bad news from pop century

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mom

Premium Member
This is somewhat off topic, but related.

My parents had a very relaxed approach to parenting, and would probably be reported to CPS today. I remember being around 12 or 13, visiting my Aunt & Uncle at their lakefront home, and deciding to swim across the cove. I was alone, and had been swimming off the dock by myself. It didn't look very far, but when I was actually swimming it, the distance seemed to keep increasing. I remember having to float for a while half way across, because I was too tired. I was able to finally make it across, but walked back on shore.

My mother still has no idea that I could have drowned that day.

I know that I went swimming without any parental or lifeguard supervision from age 10 or so onward. I also spent whole days wandering through the town and woods, wandering near bodies of water, walking railroad tracks, etc. It's amazing I survived. :lol:

loriwdunn

finan03 said:
but at the same time, isnt the purpose of going on a disney vacation RELAXING? it's not really fair to expect a mom or pop to keep constant watch on their kids when it's their down time also.
i think that glancing up and making sure your kids okay every now and then is okay, so long as you dont lose track of your time.

and if you do, thats why the lifeguards are there.

Is it fair that others can't relax because of parents who are not keeping a close watch on their kids? I am sure some of us have had run ins with kids that are rough in the pools. And I have seen some parents repremand their kids for that but if mom and dad want a RELAXING vacation which includes relying on lifeguards to watch the kids, then the kids should be left at home. Did you post this to get a reaction or are you serious?

Did someone post how old the child was?

magicmom

There is one sentence that still sits with me to this day! I was in high school the first time I saw this movie.

"ANY BUTT REAMING A-HOLE CAN BE A PARENT BUT YOU NEED A LICENSE TO FISH!" -Keanu Reeves' character in the movie Parenthood.

My kids (6 and twin 2 yo) know either they stay near me and my hubby in the pool or we all get out! The 2 year olds are never more that an arms reach from either one of us. On our last trip we were talking to a lifeguard that was telling us stories we just could not rap our minds around. Again see above quote.:brick:

Laura

Premium Member
This thread is disturbing. Our kids are 2 and 4 and we are always within arms reach. If they want to swim, we swim with them. Even if they go in the kiddie pool we go in with them. You can drown in an inch of water. My "leisure" is not worth their lives.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
DS10 learned to stay within range from infancy. He is never out of reach in a pool, but even walking the parks he's holding my hand most of the time, but never out of sight [except on the water slides, but he goes first, I follow immediately]. We both carried cell phones our last trip, in order that if we did get separated we could immediately establish contact [didn't come close to using them].

He is a confident, intelligent kid, but he knows he's not ready for independence yet. I can't imagine NOT paying close attention to where he is at every moment. I still thoroughly enjoy my vacations while doing so. Half the fun on vacation is living vicariously through him. [The other half is letting the kid in me out - he gets the :rolleyes: face a lot when the old man does that!]

Responsible parenting is a 24/7 job.

copper

I can relate to The Mom because my daughter was held down in a pool as well and she has been on a swim team since she's 8. Bottom line is if you have young children under the age of 6 you must be in the water with them!
I speak from experience. I have 12 year old twin girls and they have been on a boat since they were 4 months old. They have been swimming & sailing competatively since age 8. When they were little they were all over the place and being by a pool was always nerve racking for me. I myself was also a competative swimmer & sailer etc. so I know what can happen in a split second. The best swimmers can drown!!!! I made my kids wear a life jacket in the pool (under 6). This may seem extreme to some but with identical twins who are very active this gave me a little peace. This wasn't an issue because they have been wearing their life jackets around water their whole lives and still are. These are the rules when around water for kids under 18 at our yacht club and on our boat.

1. Always wear Life jacket when on boat and on dock. My kids fish off the dock and wear their life jackets.
2. No swimming/sailing/kayaking etc. alone
3. No dunking, pushing running

Unfortunatley, there are always those who don't follow the rules and tragic things can happen when around water. Those of us who are experieced swimmers, boaters etc. know what can happen in a split second. I have seen far too many parents ignore their children when by a pool. I have made a few saves myself and yes these type of parents get mad at the rescuer. My daughters have also rescued kids in a pool. I have also found that the less experience a parents has around water/swimming the more lax they are. The thinking is, "The life guard will save my kid". If you as a parent can't rescue your kid while by a pool/water don't let them go in the water until they are being supervised by an experienced swimmer as well as a life guard.

"Swimming is the only after school sport that can save someones life"
- Dave Ferris LIAC (Long Island Aquatic Club)

DisneyJill

Laura22 said:
This thread is disturbing. Our kids are 2 and 4 and we are always within arms reach. If they want to swim, we swim with them. Even if they go in the kiddie pool we go in with them. You can drown in an inch of water. My "leisure" is not worth their lives.

Well said.

And Finan03, it IS fair to expect parents to watch their kids all the time-when you're a parent, there is little to no "down time," regardless of if you're at WDW or not. I don't have kids, but after working there and vacationing there with cousins, I'd say a vacation there means less down time than a lot of other places. If you take them there, you keep them safe and you DO NOT leave it up to someone else to take care of them. If it's the lifeguards job to keep them from drowning, does that mean it's the park greeters job to keep them from wandering off, too? No. It's the parents.

It's way too easy for people to have kids. There should be a VERY difficult test you have to pass first. :lol:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
LudwigVonDrake said:
Ummmm, I still haven't heard anything...did the kid drown or not? :veryconfu

I'd guess that the OP's statement them the child was revived is all we'll get. The press [even the anti-Disney press] won't bother with it if the kid survived. Since there hasn't been anything in the news about a kid drowning in a Disney pool...

Tink_Fan_101

Pop Century Resort

:eek: Wow...Okay, my family is going to be staying at Pop Century Resort on May 26th...Were the rooms nice, how was the resort in general...do I need to cancel my reservations...I was told that Pop Century was a SAFE & Nice place to stay...was I told wrong?

Any Information is wanted!

Thanks,
Kasey

Laura

Premium Member
Tink_Fan_101 said:
:eek: Wow...Okay, my family is going to be staying at Pop Century Resort on May 26th...Were the rooms nice, how was the resort in general...do I need to cancel my reservations...I was told that Pop Century was a SAFE & Nice place to stay...was I told wrong?

Thanks,
Kasey

Don't you think you're overreacting just a tad? Come on. :rolleyes:

Cliffordsmon

Tink_Fan_101 said:

Thanks,
Kasey

The Pop Century is as safe as you make it. The rooms are clean, the grounds are beautiful and the staff is wonderful! It is as magical place! However if you leave your small children alone to run amuck, no place is safe enough.

MansionFan415

I was a guard at Typhoon in the summer of 2000 and never once in my three months did I have to jump in to save anyone. Thing is, we had guards about every 10 feet, especially around the wave pool and lazy river.

But trust me, I saw my damn fair share of parents just neglecting their kids to do as they please. I mean these weren't just teens or even 8 to 9 year olds, I'm talking about toddlers.

I never had to jump in to save anyone, but I stopped a 2 or 3 year old from getting into five feet or deeper water NUMEROUS times! Wish some parents knew what the word "responsibility" meant.

Don't everyone jump on me, I said some parents...SOME!

wannabeBelle

finan03 said:
but at the same time, isnt the purpose of going on a disney vacation RELAXING? it's not really fair to expect a mom or pop to keep constant watch on their kids when it's their down time also.
i think that glancing up and making sure your kids okay every now and then is okay, so long as you dont lose track of your time.

and if you do, thats why the lifeguards are there.
Are you kidding?? I sincerely hope so!!! As others here who have children have pointed out being a parent is a 24 hour a day 7 day a week 365 days a year job that literally NEVER ends!!!! I dont think Mom watches me as closely in the pool as she used to when I was a wee Belle but then again at 40 I dont tend to get into much mischief on my own!!!
If Mom and Dad wants some down time at Disney or anywhere else, the answer is put your children with a babysitter. If you have your children with you, YOU and no one else are responsible for them. You are responsible to oversee their behavior, their health, their whereabouts and everything else. I have seen some great parents in Disney and am friendly with some of them. Inevitably these kids are usually well behaved and well mannered. The other sort...........well let's just say the apple doesnt fall far from the tree!!! Id like to thanks people like The Mom, MontyMon, Tigs Mom and more for their attention and time that they have spent with the kids. I am sure it shows. Belle

2gether

COMPLETELY agree.

unkadug said:
Kinda going off on a tangent here, but..................

I think that schools should teach reading, writing, arithmetic and swimming !!

It's a life skill no one should be without.

I completely I agree. I used to work as the Separations Officer at the Navy Boot Camp and Great Lakes, IL. You have NO CONCEPT of how many people cannot swim until you have to process BOATLOADS of them out of the NAVY (which they volunteered to join) because they can't swim even after lessons.

What would they do in an emergency? They would have no choice but to watch their kids drown or drown themselves trying to save them.

2gether

Good post.

MontyMon said:
DS10 learned to stay within range from infancy. He is never out of reach in a pool, but even walking the parks he's holding my hand most of the time, but never out of sight [except on the water slides, but he goes first, I follow immediately]. We both carried cell phones our last trip, in order that if we did get separated we could immediately establish contact [didn't come close to using them].

He is a confident, intelligent kid, but he knows he's not ready for independence yet. I can't imagine NOT paying close attention to where he is at every moment. I still thoroughly enjoy my vacations while doing so. Half the fun on vacation is living vicariously through him. [The other half is letting the kid in me out - he gets the :rolleyes: face a lot when the old man does that!]

Responsible parenting is a 24/7 job.

I hope I am this successful with my kids when they are this old. My dd is just 18 mo, and she's still wandering away. Sometimes it takes all our energy just to keep up!:hammer:

wannabeBelle

2gether said:
I completely I agree. I used to work as the Separations Officer at the Navy Boot Camp and Great Lakes, IL. You have NO CONCEPT of how many people cannot swim until you have to process BOATLOADS of them out of the NAVY (which they volunteered to join) because they can't swim even after lessons.

What would they do in an emergency? They would have no choice but to watch their kids drown or drown themselves trying to save them.
An Alert parent, even if they cant swim themselves can make a HUGE difference by calling for help IMMEDIATELY!!! Other people will assist I Am certain and I know that the lifeguards would certainly be all over the situation. In a case like that seconds literally will make the difference between an accident and a tragedy. Belle

wedway71

Im sorry but I think the parents are 100% to blame here.AND YES I AM A PARENT FOR THOSE WHO START WITH THE I DONT KNOW SINCE IM NOT ONE.

The parents were nowhere to be found??- Im sorry it is correct that I wasnt there and I dont know the cicumstances but I dont have to be. There is no reason in this world why any parent would leave their small child by a pool alone-END OF STORY.

When I go to the pool or beach I never take my eyes off my kids especially if they are in the water. If there were an emergency that required to leave than i grab my kids and go-even if they sound asleep on the beach chair and I was just going for one minute.

I have alot of respect for life gaurds but i never count on them to watch my child-THAT IS THE PARENTS JOB-

worldshwcasefan

Dizneyworld4430 said:
Yesterday a 3 year old boy had drowned in pops pool. When a complete stranger pulled him out(because the parrents where no where in sight) he was limp. They did revive him and I have not heard anything else. Also a little update.....the audio loop for hm is not working along with test track thatsa all I have noticed so far if u have anything u want me to check email me @ jennmedical@tmail.com I'm off to ride ee for the first time I'm next in line

Has there been a update ?

GoofyFreek

This is the only mention of this at all. And I was a beleiver for a while. But if the more I read the more I read to into it. You are talking about a kid drowning and possibly dieing and a second later you are tlakinga bout the audio loop for HM and Testtrack. And then to finish it up your saying your next in line for EE.

Just a little to out there if your asking me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom