BAH...

JiminyandTink

valid points, but I think I agree with most; it should be moved outside the gates to the front of the park! Because I would miss it if it just disappeared, personally.)

I've always though that they should move it into the center of the Animation Courtyard, that way it is off of Hollywood Blvd and is still in the park for those who enjoy it (and it certainly fits the theme of animation). The only caveat is that it would kill a lot of the necessary stroller parking over there though for the Disney JR show.

tigger1968

I always find these discussions about the hat very interesting. Yes, the theatre is nice but is in no way a Disney icon. And yet people hate having something that is absolutely iconic, the hat from Fantasia in DHS. In many threads, like the Avatar and Starbuck's ones plus others, people are always upset about non-Disney things being in the parks. The hat is one of the most important Disney icons. Guess it's my fault for expecting consistency on a Disney board.

Now if the theatre at the end was the Carthay Circle, where Disney's most important film Snow White premiered people might have a case, but it's Mann's.

If the park had been built and themed to the BAH, this would be totally different. But since it was essentially inserted into an already themed area, it really sticks out like a sore thumb. I agree that the hat is an important Disney icon, but I feel it is totally out of place where it is.

Regarding your thoughts on Carthay Circle vs. Mann's, I think one must take into account that the park was originally designed to harken to the nostalgia of Hollywood. Mann's is by far a more well known Hollywood icon, which means it makes more sense to feature it and it's architecture in the park. Just my opinion of course. :)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Theme parks are about creating an environment. Does it make you think "Disney" or Old Hollywood?

Disney, since I'm at Walt DISNEY World, it makes sense to me. Hollywood Studios stopped being a functioning, if ever, studio production facility years ago.

lazyboy97o

Disney, since I'm at Walt DISNEY World, it makes sense to me. Hollywood Studios stopped being a functioning, if ever, studio production facility years ago.
Hollywood Blvd's theme has nothing to do with the production studio. Being Walt Disney World has nothing to do with being self referential. Far more of Walt Disney World is still not about Disney. Almost none of the hotels are about Disney. Most of the rides are still not about Disney. Should Spaceship Earth and the Tree of Life be blocked with something irrelevant but Disney? Maybe put something in front of the Magic Kingdom since that train station isn't Disney?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Hollywood Blvd's theme has nothing to do with the production studio. Being Walt Disney World has nothing to do with being self referential. Far more of Walt Disney World is still not about Disney. Almost none of the hotels are about Disney. Most of the rides are still not about Disney. Should Spaceship Earth and the Tree of Life be blocked with something irrelevant but Disney? Maybe put something in front of the Magic Kingdom since that train station isn't Disney?

As you previously said, "Theme parks are about creating an environment. Does it make you think "Disney" or Old Hollywood?" Disney theme park, Disney environment, Disney icon from Disney movie....

Given your logic, let's take everything non-Disney out of all 4 parks, tear down the hotels and leave just Disney related attractions - those related to Disney films, Walt's train, car, etc. The vision of Walt and Roy was to create a place where families can have fun, escape from reality and relive childhood memories. Which is why I love the Hat where it is and apparently I am not in the minority - others have just given up trying to defend its existence in this and other posts.

When I see that Hat, I think Disney and of my mother - Fantasia was her favorite Disney film and Sorcerer's Apprentice her favorite scene in the film. What better place for the Hat than at Disney Hollywood Studios?

jdmdisney99

Now if the theatre at the end was the Carthay Circle, where Disney's most important film Snow White premiered people might have a case, but it's Mann's.
Really? Mary Poppins, all of the Star Wars films, etc. Practically most of their movies up until the early '90s premiered at the Chinese Theater. Rather than Carthay Circle, it would make more sense to use the El Capitan, which they've owned since then. When most people think Hollywood theater I can assure you they don't think of Carthey Circle...they think of the Chinese.

lazyboy97o

As you previously said, "Theme parks are about creating an environment. Does it make you think "Disney" or Old Hollywood?" Disney theme park, Disney environment, Disney icon from Disney movie....

Given your logic, let's take everything non-Disney out of all 4 parks, tear down the hotels and leave just Disney related attractions - those related to Disney films, Walt's train, car, etc. The vision of Walt and Roy was to create a place where families can have fun, escape from reality and relive childhood memories. Which is why I love the Hat where it is and apparently I am not in the minority - others have just given up trying to defend its existence in this and other posts.

When I see that Hat, I think Disney and of my mother - Fantasia was her favorite Disney film and Sorcerer's Apprentice her favorite scene in the film. What better place for the Hat than at Disney Hollywood Studios?
If you tore down the non-Disney stuff you wouldn't have much left. All of the resorts except Art of Animation and a few rooms here and there - gone. Most of the Magic Kingdom - gone. Most of EPCOT Center - gone. Large chunks of Disney's Hollywood Studios, definitely Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd - gone. Most of Disney's Animal Kingdom - gone. Most of Disney Springs - gone. At no point in your description of the goals behind Disneyland did you mention an obsession with film references.

A better place for the hat? How about some place about Disney animated films? Hollywood Blvd is about Old Hollywood, not Disney's animated films.

jdmdisney99

No where...just not in the middle of 1930s Hollywood.

Goofyernmost

First off, he didn't say that, he was asking if you thought that those should go too because they weren't Disney in the sense that they were featured in any animated form or live action form. They were just Theme Park additions as is Mann's, but, it was put there to give the street the feel of "old Hollywood" which was the theme. The hat had a place in other parts of the park, just not there. And by the way, your stance is far from the majority. There is yours... you like it. There are a bunch of 'get the thing out of the view of Mann's'. The majority do not know enough about the history of Disney and the parks to know the difference and therefore couldn't care less. That is why it's still there

LAKid53

Premium Member
If you tore down the non-Disney stuff you wouldn't have much left. All of the resorts except Art of Animation and a few rooms here and there - gone. Most of the Magic Kingdom - gone. Most of EPCOT Center - gone. Large chunks of Disney's Hollywood Studios, definitely Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd - gone. Most of Disney's Animal Kingdom - gone. Most of Disney Springs - gone. At no point in your description of the goals behind Disneyland did you mention an obsession with film references.

A better place for the hat? How about some place about Disney animated films? Hollywood Blvd is about Old Hollywood, not Disney's animated films.

Think about the attractions at DL when it opened in 1955. Mad Hatter's Tea Party (Alice), Sleeping Beauty's Castle, the train is reminiscent of Walt's personal train, Swiss Family Tree house, etc. Most attractions were based on Disney films - that was the hook to bring in families.

Why do you think Uni has spent millions of $$$ building both HP attractions with such attention to detail? There are no pictures of Diagon Alley, Hogwarts, Olivander's, Hogsmeade, etc., in the books. Uni built them to make that connection to the MOVIES. Visual works. Especially visual that is connected to tangibles like movies.

lazyboy97o

Think about the attractions at DL when it opened in 1955. Mad Hatter's Tea Party (Alice), Sleeping Beauty's Castle, the train is reminiscent of Walt's personal train, Swiss Family Tree house, etc. Most attractions were based on Disney films - that was the hook to bring in families.

Why do you think Uni has spent millions of $$$ building both HP attractions with such attention to detail? There are no pictures of Diagon Alley, Hogwarts, Olivander's, Hogsmeade, etc., in the books. Uni built them to make that connection to the MOVIES. Visual works. Especially visual that is connected to tangibles like movies.
Actually, I've counted in the past and when Disneyland opened just under a quarter of the attractions were based on Disney films and in the years that followed fewer and fewer of the new attractions were based on films. A good many of the films used were also financial flops (but so was Fantasia so that point isn't as relevant).

"Ride the movies" has always been Universal's thing, and that is why they have never inspired us to dream like the non-Disney Main Street, USA or EPCOT Center.

Last edited:

dbrWDW

Because it's blocking the real view
Disney-MGM-Studios-1989-19-M.jpg

It also pretty much ruins the 1940's Hollywood theming.

WOW... I think this is my first time seeing Hollywood Studios without the big hat!

You're right, they should take it down...

NormC

Why do you think Uni has spent millions of $$$ building both HP attractions with such attention to detail?
Why do you think WDC spent millions of $$$ building Hollywood boulevard with such attention to detail? They did not do it to have it blocked by a big blue hat. The hat was meant to be temporary for a celebration but because they have gotten lazy they have just left it there destroying the intended view designed by the Imagineers. If you would like to keep it that is fine but move it to the animation courtyard or somewhere more appropriate.

LAM378

I'm wondering, what would it actually entail to take down the BAH?

I keep seeing threads where people make up imaginary budgets for improving the parks and they always figure 5, 10, 20 million just for hat removal. I know those figures are just rough, pie-in-the-sky estimates, but it's got me curious.

What's that thing made out of? How is it anchored to the ground? What's under it? How long did it take to build it, and how long would it take to remove? I mean, I know they can't just haul it out in one BATrashBag, but I can't fathom why it would cost tens of millions of dollars.

NormC

The cost would vary depending on whether they want to save it to relocate it or just demolish it. There are pictures of it being installed and you can see the steel structure. It is actually quite strong for a "temporary" structure but I am sure that is due to safety.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom