Bags and Rides

KARmom

Original Poster
I have a question about bringing your personal bag on rides. Obviously I don't want to leave my camera and other essentials in the stroller. But can I bring my back pack with us on most rides where I wouldn't need to use parent swap? I have a DSLR camera which is sort of large and won't fit in my pocket.
Thanks!

Cathryne

I constantly run into this issue. They are honestly so good about it though! Just have a bag put one strap on one leg and hold with your feet it's easy. If the bag ends up being too big for safety reasons they'll hold it for you no problem at all! I hope this helps
-Cathryne

KARmom

Original Poster
Thanks so much! I really wanted to bring my good camera but wasn't sure what to do with it on the rides. I appreciate your help and suggestions. One less thing to stress about. :)

Since1976

It's great that the majority of Disney's rides accommodate small to medium bags, either at your feet or in a net at the front of the vehicle. Some of the fast rides and roller coasters can handle bags too, provided you can still fit in the seat with it in front of you.

thecompman

I always go to Disney with a large LowePro DSLR camera backpack and never have a problem taking it on any ride. You can always stick it down between your legs or at worst keep it on your lap like on Space Mountain. I also like to bring a tripod for night time. I leave the tripod in a locker in the front of the park until it gets dark then I carry around with me.

Can't say the same for that other resort up the street with a U, they make you stick your bag in a locker at almost every ride.

Bairstow

Disney is actually weirdly permissive about allowing bags on rides.
Want to bring a medium-sized LL Bean backpack on Rock n Rollercoaster? No problem! Just put it in the floorboard and step on the strap.

You'd never get away with something like this at Six Flags or even Universal.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I bring a small backpack into the parks. For most rides, I just put my feet through the straps and and keep the bag between my feet. Haven't had a problem and that includes Rockin' Rollercoster - I'm always leery of using the little net pocket for rides like that one.

Crazy Harry

I have dreams about floating down the street with a plastic grocery bag...that would make a good ride. That's what this tread is about ...right? :confused:

donsullivan

Premium Member
The most awkward one I've run into if you have a large bag and/or tripod with you is Space Mountain. What I've found works for me is putting the lap bar down and then putting the bag on top of the lap bar and sliding the straps over the lap bar to hold it in place. It's far more comfortable than trying to find a way to stuff it underneath.

Csmith041177

Another backpack guy here. I love that Disney let's you bring these on. It is such a pain at Universal to have to always run by a locker first!

Bairstow

Another backpack guy here. I love that Disney let's you bring these on. It is such a pain at Universal to have to always run by a locker first!

Annoying, maybe, but that's standard procedure at every other park out there.
I really wonder why Disney goes against the grain on this one.

HouCuseChickie

I also carry a DSLR and carry a backpack for that reason...i.e. a place to stow it on rides like splash, a place for an extra lens or two, etc. I usually carry a Columbia daypack, so while not a massive backpack, it is a standard size pack. I have never had a problem bringing it on any of the rides. The only ride where I can't actually carry it is Soarin', but you leave it on the ground in front of you while you're up in the air.

Bairstow

Because they're awesome?

It really is a mystery to me.
You might think it was because other parks are trying to bilk people by forcing them to rent lockers, but Universal actually supplies lockers free of charge at some attractions, so they're losing money on the effort. Some parks, Six Flags especially allows the guests to rent a locker for their bags/giant refillable cups or to simply set them to the side of unload in hopes that no one will disturb their things. Dollywood is similar, but often employs cast members to take the items from you and quickly place them in small lockers that are rotated as vehicles cycle through, which can't be a cheap solution either. Perhaps it has to do with Disney's penchant for having rides unload you at different places than you load, save for Big Thunder. I really do wonder if the ride manufacturers have a recommendation one way or the other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom