Backlot Tour Tram Cars

MatthewWho13

Original Poster
I was driving near Downtown Orlando today and caught a glimpse of these beauts rotting away in a scrap yard in the Florida sun. boo

Attachments

• Photo Apr 24, 3 29 15 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 24, 3 29 15 PM.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,059

mm121

That's a shame.

Not unexpected but a pity all the same. I don't know how Disney could preserve or repurpose a fleet of large tram cars but anything's better than seeing them dumped and left to rot away.
for a company the size of disney, its surprising that they never seem to have a plan of either storage/disposal of things.

its surprising they dont just have a big warehouse somewhere that they could use as a mothball location to store things like this in case they wanted to get them out from time to time

if they wanted to monetize it they could create a "history of wdw" attraction people would totally pay to walk thru it

these they could use them to like have a special event where guest ride in the parade or something

Goofyernmost

for a company the size of disney, its surprising that they never seem to have a plan of either storage/disposal of things.

its surprising they dont just have a big warehouse somewhere that they could use as a mothball location to store things like this in case they wanted to get them out from time to time

if they wanted to monetize it they could create a "history of wdw" attraction people would totally pay to walk thru it

these they could use them to like have a special event where guest ride in the parade or something
Then everyone would complain about the fact that they are using old worn out vehicles instead of spending the money to buy new modern ones. The ride vehicles are just ride vehicles. Pieces of machinery with a shelf life. There is nothing to be gained by recycling those high mileage vehicles when they can depreciate new stuff over a few years basically paying for a big chunk of it in reduced taxes and savings in wear maintenance cost. I would think that they might attempt to sell them to other parks. Dollywood is in desperate need of some real trams. But, I guess no one thinks that they are worth the effort so the plan becomes, total recycling. Cut um up and melt them down to make new stuff. In short, salvage yards.

Last edited:

Jwhee

Very shocked that theyre not gone yet, I know they scrapped at least one of them, because i saw it in pieces laying in that lot. I'd think theyd be gone by now though. Same company that scrapped the hat

CDavid

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid in my middle age, but the way they got rid of these trams so quick almost feels like somebody, in the executive ranks at Disney, wanted to make certain this attraction couldn't be reopened (like if they got complaints of not enough to do at the Studios).

Goofyernmost

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid in my middle age, but the way they got rid of these trams so quick almost feels like somebody, in the executive ranks at Disney, wanted to make certain this attraction couldn't be reopened (like if they got complaints of not enough to do at the Studios).
No, it's paranoia, they wouldn't care if everyone in the world complained. They decided it was done, and it is done.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
That's a shame.

Not unexpected but a pity all the same. I don't know how Disney could preserve or repurpose a fleet of large tram cars but anything's better than seeing them dumped and left to rot away.

They would be great parking lot transportation trams for the studios.. I mean, I know Disney has plenty of these trams. But they would be nicer and would seem to have more capacity, am I right?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I think you are correct in that assumption, By closing this ride they saved millions in operating expense I've seen this scenario played out too many times in corporate america some upper middle manager does not like a product/service - kills it and destroys the infrastructure so he cannot be second guessed.

This was known to happen frequently at Agilent (see the blog 'Bill and Dave are dead' no its NOT mine ) where products for which there was still significant demand for were EOL'd and production infrastructure shredded so managers could not be 'second guessed'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom