Back and leg problems while traversing the world

Hi Everyone,

Here's my situation:

I recently (2 mos. ago) had back surgery to fix a severely herniated disc in my lower back (for those of you medical folks it was at the L5-S1 level on the left side). Needless to say it got me out of most of my pain. No more radiating pain down the leg or pain in the back.

HOWEVER, there is still a lot of pain when I walk. So much, in fact, that I can't walk but about a mile and then I am in big trouble.

It seems that I will eventually need a spinal fusion :eek: . Which I really don't want.

Anyhow, I am going to the World at the end of this year, and want to be able to enjoy myself and not drag my wife and our friends down. What is the best way I can do this?

I am hesitant to rent a wheelchair or motorized scooter, because:

1) those are for people who really need them, not an idiot like me

2) I have never used one before, and don't want to hurt people or run into them, etc.

3) I don't want people to think less of me when I get out of the scooter/wheelchair to ride a ride (some people think you are only faking/cutting the line/or don't really need it)

4) I don't want people to treat me special because I am having trouble getting around...I want CMs and other guests to help (as they should) other people who deserve the help and need the help, and not waste time on an idiot like me.

5) I don't want to slow up my wife and friends

What the heck should I do? We're going to be there from Dec. 22 through Jan. 1. What is it like to rent one then?

Sorry for the long post. I'm just nervous and a little frustrated with myself.

Thanks, as always,

Johnny

saltmom1

Hi Everyone,

Here's my situation:

I recently (2 mos. ago) had back surgery to fix a severely herniated disc in my lower back (for those of you medical folks it was at the L5-S1 level on the left side). Needless to say it got me out of most of my pain. No more radiating pain down the leg or pain in the back.

HOWEVER, there is still a lot of pain when I walk. So much, in fact, that I can't walk but about a mile and then I am in big trouble.

Remember that it has only been 2 months. Did you
have to stay in bed for 2 weeks ? That knocks it down to only a about 6 weeks. I had a similar surgery and at 2 months couldn't do anything either. Give yourself time. You should be better when you go to WDW.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom