Backstage Magic vs. Keys to the Kingdom

foolishmortals13

Hey everybody,

I'm heading back to WDW in January of 2017 and I'm very interested in doing a tour. The two tours that appeal to me are the Backstage Magic and Keys to the Kingdom. My understanding is that Backstage Magic is longer and more money, while Keys is not as long, less time, and you're only in MK. So to anyone who's done one or both of these tours, what do you think? I know it really comes down to what I want to see, but since I'm trying to avoid spoilers, I'm just gonna say that animatronics and the technical side of the attractions fascinate me the most. Thanks for the advice!

JohnD

Haven't done Backstage Magic but have done Keys. I do know this: Keys is specific to MK and takes 5 hours. BM takes you around the World, takes pretty much all day, and costs more.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I've only taken Keys so I didn't vote. Keys was great and I do recommend that. It sounds like you might be more interested in technical things so Backstage might be more up your alley. If you have the time available in your schedule and the money in your budget go for backstage. If you are looking for a tour with a little history, for a few hours for less money, and a quick look at behind the scenes then keys would be the one to pick.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I've done both tours and enjoyed them both. If I were to do only one I'd do the Backstage tour. It was a longer time with more information shared and sights to visit. Backstage sounds like it would be the better choice you are looking for. The CM guide that brings you along can make or break the experience. We had very interactive guide that made out tour a lot of fun, I've heard from others who had tours that werent as well done. A lot of the info is basic stuff you may already know if you have read up on the parks a lot, but you can ask about things you are curious about and they can give technical answers. You get what you spend for and it is worth the money.

Upvote 0

The Hatbox Ghost

I've done both tours and enjoyed them both. If I were to do only one I'd do the Backstage tour. It was a longer time with more information shared and sights to visit. Backstage sounds like it would be the better choice you are looking for. The CM guide that brings you along can make or break the experience. We had very interactive guide that made out tour a lot of fun, I've heard from others who had tours that werent as well done. A lot of the info is basic stuff you may already know if you have read up on the parks a lot, but you can ask about things you are curious about and they can give technical answers. You get what you spend for and it is worth the money.

I agree with Jiminy. I've only done the Backstage Tour but I too would suggest that if you can/will only do one I'd choose Backstage because you hit all four parks and get to see some cool technical/mechanical behind the scenes things. I still want to do Keys (and will) but in hindsight I would have done Keys first, only because I think it would have been the 'appetizer' to the 'full course' that Backstage is, if that makes sense.

So if you know that you will likely end up doing both, I would do Keys and next time do Backstage. Either way you can't go wrong, if you love Disney you'll have a blast!

Upvote 0

Wendy Pleakley

I've only done the Keys tour, and it definitely didn't feature any behind the scenes looks at animatronics or technical things.

It's a great tour. The history and backstage views are quite interesting, but it might not be quite what you're looking for.

As has been said, if you're a Disney buff a lot of the information won't be new. Come prepared with specific questions to get the most out of a tour.

On a side note, the Behind the Seeds tour at Epcot is only $20 and one of WDWs hidden gems, in my opinion. If you like tours, that's a nice one with minimal financial risk/impact.

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

The Keys tour is great but keep in mind is it designed so everyone can enjoy it from novices to enthusiasts. You will hear a lot of stuff you already know and there are definitely things they can not/will not show you or talk about. As long as you know that going in, it is very interesting and enjoyable (though expensive!) I would also slightly disagree with the comment above about technology. I think you will be happy with what you will see.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom