Baby Animals at the Animal Kingdom/Animal Kingdom Lodge

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
This happens every few weeks or so - I figured there should be a general thread for all of this stuff. If people happen to catch good photos of the babies this might be a good place for at as well.

Over on the Disney Parks Blog, they just posted an article about a baby Okapi being born over at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. For those familiar with the resort, Okapis and Red River Hogs are on a separate Savannah over at Kidani Village. They are not on the shared Savannah between Kidani and Jambo House.

zee496523LARGE.jpg

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge guests may get a glimpse of a rare and unusual baby animal in a month or so when our new okapi calf goes out on the resort’s Pembe savanna. The female calf, born Oct. 1, is backstage bonding with her mom in this great photo taken by Gene Duncan. Our animal care managers report that mom and baby are doing very well.

The Pembe savanna in Kidani Village presents an exceptional opportunity for guests to see okapi in a large, mixed-species savanna habitat right outside the guests’ hotel rooms throughout the day and into the evening.

The okapi is considered rare and is classified as near threatened. The main threat is habitat loss due to logging and human settlement as well as hunting for the bush meat and skin trade.

Okapi fun facts:

•There are fewer than one hundred okapi in North American zoological facilities.
•The okapi with its white and black striped legs is often thought to be related to the zebra but actually is the only living relative of the giraffe. The stripes work as camouflage when hiding in the partial sunlight that filters through the forest canopy.
•Okapi are typically solitary animals, living alone or in mother-offspring pairs. They are extremely wary and secretive, making okapi very difficult to observe in the lowland rainforest of central Africa where they make their home.
•The okapi’s gestation period is about 14 months, with the calf typically weighing between 50 and 60 pounds at birth.
•Adult okapi can reach weights of 550-720 pounds with females typically being larger than males. They can live over 30 years in zoological facilities.
•Normally silent, female okapi vocalize with a soft “chuff” during courtship and when calling to their calves. There are infrasonic qualities to their call, which are below the frequency that the human ear can pick up.

Maryssa*

This is so thrilling, they are one of my favorite animals!

The comments on the facebook post for this made me extremely angry. Tons of people that have no clue what this animal is claiming it's some man-made cross-species just because they've never heard of it before! Very very sad considering how much help and support this animal needs to prevent extinction. What happened to the spirit of discovery that these people can't do a little bit of research before making such ignorant statements? :shrug:

Tip Top Club

I'm glad to see this posted, they do such great breeding work at Animal Kingdom and the Lodge, and so few of the animals get noticed. Obviously the baby Elephant got a lot of attention, but the baby Mandrill this summer didn't, and no one seems to notice things like the Baby Pelicans and Flamingos that are currently on show. (We had a great driver the other day who pointed some of these things out.)

Thanks!

disneypearl

The Okapi is one of my favorite animals to find at Animal Kingdom and I am excited to hear of the success of the birth at Animal Kingdom Lodge. They are such beautiful animals and the baby okapi is adorable. I hope to spot her in March when I will be staying at AKL.

maxairmike

When they had the baby white rhino (forget her name) at DAK last year I was lucky enough to get a morning safari on her first day out there. She was an energetic thing and both her and the mom ran right by the jeep.

ms7479a

I actually saw the baby mandrill on the safari today. I consider myself lucky because the mandrills are usually really hard to spot.

Captain Hank

I actually saw the baby mandrill on the safari today. I consider myself lucky because the mandrills are usually really hard to spot.
They've actually been pretty active and visible lately, waaaaay more than before. Anyway, really excited to hear about the baby Okapi! She's so cute. Definitely going to go see her when she's out.

The Duck

A close friend (and Disney fanatic) had visited DAK at least 5 times and each time he returned he would say, "There are no animals in Animal Kingdom". He would admit that he saw animals on KS but other than that, he never saw an animal even when a friend and former CM gave him a personal tour. It wasn't until I visited DAK with him and showed him the exhibits that he had been walking past while on his way to a ride or show that he realized what he had been missing. It's sad to think of all the people who visit DAK and don't take a minute or two to look around them and take it all in. Of course, DAK still needs more attractions (as many other threads have repeated ad nauseum) but the animals and the theming are second to none.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
A close friend (and Disney fanatic) had visited DAK at least 5 times and each time he returned he would say, "There are no animals in Animal Kingdom". He would admit that he saw animals on KS but other than that, he never saw an animal even when a friend and former CM gave him a personal tour. It wasn't until I visited DAK with him and showed him the exhibits that he had been walking past while on his way to a ride or show that he realized what he had been missing. It's sad to think of all the people who visit DAK and don't take a minute or two to look around them and take it all in. Of course, DAK still needs more attractions (as many other threads have repeated ad nauseum) but the animals and the theming are second to none.

It shouldn't bother me that others don't get the same satisfaction out of this park that I do. I won't say it's Nahtazu because it is a zoo - the zoo part is just very well done. The zoo aspect isn't as expansive as San Diego Zoo, San Diego Wild Animal Park or the National Zoo, but what is there is done exceptionally well.

The criticims about the animals in the Animal Kingdom are the same criticisms of any zoo in the country. Animals sleep, animals want privacy, you're not going to see every animal when you visit any zoo in the world. When you consider how expansive the habitats are in the Animal Kingdom, it's amazing how much you do see.

Supergirl7710

I love the baby animals. On my trip this past July I had the thrill of catching a glimpse of the baby Rafiki ;D But our Kilimanjaro driver was a jerk and wouldn't slow down to let us take pictures.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Unfortunately they are not allowed to stop outside the Mandrill Area...

Yeah, I haven't had good luck with photos of Mandrills. A couple of my local zoos have Mandrill exhibits as well but unfortunately the set up at these don't lend themselves to photos either.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I've seen red river hogs on Arush savanna. Did they move them?

I may be mistaken, but I thought I was told in February of last year that they are with the Okapis in the private Savannah at Kidani Village. Is that the Pembe Savannah?

DABIGCHEEZ

AK is our favorite park. We usually spend 2 days there. Those that run to do Everset and Dinosaur are the one who say it is a 1/2 day park. We love to enjoy the animals(that many folks just stroll right by) and the shows. My son and I can easily spend at least a 1/2 hour or more in each of the bird aviaries in Africa and Asia. We like to ID every bird in there. Great to see the new addition over at the Kidani Village. Okapis have been a favorite of mine... long before Disney had them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom