Scuttle

How can anyone claim they know anything about the current specifics of the state of Avatar when no one had any clue about Disney pursuing the Avatar property to begin with? More than likely Disney is working on it and when it's ready they will let us know.

Because Disney hadn't hired anyone yet. More than likely... Well no 100% for certain Disney is working with multiple outside vendors/contractors, so Disney isn't the only company to have this info. I'd say A LOT of the leaks come from outside TWDC.

Because Disney hadn't hired anyone yet. More than likely... Well no 100% for certain Disney is working with multiple outside vendors/contractors, so Disney isn't the only company to have this info. I'd say A LOT of the leaks come from outside TWDC.

What leaks? Nobody knew anything, "insider" or not about it anywhere until Disney made the announcement. Facts are facts.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What leaks? Nobody knew anything, "insider" or not about it anywhere until Disney made the announcement. Facts are facts.

Actually, I believe Lee mentioned he received word of the Avatar move before it was made public, but since it was so far out in left field he didn't feel comfortable making it public. Not every piece of information is going to make its way into the light, so using that as some sort of barometer won't work.

pheneix

So.... Avatarland not as dead as I thought when I originally shared info. Still not as dramatic or "revolutionary for the industry" as Disney would like everyone to believe. It has been incredibly downsized and as of now there is no intent to build this anywhere than Orlando.

Don't set your expectations higher than a Wizarding World phase one sized addition with one marquee ride and a plethora of shopping and dining experiences.

While this is a welcome addition to DAK, Disney is going into a sword fight with a butter knife in Orlando compared to what Universal is getting ready to bring out.

Oh, and just for the sake of sharing some new information for information's sake, Disneyland Resort Paris has much deeper financial problems than what are widely believed, and they are going to be talked about in detail later in the year. :eek:

menamechris

So.... Avatarland not as dead as I thought when I originally shared info. Still not as dramatic or "revolutionary for the industry" as Disney would like everyone to believe. It has been incredibly downsized and as of now there is no intent to build this anywhere than Orlando.

Don't set your expectations higher than a Wizarding World phase one sized addition with one marquee ride and a plethora of shopping and dining experiences.

While this is a welcome addition to DAK, Disney is going into a sword fight with a butter knife in Orlando compared to what Universal is getting ready to bring out.

Oh, and just for the sake of sharing some new information for information's sake, Disneyland Resort Paris has much deeper financial problems than what are widely believed, and they are going to be talked about in detail later in the year. :eek:

Hopefully, this could mean the budget will not be as large...and maybe the balance can go elsewhere at the resort? Maybe Hollywood Studios please?

Very interesting about DLP...wonder what the options are there...

Scuttle

Facts are that Lee received an email that said simply Avatar and he thought it was a joke. If you had been on this site and reading long enough you would have caught that post. There are two kinds of inside sources. Those that have a direct link to WDI and those that have a direct link to an independent contractor working for Disney. To think no one has any essential info about Avland is foolish.

dxwwf3

It would be great if the American Idol Experience would be replaced with a version of Cinemagique for the Studios. It's a shame that a large theater in a great location has such a poor attraction.

NoChesterHester

So.... Avatarland not as dead as I thought when I originally shared info. Still not as dramatic or "revolutionary for the industry" as Disney would like everyone to believe.

I hope you are wrong and it blows the doors off. They can't be the ostrich with their heads in the sand forever. Eventually people start hearing the screaming...

It has been incredibly downsized and as of now there is no intent to build this anywhere than Orlando.

I'm sure the *cough* tepid response from the online community put the brakes on the mass roll out talk... Cooler heads prevail. If it is a smashing success then the talk could flare up again.

Again, I sure hope you are wrong about the quality... If it matches Phase 1 of Potter, I would actually be pretty pleased with that. I am on board with the Blue People, but would rather have quality over quantity.... besides too much Avatar may be a bad thing.

They just seem so scared to make any bold decision. More content to dump tons of money into over themed circus'.

Ruh roh! So much for Star Wars land! ;)

choco choco

Disneyland Paris just reported a 22% operating loss, equaling 120 million Euros, in the first half of 2012 and is still 2 Billion in debt. How "much deeper" can financial problems get?

Magenta Panther

Avatar has yet to prove itself as being a franchise with any kind of long-term resonance, unlike Star Wars or Harry Potter. Building a WDW attraction out of it was a very dumb idea of Iger's, so dumb that maybe even he's figured that out by now. I hope it gets cancelled altogether (as I've indicated before, sorry for the rerun). I can tolerate non-Disney or non-Disney-generated properties existing in DHS, because there, they're kind of like "guest stars" on a Disney movie lot, part of a celebration of Hollywood, and not just Walt's Hollywood (which is kind of a pity, actually. Buena Vista Street over at Disneyland is already eating DHS's lunch when it comes to theming BECAUSE of its focus on Walt's early years in Tinseltown), but when they start popping up elsewhere in the parks, that's going too close to the horrid notion of WDW being transformed from a Disney park to a park with some Disney in it. :eek:

Anyway...speaking of DHS, if Disney ever wants to build another attraction there, how about one based on The Wizard of Oz? Such a beloved film that's stood the test of time (and one, incidentally, that Walt was indirectly the catalyst of) deserves its own attraction, and a major one at that. I wish TDO would give that some thought. I think people would love such a ride, better than they would anything based on the big blue kitties.

menamechris

Disneyland Paris just reported a 22% operating loss, equaling 120 million Euros, in the first half of 2012 and is still 2 Billion in debt. How "much deeper" can financial problems get?

Wow..that's incredible. I knew they weren't doing well, but I never heard HOW badly. So the question is - what do you do with a resort that just won't make money? Hhmmm..

pheneix

It's the banks who are holding that 2 billion in debt that are going to be causing high level drama later this year. The resort is failing miserably at meeting its drastically revised commitments that were made a few years ago.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In all fairness the resort (DLP) has spent a small fortune the past year. Whenever it gets ahead a recession seems to come along and noble it.

Bolna

In all fairness the resort (DLP) has spent a small fortune the past year. Whenever it gets ahead a recession seems to come along and noble it.

The sad thing however is that they need to spend a huge fortune to actually make that resort presentable again. I was there this spring and could not believe that despite all the refurbishments that went on over the last year it actually looked worse in many places than a year prior.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The sad thing however is that they need to spend a huge fortune to actually make that resort presentable again. I was there this spring and could not believe that despite all the refurbishments that went on over the last year it actually looked worse in many places than a year prior.

^ indeed. The resort was built to such lavish standards it's tough to keep up. At the Newport in 05 we had a wooden balcony that was literally rotting. So much wood was used in the construction the climate takes it toll. It takes a good 3 years to refurb each resort on a rolling program that never ends.

|Q|

Wow..that's incredible. I knew they weren't doing well, but I never heard HOW badly. So the question is - what do you do with a resort that just won't make money? Hhmmm..

It makes money, the problem is it's not enough to repay the debts, and it's drowning in it. But DLP is THE most visited place in all Europe.

Q

jt04

So am I to assume that the "bad guys" are those who do not want Avatarland?

Yikes... :lookaroun

No, I am refering to those who refuse to change with the times. This is a fan site where the overwhelming majority want the WDW that we know can happen. Where we differ is how we get there. And running spirited interference for either side in a turf war is not productive to our goals.

We will take progress anyway we can get it. With Universal setting the example whether we wanted them to or not. Be careful what you wish for.....yadda yadda

Sorry, Uni still has proven nothing yet. Not that the potential is not there. I have shared how it very much is with the right strategy. And my proof is that Uni has been doing some pretty serious discounting while WDW attedance continues to do amazingly well in a sputtering economy. Hardly a butter knife. :lol:

It is entirely possible Avatar has been scaled back. The choice of the CMM plot seems to be an indicator. But that does not mean that TWDC has not reallocated monies to better meet the challange for what Uni does have brewing. I think Universal is far enough along in the development process that the mouse can now effectively deploy counter-measures. DTD is still my prediction of what adds will be announced first. (Not counting the already announced Splitsville). But that may just be one of many new adds. This explains the Fantasmic rumor perfectly.

This may get good for all of us here. :cool:

PS- some of you have to be getting up to speed on how all this works by now, right!? :veryconfu :brick: Or am I going to have to do this for the rest of my life? :dazzle:

GLaDOS

And my proof is that Uni has been doing some pretty serious discounting

What are you going on about now?:rolleyes: Universal is doing no such thing as "serious discounting". For someone who rallies against misinformation, you seem to dole out your fair share of it.

jt04

What are you going on about now?:rolleyes: Universal is doing no such thing as "serious discounting". For someone who rallies against misinformation, you seem to dole out your fair share of it.

So you are saying there are no deals to be had at Uni right now? You must not be local.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom