Automated monorail system update

BwanaBob

Original Poster
While this is nothing new, I haven't seen anything reported in a while:

For those of you curious, utility construction has been working non-stop for last several weeks/months laying lines all along beamways.

Just about everywhere around MK, TTC, and Epcot beamways, there is significant burrowing happening. Lots of utility markers all along beamways on ground beneath. Laying necessary infrastructure for what's to come. Id have taken pics of all of it, but it's not as exciting as the MK bus-loop or 7DMT.

More to come.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Past due, but it's progress. Kinda'.
I just can't see how this will benefit anyone but Disney. I mean, dozens of CMs become unnecessary, but MAYBE it'll be safer? I hope, anyways.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of bugs the encounter right away.

PeterAlt

Thanks for the update. By the way, this is what I've been saying all along. The current needs to be updated and rebuilt for automation before it could be expanded. With no updates recently, I've been starting to worry that maybe it wasn't going to happen. Now, I can rest knowing that it will. Because this is going forward, the odds of the system getting expanded once this finishes have increased exponentially!

It's a good day to enjoy a Star Bucks pumpkin latte!

PeterAlt

After 9/11, there were several projects that were sent to the back burner, including the Art of Animation Resort and monorail upgrades to be followed by expansion. As you know, Art of Animation was eventually moved up and built. The monorail projects almost got going but then Gov. Rick Scott pulled funding for the Florida High Speed Rail system, which the WDW monorail was to be extended to a station to link to it. I'm assuming that just the upgrades are being moved foward for now and a re-evaluation of system expansion without the HSR station will be looked into, for construction to begin some time after the upgrades have completed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am going off a several year old memory, but wasn't monorail yellow outfitted with a driverless system for testing?

fngoofy

Past due, but it's progress. Kinda'.
I just can't see how this will benefit anyone but Disney. I mean, dozens of CMs become unnecessary, but MAYBE it'll be safer? I hope, anyways.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of bugs the encounter right away.
They are not making any CMs unnecessary. They will still have a pilot in the cab, the system ensures safety, including proximity, and positioning. As others have said, I am surprised that they haven't done this earlier. When I used to ride the MARTA rail system in Atlanta back in the late 80s, you knew exactly what crack in the pavement to stand at to ensure a door would open right in front of you. No jockeying by the pilot, always the same spot, every time, the first time.

Maccabee18

After 9/11, there were several projects that were sent to the back burner, including the Art of Animation Resort and monorail upgrades to be followed by expansion. As you know, Art of Animation was eventually moved up and built. The monorail projects almost got going but then Gov. Rick Scott pulled funding for the Florida High Speed Rail system, which the WDW monorail was to be extended to a station to link to it. I'm assuming that just the upgrades are being moved foward for now and a re-evaluation of system expansion without the HSR station will be looked into, for construction to begin some time after the upgrades have completed.

Hasn't (OIA) Orlando Airport approved funding to link the (MIA) and (OIA) airports together with expansion to WDW and Port Canaveral with a high speed train type system? I believe I saw that this was being funded to help boost tourism into Orlando, and also provide funding to do the expansion to the Orlando airport as well. I believe the company is All Aboard Florida

NowInc

Hasn't (OIA) Orlando Airport approved funding to link the (MIA) and (OIA) airports together with expansion to WDW and Port Canaveral with a high speed train type system? I believe I saw that this was being funded to help boost tourism into Orlando, and also provide funding to do the expansion to the Orlando airport as well. I believe the company is All Aboard Florida

Its a private venture, so theres a chance it wont happen.

R W B

I just don't get how an automated computer system is safer then a live human. Computers crash all the time, even the best companies have problems once in a while. Also, I would imagine this automated system could be hacked by someone who knows what their doing and cause a whole lot of problems, hope it doesn't happen but just saying it might be possible.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just don't get how an automated computer system is safer then a live human. Computers crash all the time, even the best companies have problems once in a while. Also, I would imagine this automated system could be hacked by someone who knows what their doing and cause a whole lot of problems, hope it doesn't happen but just saying it might be possible.
The one and only fatal crash with the monorail system was due to human error and, in part, overriding the computer safety system.

You are right that computers are only as good as the people operating and programing them, but putting in an "all stop" failsafe solves most problems from a catastrophic crash situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom