...[timeline post-hire]...Traditions...training for a few days.
7)...[October... family visiting]...let them know up front
I differ a little on #4; would suggest just choosing a role and maybe specifying whether you prefer parks or resorts. Chances are they will need you in the parks, which is "where the action is". With no job experience, you are most likely to be cast in outdoor foods or custodial; maybe operations/parking. If you want to stay out of the sun and rain, inquire about "QSR"... a quick-service restaurant. If you don't mind cleaning up and want a little more moving around, custodial might be the better option. Even in ODF you get a lot of variety; it can be hard work though (day will go pretty fast once you get used to being on your feet and the surprising complexity of stocking, preparing (or vending) and selling outdoor foods.

As for 7), I wouldn't mention the October plans. For one thing, they might change. But mainly, you have to consider the fact that no one will give you a "contract" saying... "ok, you have that weekend off for sure". Chances are, you can make that arrangement sometime after mid-September or at least trade with someone. Personal opinion: special requests like that during an interview won't help and only give a bad impression.

Good luck!

Lindsy1052

I'm going to chime in with a couple of varying opinions, but do agree with Matt for the most part.

I differ a little on #4; would suggest just choosing a role and maybe specifying whether you prefer parks or resorts. Chances are they will need you in the parks, which is "where the action is". With no job experience, you are most likely to be cast in outdoor foods or custodial; maybe operations/parking. If you want to stay out of the sun and rain, inquire about "QSR"... a quick-service restaurant. If you don't mind cleaning up and want a little more moving around, custodial might be the better option. Even in ODF you get a lot of variety; it can be hard work though (day will go pretty fast once you get used to being on your feet and the surprising complexity of stocking, preparing (or vending) and selling outdoor foods.

As for 7), I wouldn't mention the October plans. For one thing, they might change. But mainly, you have to consider the fact that no one will give you a "contract" saying... "ok, you have that weekend off for sure". Chances are, you can make that arrangement sometime after mid-September or at least trade with someone. Personal opinion: special requests like that during an interview won't help and only give a bad impression.

Good luck!

To qualify taking time off when your family comes in..time of is based on seniority so I would not count on getting it off. You can try trading days off with someone in your department, but as the the others wrote, to tell them before you are even hired that you want time off already would not go over very well. For inside advice you can send me PM and I'll give you some tips.

coasterphil

Original Poster
Thanks for the help so far guys, it is greatly appreciated. Everything is going to be so new for me those first few weeks so it's nice to have a general idea of how this is going to work.

WDWKat26

Oki Dokie, Here goes! Answers will be in red.

I'm making the move down to school next week, and I plan on heading over to casting shortly after that to get a part time position. Unfortunately, Disney's casting site is severely lacking as far as I'm concerned so I'm turning to you guys for some basic help and advice.

1. Where do I start? Do I just call the Casting number, see what they are hiring for, and then head on over during any time there are open or do I actually make some sort of appointment with them?
When you walk into Casting, they have a sheet available with all of the roles that are available and the status (Full Time, Part Time, Seasonal). You usually just wait in a line, but you don't need to call for an appointment unless you are applying for a Management position or the role requires one. So, it's as simple as walking in and applying right there on the spot and walking out with a job the same day.

2. I've never had a "real" job before, will that be any problem at all? Should I expect to explain any of that or are they fine with an 18 year old coming in with nothing?
It's totally fine. Disney is a great place to start if you don't have a lot of experience in anything. Mainly because there's so much to do, and they're obviously willing to train you if you're willing to work. So think hard about what you want to do.

3. As far as dress, I'm guessing that khakis, a collared shirt, and dress shoes are fine?
That's perfect. Nothing too fancy, but nothing too grungy.

4. Do you actually get to request a certain area or attraction or is it just the basic Operations/QSFB/Custodial thing.
Usually they try to match you up with a role that would suit you best. For example, I was interviewed with another girl, and she had worked at McDonalds. I know, it sounds bad, but they offered her Quick Service because that's where she had experience. If you think you'll be best with counting money, fast paced work and heavy guest interaction, Merchandise or Operations would be your thing. If you like to clean, Custodial would be your thing.

5. What type of hours would they expect me to work? Is 2 days a week fine or are they going to want more? I'm free Thurs-Sun, but of course I'd like to have sometime to relax.
Depends on what your status is. If you're thinking about working only 2 days a week, i'd suggest Part Time. Seasonal is tough because if you want to work, you have to call Casting every time you want to work to give them availability. Full Time you obviously work 5 days a week. I was Part Time for 3 years before I went full time, and it was great because I could give them 2 days of availability for 6 months, or 7 days. It was up to me.

6. If I am hired, whats the basic timeline of events afterwards. What are the steps from being hired to out on the front line working?
When you're hired, you then go to Traditions which is in the Disney University Building. It's an 8 hour class on Disney History, Parks, etc. Then, you'll meet with someone from your department who will give you your schedule and tell you where to meet and when you will start training in your area.

7. If I already know of a weekend I'll need off in October because my family is visiting for the first time is that something I bring up in the interview or do I wait?
It really depends on when you get hired. Once you do, and you're in the system, you can request off ahead of time. But, if you do get scheduled you can always give a shift away to another Cast Member if they're willing to take it. There's always ways you can give away shifts.

That was actually more questions than I originally thought I had, but seeing as how this is going to be my first job applying for a real world position I don't want to be surprised by anything and get nervous. Also, any general comments on how the interview actually goes would be very much appreciated. :animwink:

coasterphil

Original Poster
Just thought I'd give everyone an update now that I've settled in. I went to Casting this morning and was hired for a role in attractions. There weren't actually any "attractions" positions available though so I'm going to be working as a park greeter at MGM. I thought that would also be a nice job to have, so I was relieved when she offered that in the list of things they needed filled. I was surprised by the number of people that were walking up, I would've never guessed how busy the casting center would be. My hiring isn't final because I forget to bring my social security card with me when I moved so I have to go back and finish everything up next week. Nevertheless, I am pretty excited right now.

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me. I wasn't nearly as nervous as I thought I would be. I was still kinda shaky, but nothing too bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom