Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Brer Oswald

I think this is an unhealthy view that has crept up in the fan community and to some extent the halls of Imagineering. It's either an E-ticket or it's nothing? We need C-D tickets.

I'm not making excuses for the rollout and for all I know this attraction might be garbage, but the proposal is:

1) A Flight of Passage like ride
2) A Marvel Tower of Terror
3) A Toy Story Midway Mania Ride

Apart from Disney's ineptitude with a slow rollout, why are we saying the third attraction is the problem?

I don't see how that is inherently Disney doing worse than Universal. It's theoretically a pretty good land in terms of attractions *maybe not style (but let's be frank IOA isn't winning style points).
You’re completely missing my point. My complaint isn’t “we only need E tickets”. It’s “why aren’t the big money making IPS getting the high effort E Tickets???”. If you listed those three types of rides, I would have guessed that Spider would be the Tower, Avengers the FoP ride, and Guardians the shooter. Guardians is the type of property to fit a C ticket. Not Spider-Man.

BrianLo

Original Poster
You’re completely missing my point. My complaint isn’t “we only need E tickets”. It’s “why aren’t the big money making IPS getting the high effort E Tickets???”. If you listed those three types of rides, I would have guessed that Spider would be the Tower, Avengers the FoP ride, and Guardians the shooter. Guardians is the type of property to fit a C ticket. Not Spider-Man.

Honestly - Rights Issues. There was supposed to be shared costs with Guardians with Florida.

I'm kind of surprised there is a Spiderman going into this at all.

999th Happy Haunt

I’m also concerned with how the last couple “secondary rides” Disney has put out for new lands have not been extremely well received. Swirling Saucers kind of gets a pass since it’s a flat ride, but reception for Navi and Falcon have been mixed at best. Hope Spider Man doesn’t fall into that category either.

Disney Analyst

The problem is that everything they do has an E-ticket price tag, even if the end result is not up to that standard (intentionally or not).

This means expectations are higher than ever because corporate wants to see a return on investment and fans who hear what kind of money is being thrown around expect big things.

It's easier for them to do A-D tickets when they're packaged as part of a new land where the budgets for individual components are less likely to be scrutinized.

I'm always of the mindset that I don't care a rats patootie what the budget was or is. And the majority of guests don't even think about it.

Build me good rides, whatever level ticket they are. The budget doesn't even factor into my thoughts on an attraction.

Giss Neric

I mean, most people call Splash Mountain The Log Ride and called Haunted Mansion The Haunted House. I even have some die hard Disney fans who have been to WDW dozens of times and never been to USO nor want to because they are convinced that Disney is so much better and why waste money on a "lesser" park.

Considering Disney will even have lesser versions of attractions within their own parks, I don't think it affects anyone other than people like us. The fact that DHS has the bare bones Frozen Sing Along whereas DCA has the elaborate stage show shows that lay people don't really compare and contrast. We know the DLR Pirates is light years better than WDW's, but ask your average guest at either park and they won't know that the two rides are different much less than one is better or worse.

Universal does it too. I never thought the USH Mummy was bad until I went to USO.

Most of those fans have this preconceived notion that Universal has too many screen rides and only Potter is good. I mean even at Disney you won't ever see them step foot on Star Tours, Smuggler's Run or even Flight of Passage even when I try to convince them that it's an amazing ride.

Professortango1

Most of those fans have this preconceived notion that Universal has too many screen rides and only Potter is good. I mean even at Disney you won't ever see them step foot on Star Tours, Smuggler's Run or even Flight of Passage even when I try to convince them that it's an amazing ride.
Oh no, they love Star Tours and Smugglers Run. They eat up Mission BO, which is the most Universal attraction Disney has built. They just have drunk the Kool-aid and believe Disney is AMAZING and everything else is TERRIBLE! I told them that Daigon Alley surpassed any Disney experience for me, and I'm not even a HP fan, and they went berserk. The idea of Universal doing anything good or even better than Disney was unfathomable to them.

George Lucas on a Bench

There are too many screen rides at Universal and some real garbage like Jimmy Kimmel, Transformers and Fast and the Furious. Heck, we'll include the Simpsons ride, which I can't even ride due to the sickening screen.

But that's four really, really crappy rides that can easily be skipped while you enjoy all the good stuff.

Giss Neric

Oh no, they love Star Tours and Smugglers Run. They eat up Mission BO, which is the most Universal attraction Disney has built. They just have drunk the Kool-aid and believe Disney is AMAZING and everything else is TERRIBLE! I told them that Daigon Alley surpassed any Disney experience for me, and I'm not even a HP fan, and they went berserk. The idea of Universal doing anything good or even better than Disney was unfathomable to them.
That's a whole nother level of breed of fans LOL! I'm sure there are Universal fans that will hate anything Disney puts out as evidenced by some posters here and I'm not talking about those who gives constructive criticisms and just calls them out when they deserve it.

We should all give credit where credit is due.

Professortango1

There are too many screen rides at Universal and some real garbage like Jimmy Kimmel, Transformers and Fast and the Furious. Heck, we'll include the Simpsons ride, which I can't even ride due to the sickening screen.

But that's four really, really crappy rides that can easily be skipped while you enjoy all the good stuff.
Yeah, there are plenty of duds. But MIB is better than any of the shooters Disney has made. Pluto's is the best rafting ride I've been on whereas Kali is the worst. The Mummy is far better than Rockin Rollercoaster. Jurassic Park, Gringotts, Forbidden Journey, and Spiderman are all solid attractions.

I may hate Kong, but the facade and queue are top notch, even if the attraction is lackluster. The final AA is great, even if it just calmly looks at you.

George Lucas on a Bench

I like Kong and don't really care for the HP ride in USF. The screen bits in Kong are better than the ones in HP, where they didn't seem to get the scale right and everyone looks like Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

NobodyElse

Pluto's is the best rafting ride I've been on

1611157937184.png

Travel Junkie

I would have guessed that Spider would be the Tower, Avengers the FoP ride, and Guardians the shooter. Guardians is the type of property to fit a C ticket. Not Spider-Man.

I don't believe Disney reached an agreement with Sony on the Spiderman movie rights until 2019. Disney wasn't going to go out of their way to build or re-skin a ride promoting a property they didn't fully control. Once it became clear they had more control over the direction of the franchise, the Spiderman ride at DCA became more viable.

At the time Tower was being considered for a redo, Guardians was the hot property with volume 2 coming out to promote. Also as been said, they were originally going to clone it on both coasts.

Brer Oswald

I don't believe Disney reached an agreement with Sony on the Spiderman movie rights until 2019. Disney wasn't going to go out of their way to build or re-skin a ride promoting a property they didn't fully control. Once it became clear they had more control over the direction of the franchise, the Spiderman ride at DCA became more viable.

At the time Tower was being considered for a redo, Guardians was the hot property with volume 2 coming out to promote. Also as been said, they were originally going to clone it on both coasts.
They announced the Spider-Man ride before the new contract was initiated. I remember pointing out the irony of them “losing the right” as they were proceeding with an MCU Spider-Man ride.

Travel Junkie

The announcement for the ride was one month BEFORE they announced that Disney and Sony didn’t plan to renew their contract (which was later fixed). So they intended to make a Spider-Man ride, even after the current contract was finished.

It's reasonable to assume Disney knew what would happen a month later when they made the ride announcement.

They certainly designed the ride before the deal was finalized, but I doubt they would have gone forward without assurances the deal was done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom