AUTOMATED CHECK IN

andrelaplume

Original Poster
Just got my magic bands and an enticing email about bypassing checkin altogether. It seems I can leave my bags at the desk (or in my car if that works out) and I'll get a text when my room is ready and I can just go to it.

Questions:

Is there any chance that I will somehow wait longer for my room using this computerized system as opposed to showing up at the desk. I arrive Sat 8/20 at 2 at OKW.

Will I get a less desirable room location since I wont be there in person to complain...or remind the desk staff off my request for a certain area.

Will I loose any chance for un upgrade? Hey, it used to happen at times!

Any other things to consider?

StarshipDisney

I believe that you are referring to on-line check-in and there are several threads on it. You are also going to get many different opinions on using this but I have personally chosen to stay away from it. It's an option if you want it...nothing more.

Many will argue that it is great while many others will say it is better to check-in with a cast member.

HI There!
Disney online check in is a great option if you want to go to the parks before you go to the hotel. I have loved getting my room number texted to me! There are times when I check in at the desk still for instance I have a toddler and it if I am already at the hotel (I drive) then I'll check in and let them know that we are already there and if we could get our room around nap time I'd appreciate it. Obviously this is not a guaranteed thing but cast members are always so great at trying their best to accommodate guests. Another option for this is to phone the front desk of your hotel when you are on property and just let them know that you are already on property and they will notate your reservation. Hope you have an awesome trip

Tom

Beta Return
It is extremely hit or miss, as far as it working right.

We've used Online Check-In for every trip for the past several years. I'd estimate it has worked as it's supposed to about 50% of the time.

Even if you setup a credit card in MDE for charging privileges, if their SSL encrypted connection was down when your account ported over from Reservations to the Resort system (I believe 24 hours or so before you arrive), the card info won't port over, and you won't know until you're trying to charge something to the card via your MB. If you check in with a human, they go through this step.

The room ready text has been very poor. We travel during less busy times, and I can only think of one trip when we received a room ready text before normal check-in time. Otherwise, we'd get the "Not quite ready" text/e-mail and then nothing until exactly 4:00. Sometimes, we'd never get either message, or just the first one, and we'd have to go to the front desk to beg for our room number.

We've been told by resort staff that putting in a realistic arrival time on MDE, when you do Online Checkin, is important. I guess they use that to sort inbound guests, and TRY to have rooms ready in that order. So, if you won't be there until 5pm, putting in a 9am arrival time has no advantages and just delays another guest from getting a room.

Online Checkin will also ask you if having a room ready is more important than getting your requests. They actually use this information when allocating rooms. So, yes, you can make requests, and check the box that says they're important...but if you get there at 11am and start begging for a room, they're going to remind you that the requests were more important than having a room ready. At that point, you can also change your mind and take what's available (if any).

FigmentPigments

Those are a lot of good questions, and I'm not sure you'll get answers to some of them without talking to a former hotel cast member. But I'll help where I can too.

You very well could have to wait longer to receive a room, but if you can go to the park or to Disney Springs then it's not that big of a deal.
Most of the time my family and I receive a text by the time we step off the airplane. Again, I don't know if that's standard or if we're lucky.

We've had no issues with the automated check in (lucky???), and I've quite enjoyed not having to stand behind 10 or so people while cast members explain where your hotel room is, when extra magic hours are, and if you have a car or not. I've been enough times that I don't need to be walked through this process and would skip it all together. We never drive any more, and there are plenty of pamphlets or apps to tell you when the magic hours are, and the automated texts tell you what building # you are (if applicable), what floor and what room, which is all I need in reality.

Unless we need a room right away, or asked for a specific room/amenity, that is the only time I would feel the need to go to check in. If you have questions or need to make changes, checking in will definitely be necessary.

I consider this a great time saver, and a better start to a vacation than standing in line for the Magical Express only to stand in line again at check in. But again, the system doesn't work for everyone. :rolleyes::)

Ann Elson

We are traveling with family and have 2 studios at the Beach Club Villas, what is anyone's experience with having the rooms close together - side by side - across the hall? Also, we have a specific requests as far as floor and view. Also, do they deliver the luggage tot he room when it is ready or do you have to get it from the fronts desk - it has been awhile and I can't remember. Thanks!

We are traveling with family and have 2 studios at the Beach Club Villas, what is anyone's experience with having the rooms close together - side by side - across the hall? Also, we have a specific requests as far as floor and view. Also, do they deliver the luggage tot he room when it is ready or do you have to get it from the fronts desk - it has been awhile and I can't remember. Thanks!

Hi there. Those are all great questions. If you are taking DME your bags will magically arrive at your room. With the rooms being close together my best advice is to link your reservations through Disney by requesting a travel with number and then also request adjoining or connecting rooms knowing that this is not a Gauruntee. Enjoy your trip beach club is beautiful and their pool is the best on property!

Ann Elson

Hi there. Those are all great questions. If you are taking DME your bags will magically arrive at your room. With the rooms being close together my best advice is to link your reservations through Disney by requesting a travel with number and then also request adjoining or connecting rooms knowing that this is not a Gauruntee. Enjoy your trip beach club is beautiful and their pool is the best on property!

We will have a car, Im not clear on what you mean by "requesting a travel with number". We are all linked on the MDE - I wasn't sure if there were adjoining studios, It does not appear so on the map resorts that I have seen. But I will put it all and in writing to them and follow up! Thanks!

We will have a car, Im not clear on what you mean by "requesting a travel with number". We are all linked on the MDE - I wasn't sure if there were adjoining studios, It does not appear so on the map resorts that I have seen. But I will put it all and in writing to them and follow up! Thanks!
Hi there. You can call Disney customer service and have your reservations linked with a travel with number. If you are driving in then you have a few options. The first is to take your bags right to your room. The next is if your room is not ready you can leave them in your car or with bell services and then take them to your room when it is ready.

bunnyman

On our recent trip we did the online check-in, and our flight got into MCO at about 2pm. On our way over on the Magical Express I received a text message from WDW telling us our room #. We walked right in the door of the hotel and up to our room. Still eventually had to go the front desk as our Magic Band pins didn't work (unfortunately found out at Roaring Forks after buying lunch and 4 mugs).

MagicalMaci

In the Parks
Yes
I've had both experiences with Online Check In - once I wasn't arriving until after midnight, and my room was ready at 10am! I got the text while I was still at work for the day (and of course got right into Disney brain!) I was able to just walk through the lobby (and after getting lost because I didn't ask where it was) head right on into my room! What was nice here is that I got the closest Parking Lot too so there would be no moving around of cars if I had driven. On a separate trip, our credit card on file had expired between online check in and our arrival, so we got the text that our room wasn't ready when we arrived, and then later another text stating we needed to go to the front desk to get our room. We sorted it out and were on our way. I've also had issues with just normal check in with a person, so I don't think the chances are any better/worse with Online Check In.

Just to put it in perspective I had another post-work short weekend trip with an after-midnight arrival and didn't online check in. The Cast Member at the front desk wrote down & told me the WRONG room number. After I lugged my luggage over my Magic Band wouldn't work so I then had to lug it all the way back to the front desk, she reset my MB and I went back AGAIN, still no luck. It wasn't until the 3rd trip that she figured out the mistake and I was sooooo exhausted at this point (it was not a small resort). I'd personally much rather just get the text that my room is ready or I need to go to the desk, easier to handle for me!

Since you are driving, if your room isn't ready and you leave your bags with Bell Services, you will have to either pick them up at the Bell Desk or call from your room and have them delivered and someone will need to be present to accept them.

micknminnie

On our last visit in February I did on line check in. We were maybe less than an hour drive away when I received a text message saying our room was ready and gave us the room number. We were able to get right into our room with our magic bands without going to the front desk. It was great. And while I paid for a standard room we were placed in a preferred building which was fine by us. I hope on our next visit it is just as easy.

trainman_dave

If I do online check in, are my park tickets, dining, etc. activated on my check in day automatically regardless of weather my room is ready? Or will I need to go by the front desk first? We are arriving early and would like to head straight to the parks for rope drop, and go get our room later in the day.

andrelaplume

Original Poster
Fyi...did auto check-in....requested two locations...said I'd be in at 1pm....got text at 1pm to stop at front desk on arrival. Got neither location I requested...no explanation why I had to go to desk...Shud have asked if I could have gotten one of my choices if I waited till 4 to check in. My advise...skip auto check on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom