Background and Questions!

Annac

Original Poster
I am American living abroad (Italy) and EXTREMELY excited about my trip to Orlando, but I haven't been to the world since before Epcot was built!! I have a 9-year-old child who has only been to Disneyland Paris when he was four. I am investing a huge amount of time and effort (not to mention the money) on this trip. Anyway here goes: my plea for help!

We are traveling from overseas (Italy) and we need to get the most we can in the shortest amount of time!

We are a party of 3: 2 enthusiastic fans (my son and I) and one extremely reluctant Italian husband. Our main event is the wizarding world of HP .We would like to avoid lines

so what we would like to do is stay on site at universal see Harry Potter, simpson rides..

and then another 2 days at disney (change of hotel.. staying on site)

So here are my numerous questions:

1) If it is worth it, we would consider a vip tour (factoring in the fact that we could save money on extra day in hotel, food and above all stress) even if it is a bit of a waste because hubby's English is limited.

2) Our main focus on visiting Hollywood studios and above all Epcot, and limited Magic Kingdom. Which hotel is best? Closest to Epcot

3) Which hotel is best in Universal Studios? Closest to Islands of Adventure.

4) . Both DH and I have august off from work so that’s the only period I can come. I really want to avoid paying so much money (airfare, hotel) and then having to wait 5 hours to see DIagon Alley! I’ve read some trip reports and I was just aghast. How can I avoid it??

Thanks everyone for your precious help!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Welcome aboard

2) I'd choose Port Orleans French Quarter - there are other resorts close by)

4) August - you cannot avoid the crowds. However, the later in the month you go the more likely you are to miss some of the American tourists as their schools go back earlier than UK ones (for example)

Annac

Original Poster
I know but It's the only vacation time I have! I was thinking from the 26th of august till the 30th, Is Port Orleans French Quarter near Epcot? Why would you choose that one? Good experience?
Thanks for answering!

CAPTAIN HOOK

As I mentioned previously - there are several Resorts close to EPCOT.
Check this link http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/propertymap.htm
Port Orleans French Quarter and Port Orleans Riverside are two moderate Resorts. The others are The Beach Club Resort, The Yacht Club Resort, The Boardwalk and Caribbean Beach Resort.
I've only stayed at POFQ - we found it ideal. Its half the size of POR which makes it quieter and more intimate. The pool is better than POR. Both of these are serviced by a water taxi to DownTown Disney. I cannot comment on the other Resorts. All members on here will have their own favourites.

deanaandrich

The boardwalk, yacht club, beach club, swan and dolphin are all nice hotels and all within walking distance (or boat ride if you prefer) to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
If you are going the last weekend in August, the crowds will not be as bad as earlier in the month.

Annac

Original Poster
I really hope the crowds won't be that bad! We are coming from Europe and I really need this to be the best experience!
We're flying over from Italy, visiting family in NY, NJ and then going to washington or Boston... I only convinced him that it would be soooo worth it to go to Florida (much better thatn Paris Disneyland) I will never forget my vacations in Disney, but my husband is not to happy about crowds and waiting in line! So i have to organize everything perfectly!

Annac

Original Poster
I
Disneyland Paris is a poor relation when it comes to Disney Parks. Sure, its better than not going at all, but I'd much rather spend 9 hours in a plane over the Atlantic and visit THE Happiest Place in The World :)
I completely agree! It was awful and it made my husband a non believer! He believe there's such a difference

TB4244

It's a massive difference. It's warm, sunny, friendly and full of magic at WDW. DLP has it's charms of course but hearing everything in French really detracts from the experience for me. I actually thought the stretching room voice over sounded hilarious in HM rather than scary.
I'm not keen on the smoking in the ride queues either....

Jeffxz

1) At universal, you won't need a VIP tour if you stay on site (except at cabana bay). You will have a free unlimited front of the line pass that works on everything except the Harry Potter rides. You will be able to enter the park an hour earlier than non resort guests and you should be able to get on the Harry Potter rides during this time. 5 hour waits next August are very unlikely. Think 40-80 minute wait times in the peak afternoon, mornings and evenings will be much lower.

2) Boardwalk, Beach Club and Swan & Dolphin are closest and within walking distance to both. Swan & Dolphin are best bang for your buck, or consider renting DVC points for the boardwalk.

3) Lowes Royal Pacific is closest to IOA. But the 3 Deluxe hotels are all within walking distance, or they have a shuttle boat.

4) As others have said, the last week of August would be best. Make sure to take advantage of Fastpass+, create a thread in the MM+ section with your priorities listed and take some suggestions from the regulars on what to use for FP+.

As a few others have said, the MK is pretty much a must do for a 9 year old. It will be easy to spend a full day there.

ThemeParkJunkee

1) At universal, you won't need a VIP tour if you stay on site (except at cabana bay). You will have a free unlimited front of the line pass that works on everything except the Harry Potter rides. You will be able to enter the park an hour earlier than non resort guests and you should be able to get on the Harry Potter rides during this time. 5 hour waits next August are very unlikely. Think 40-80 minute wait times in the peak afternoon, mornings and evenings will be much lower.

2) Boardwalk, Beach Club and Swan & Dolphin are closest and within walking distance to both. Swan & Dolphin are best bang for your buck, or consider renting DVC points for the boardwalk.

3) Lowes Royal Pacific is closest to IOA. But the 3 Deluxe hotels are all within walking distance, or they have a shuttle boat.

4) As others have said, the last week of August would be best. Make sure to take advantage of Fastpass+, create a thread in the MM+ section with your priorities listed and take some suggestions from the regulars on what to use for FP+.

As a few others have said, the MK is pretty much a must do for a 9 year old. It will be easy to spend a full day there.

What I was going to say. I love Beach Club for proximity to Epcot and DHS. I would also stay on site at Universal for the Express Pass and Early Entry for one night. Royal Pacific is the least expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom