Average Uber cost

NelleBelle

Original Poster
I'm trying to decide if renting a car for our WDW trip is worth it. We mainly want it because we want to visit Universal for a couple days. I've never used Uber and wonder if someone can 1) tell me if an Uber car can pick-up at a Disney resort (e.g. AKL villa) and 2) how much does an average fare to Universal cost? Apologies if this is listed in a thread already. Thanks!

JoeCamel

If you load the uber app you can set up a trip with the different end points (uni is 6000 universal drive) to see the cost. They will pick you up at your resort.

Cesar R M

@Cesar R M just used them from a resort and if I remember correctly it was about $15 one way
Uber from Old Key West to the Doubletree by Hilton at Universal Orlando, was mere 14.95 USD according to Uber's App.
The guy gave us way better treatment than a normal MEARS taxi, so I gave extra as tip.

And yes, the Uber cab had no issues getting inside the DVC resort and pick us up from the Hospitality House.

Note that you can see nearby Uber cabs in the map application.
Infact, there were like 50+ Ubers in the DisneyWorld zone before the closer one accepted the request.

Also, theres Uber of all sizes even if you order the basic UberX.
The guy who picked us up, had a Kia Minivan , which had plenty of space.
Another one had a very big Lincoln, and the smaller one was of a normal black car that looked similar to a Nissan Tida.

Also, Uber from the parking lot of Universal Studios to the Hilton was just 4.45 USD each way. (in case you miss the buses, as most of them end their service at 8:15pm flat)

You can see an estimate of your fare here: http://uberestimate.com/ .
I tried it and sometimes it does not "latch" to the place you want to go. Doesn't recognize many disney hotels..thus doesnt give you a proper estimate. No idea why.

Last edited:

Kate Alan

You guys trust Uber at all? I'm not sure and haven't ever used it. Seems like some nut could show up to drive you and be clueless as to where you are going?

Uber operates by user ratings. When you request an Uber, you're able to see the drivers rating, their photo, and the car model (photo when available) and plate number. If a rating is low, select another driver. And as always exercise good judgment - for example, if a driver pulls up and doesn't match their photo, or a car pulls up claiming to be Uber but doesn't match the model or plates, don't get in the car.

I've used Uber a ton in multiple cities and only once had an issue, and it was the very mundane issue of a taxi driver trying to "take advantage" of a tourist they assume doesn't know the area and going a longer route. Nothing nefarious. And I rated him accordingly afterwards.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Good point--I've had many a cab rip me off by taking me out of the way (learned this after the fact from friends and repeat visits to cities). It'd be nice if cab drivers operated on a review system as well :)

James J

In the Parks
No
You guys trust Uber at all? I'm not sure and haven't ever used it. Seems like some nut could show up to drive you and be clueless as to where you are going?

I used Uber 4 times whilst in Orlando, to get between Port Orleans Riverside and Universal. It was easy, much cheaper than a taxi, and very reliable. @Kate Alan explained it all well. I'd never used Uber here in the UK before travelling to WDW, but had no issues as well as saving money!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I found uber to be cumbersome in the theme parks tho. It wasn't clear where the guy would be able to pick us up, and get them to the taxi queue.. etc. It was not nearly as straight forward as every other location due to the lack of curb access.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom