AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Raychul

Just to add my opinion: contrary to what probably most people think, I believe Avatar is not timeless. The initial "wow factor" has already worn off and most have moved on. I feel that Avatar will have been forgotten or the next big thing will come a long before construction is even finished.

This is an obvious attempt at trying to steal some attention from Universal's Harry Potter-land.

Disney should concentrate on updating and fixing rides that need it first.

I'm still hoping for Rockin' Rollercoaster to be changed into a TRON lightcycle coaster!! *fingers crossed* :)

ms7479a

Avatar as a movie (its plot, characters, and storyline) may not be the best fit in Animal Kingdom. However, as has already been mentioned, its overarching themes or conservation and harmony with nature certainly go hand in hand with the message of the park. In addition, the natural setting of Pandora itself is a perfect fit in my opinion. I really think, and hope, that Disney and Cameron will focus more on immersing guests into the environment of Pandora and its natural beauty rather than the story of Avatar. As Walt Disney said, "I don't want the public to see the world they live in...I want them to feel they're in another world."

TP2000

Have you broken the news to Al yet? I feel sorry for whoever gets stuck with that task. :lol:

I learned of this news from Miceage this morning. Al Lutz was kind enough to put up a link on the front page of Miceage to a very good article in the Chicago Tribune on this topic, that's how I found out. :lol:

I'm sure Al Lutz will have an opinion on this around 2016. Until then, it's not really his beat. He's the Disneyland guy, remember? Kevin Yee, on the other hand, will likely weigh in within a day or two. In the meantime, I've got to Netflix Avatar to see why some are up in arms over this.

I can't wait to read some of the articles from analysts like Yee, after they've sorted through the facts and figures from Tom Staggs Q&A coming later this evening.

MKCP 1985

Those imagined animals were just flashy plot devices, that wasn't the point of the movie. The point of the movie were the people and the trees. And the kingdom of beauty and wonder were referring to the ANIMALS of the Animal kingdom, not the land.

Interesting you pick the one park whose icon is a tree to try and make that point. Rafiki says, "Disney Animal Kingdom is NAHTAZU!"

No, sir. Behold the kingdom of beauty and wonder, apart from the beloved animals. I'll bet each of these images is instantly recognizable as Disney's Animal Kingdom:

The-Tree-of-Life.jpg

images

dinoland_st.jpg

photo credit Scott Thomas

images

kali-river-rapids.jpg

(At dedication, there were no tigers on the Kali River Rapids)

4_dak_africa_ks_001_b.jpg

harambe.jpg

images

There is plenty of room in Disney's Animal Kingdom for a stunning Avatar land and its imaginary animals and peoples while there will still be plenty of gorillas and tigers and Kilimanjaro Safaris animals for the stitchcastles of the world.

stitchcastle

Avatar as a movie (its plot, characters, and storyline) may not be the best fit in Animal Kingdom. However, as has already been mentioned, its overarching themes or conservation and harmony with nature certainly go hand in hand with the message of the park. In addition, the natural setting of Pandora itself is a perfect fit in my opinion. I really think, and hope, that Disney and Cameron will focus more on immersing guests into the environment of Pandora and its natural beauty rather than the story of Avatar. As Walt Disney said, "I don't want the public to see the world they live in...I want them to feel they're in another world."

But that's not the point of Animal Kingdom, it's a tribute to the beauty and wonders of the animal kingdom on earth. If I wanted to be transported to some far off planet that also has these incredible things I would go to EPCOT or DHS where the theme fits better if not perfectly.

Theme Parkitect

Just to add my opinion: contrary to what probably most people think, I believe Avatar is not timeless. The initial "wow factor" has already worn off and most have moved on. I feel that Avatar will have been forgotten or the next big thing will come a long before construction is even finished.

This is an obvious attempt at trying to steal some attention from Universal's Harry Potter-land.

Disney should concentrate on updating and fixing rides that need it first.

I'm still hoping for Rockin' Rollercoaster to be changed into a TRON lightcycle coaster!! *fingers crossed* :)

There are two more movies coming, one of which will most likely be a prequel about the Navi before the invasion....

GLaDOS

Yeah. And when it opens, which will be fresh in people's minds? Thank you very much.

What?:lol:

Both will be. HP is a timeless classic. And Avatar's most recent movie will have just come out.

Again, I love how this always has to be broken down into a theme park ing contest.

RSoxNo1

The boats are viewed as a capacity problem, and would never be put in place as a primary way of getting into a new land. It would cause operational chaos.

Is this an issue that can be resolved with more boats? My understanding besides the long waits was also the issue with very little happening on the boat ride. They were more or less a mode of transport, like the Friendship boats.

Theme Parkitect

But that's not the point of Animal Kingdom, it's a tribute to the beauty and wonders of the animal kingdom on earth. If I wanted to be transported to some far off planet that also has these incredible things I would go to EPCOT or DHS where the theme fits better if not perfectly.

How does it fit better? And I the ONLY ONE that noticed the freaking DRAGON on the logo????? :shrug: The park was about animals of all parts of the world and the imagination. Without EE and other myths, how is it different than a zoo where you ride a truck instead of walk???

imagineer boy

Okay? But you know it can be argued that Avatar is a story about conservation(somewhere in that movie), which is kinda the message of DAK.

Actually the more appropriate message of Avatar would be this:

Chester A Bum: Everything that is human is EVIL!!!!!! And everything that is not human is not... evil. Hooray!

GrumpyFan

THIS. WOW! Totally unexpected!

At first, when I heard the news I had to look at the calendar and make sure it wasn't April Fool's day or something. I hate to start in on a new project like this and go negative, but I just don't see the fit here. Nor do I see this as a timeless kind of theme. I won't go so far as to say I don't like it or don't see it working, but I am somewhat confused as to how/why this happened. However, on a positive note, it is good to see something happening at AK, I just never would have guessed this. Now, I guess I'll just sit back and watch and wait.

Crazy Harry

You are being silly and your arguments are beginning to fail.. It is conversation of the PLANET not ANIMALS... Avatar's message is conversation of their home PLANET...

Part of the problem is should the name of the park not reflect its contents? Conservation is a message, not a theme. The park is called Animal Kingdom, not conservation kingdom, but conservation is an obvious message attached to animals and natural environments. Avatar does not relate to actual animals, natural environements, or human culture and mythology like the rest of Animal Kingdom. If we are ONLY looking at conservation, we are then ignoring all other aspects that make Animal Kingdom what it is now and what it was intended to be based on the name of the park.

Theme Parkitect

What?:lol:

Both will be. HP is a timeless classic. And Avatar's most recent movie will have just come out.

Again, I love how this always has to be broken down into a theme park ing contest.

Well, you see. When you visit the forums on a website called, WDW Magic, it would be safe to bet that people like WDW.... :)

stitchcastle

Interesting you pick the one park whose icon is a tree to try and make that point. Rafiki says, "Disney Animal Kingdom is NAHTAZU!"

No, sir. Behold the kingdom of beauty and wonder, apart from the beloved animals. I'll bet each of these images is instantly recognizable as Disney's Animal Kingdom:

The-Tree-of-Life.jpg

Yep, a tree carved with ANIMALS all over it.

yeah cause dinosaurs are imaginary ANIMALS right?

kali-river-rapids.jpg

(At dedication, there were no tigers on the Kali River Rapids)

Yeah that's ONE RIDE in Asia, that's devoted to the ANIMALS of Asia.

4_dak_africa_ks_001_b.jpg

harambe.jpg

images

There is plenty of room in Disney's Animal Kingdom for a stunning Avatar land and its imaginary animals and peoples while there will still be plenty of gorillas and tigers and Kilimanjaro Safaris animals for the stitchcastles of the world.

because you know, the last thing we think about when we think of Africa is ANIMALS right?

GLaDOS

Well, you see. When you visit the forums on a website called, WDW Magic, it would be safe to bet that people like WDW.... :)

Which I do! But I also like Universal just as much.

And even if I didn't, I'm also mature enough to realize when a competitor does something spectacular and give them credit.

Crazy Harry

THIS. WOW! Totally unexpected!

At first, when I heard the news I had to look at the calendar and make sure it wasn't April Fool's day or something. I hate to start in on a new project like this and go negative, but I just don't see the fit here. Nor do I see this as a timeless kind of theme. I won't go so far as to say I don't like it or don't see it working, but I am somewhat confused as to how/why this happened. However, on a positive note, it is good to see something happening at AK, I just never would have guessed this. Now, I guess I'll just sit back and watch and wait.

Its funny, I did the same thing. :ROFLOL:

TP2000

I haven't had time to read through this entire thread but what is the source of the $500 million budget and 1 E and two smaller attraction info? Is it speculative based on Carsland?

The $500 Million figure came from the Chicago Tribune article that Al Lutz linked to this morning on the front page of Miceage. That's how I learned of this, and it was the first article I read on the topic.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...ld-avatar-attraction-20110920,0,5799455.story

"Disney said it would begin construction of Animal Kingdom's Avatar land in 2013 and expects to open it to guests about five years from now. A company executive indicated that the price tag would be approximately $500 million."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom