Backlot Tour Tram Cars

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 Do you know the difference, if any, between the tour tram and parking tram dimensions?
I don't.

I do recall the trams having to snake around New York street to make certain corners. The turn from is now LMA, heading toward the skyscrapers, then turning right towards what is Premiere Theatre wasted space was particular bad. They had to swing all the way left before turning right. Originally the route was a left towards the side of the GMR where there was enough space to do a complete loop around. This lasted not long at all before the Sci Fi and Commissary kitchens started to be built.

Figment2005

I don't.

I do recall the trams having to snake around New York street to make certain corners. The turn from is now LMA, heading toward the skyscrapers, then turning right towards what is Premiere Theatre wasted space was particular bad. They had to swing all the way left before turning right. Originally the route was a left towards the side of the GMR where there was enough space to do a complete loop around. This lasted not long at all before the Sci Fi and Commissary kitchens started to be built.
Alright, thanks for your input. So do you think it would have been feasible for them to be used in the parking lot? I know the turn at the far end of the tram lane is extremely tight, and there isn't any room to "go wide".

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Alright, thanks for your input. So do you think it would have been feasible for them to be used in the parking lot? I know the turn at the far end of the tram lane is extremely tight, and there isn't any room to "go wide".
Nah. I don't think the engines could take the constant strain and speed changes.

CDavid

I think you are correct in that assumption, By closing this ride they saved millions in operating expense I've seen this scenario played out too many times in corporate america some upper middle manager does not like a product/service - kills it and destroys the infrastructure so he cannot be second guessed.

This was known to happen frequently at Agilent (see the blog 'Bill and Dave are dead' no its NOT mine ) where products for which there was still significant demand for were EOL'd and production infrastructure shredded so managers could not be 'second guessed'.

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen something like this at Disney. Managers reportedly wanted to shutter 20,000 Leagues, and if the reports of not-so-serious damage to SpectroMagic are correct, that too is suspect.

So do you think it would have been feasible for them to be used in the parking lot?

Sharp turns and power requirements aside, I could see concern over having large doors along the length of the consist which open upwards and towards guests (who naturally tend to crowd the sides of the tram soon as it stops). You don't have the CM presence, to keep people corralled, out in the parking lots that existed at the Back Lot Tour loading platform.

halltd

Sharp turns and power requirements aside, I could see concern over having large doors along the length of the consist which open upwards and towards guests (who naturally tend to crowd the sides of the tram soon as it stops). You don't have the CM presence, to keep people corralled, out in the parking lots that existed at the Back Lot Tour loading platform.

Did the doors open on both sides of the backlot tram? Or only on one? For some reason I thought they only opened on the right side (of forward motion). I haven't ridden the trams very much in the DHS parking lot, but can't you get on and off both sides?

Phil12

Your right. If they ever tried to use them as parking lot trams some small child would get knocked down by the tram door and the lawsuits would begin. However, I do think the passenger cars could be repurposed. As an example, remember the tickets booths at Pleasure Island? Those were repurposed train cars form the old Fort Wilderness Train. I'd like to see WDW do something similar with a few of the old Backlot Tour trams.

Figment2005

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen something like this at Disney. Managers reportedly wanted to shutter 20,000 Leagues, and if the reports of not-so-serious damage to SpectroMagic are correct, that too is suspect.

I had not even thought about that, but good point.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Then everyone would complain about the fact that they are using old worn out vehicles instead of spending the money to buy new modern ones.
So just complain about the complainers before any negative remarks have even been made? You take great offense to anybody using the word apologist, but your quick, unwarranted assumptions are acceptable?

No, it's paranoia, they wouldn't care if everyone in the world complained. They decided it was done, and it is done.
So any decision the company makes is justifiable simply because, "they decided it"? Im not referring to the tram cars either. Im just asking if thats how you feel in general?

Goofyernmost

So just complain about the complainers before any negative remarks have even been made? You take great offense to anybody using the word apologist, but your quick, unwarranted assumptions are acceptable?

So any decision the company makes is justifiable simply because, "they decided it"? Im not referring to the tram cars either. Im just asking if thats how you feel in general?

You are correct, I assumed that would happen. Do you have an argument as to why it wouldn't or do you just like to pick conversational statements apart with non-supported sarcasm? In this case, they are acceptable because you know as well as I do that it would happen. But, that said, it was a throw-away statement anyway so believe what you will.

In reference to the second paragraph. If you bothered to read my posts otherwise, you would quickly see that I do not always agree with the decisions that Disney makes for their company. What I am saying is if it isn't acceptable the only recourse we have is to stop financially supporting it. It is their company to run whatever way they want to run it. If you're a stockholder then it is your obligation to directly let them know that you do not agree with their decisions, if you are not then you have no power at all other then with your wallet. No large company takes it's advice from people that obviously have no clue as how a business is run, financed or works to maximize the way they control their expenses. To all of you Disney is nothing more then a Theme Park created by a very unique and destined individual called Walt Disney. It is all done, according to you folks with that stuff that you hate to the point of making it a derogatory label... the Pixie Dust. Even though what I said did sound accusatory, the big difference is that I was pointing out no one in particular, but, if you have spent more then 5 minutes reading these threads you would know that it will happen, just like your end decides that if someone likes something that you don't, then they are apologists, instead of expressing their personal likings.

No planning, thought or protection of stockholders can enter into it, and it should all run based on the personal wishes and desires of yourselves. The bigger picture doesn't enter your minds. It is always, I don't like it, so it's a bad decision.

Goofyernmost

@marni1971 Do you know the difference, if any, between the tour tram and parking tram dimensions?
I'm not marni, but, the way the trams are designed, they well track in the same path as the tractor. Whatever turn the tractor can make the tram cars will just follow in the same footprint. It took me awhile to figure out how it did it, but, it does it with the precision of a ballet dancer.

Kman101

This is the same company that let the 20K subs rot in a field so yeah, this isn't at all surprising. And considering how fast they got to work on the backlot after closing it down, I'd venture a guess it was a move to save the cost of operating the ride before the so called big makeover. I mean, why else has it been shut down since September 2014? It's now almost exactly 7 months later. Is costuming still full? Besides AFI, has ANYTHING been done there?

Goofyernmost

This is the same company that let the 20K subs rot in a field so yeah, this isn't at all surprising. And considering how fast they got to work on the backlot after closing it down, I'd venture a guess it was a move to save the cost of operating the ride before the so called big makeover. I mean, why else has it been shut down since September 2014? It's now almost exactly 7 months later. Is costuming still full? Besides AFI, has ANYTHING been done there?
Seriously, do you realize what would have happened if they sold the Subs as is? There would be a number of fools that would attempt to use them as real submarines and the lawsuits would fly. Sometimes they have no choice but to just destroy what might be a hazard when out of it's intended element. Besides where would the market be for that many submarines. Maybe a third world country attempting to create their own Navy?

Kman101

Seriously, do you realize what would have happened if they sold the Subs as is? There would be a number of fools that would attempt to use them as real submarines and the lawsuits would fly. Sometimes they have no choice but to just destroy what might be a hazard when out of it's intended element. Besides where would the market be for that many submarines. Maybe a third world country attempting to create their own Navy?

Will you stop lecturing everyone? I'm just stating a fact. They dumped them. That's all. I wasn't getting on them or anything. You jump to their defense waaaay too much.

Goofyernmost

Will you stop lecturing everyone? I'm just stating a fact. They dumped them. That's all. I wasn't getting on them or anything. You jump to their defense waaaay too much.
OK, let's see if I got this... If I try to explain why something happens, then I'm lecturing someone. If you, however, make comments that are targeted to the implying that Disney is a backwater, heartless company with no soul or foresight, then that is just logic. I'm I about correct on that? Why don't I just say what I want to say and you just say what you want to say and let the rest decide who they feel is correct? Would that work? Discussion only works when two or more are contributing. If it's just you, then that is lecturing. Look it up!

And the following can be interpreted as "not getting on them or anything"?
This is the same company that let the 20K subs rot in a field so yeah, this isn't at all surprising. And considering how fast they got to work on the backlot after closing it down, I'd venture a guess it was a move to save the cost of operating the ride before the so called big makeover. I mean, why else has it been shut down since September 2014? It's now almost exactly 7 months later.

Kman101

lol. If that's what you got from my post I'm not going to argue with you. I'm sorry you don't like what I said but we are all entitled to our opinion. And yes, you do lecture. You seem to get upset over the slightest criticism and then proceed to explain why it's not so bad. That's fine and all but you completely read into my post what you wanted to see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom