Autisic Kids @ WDW?

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any tips for bringing an autistic child to WDW? I've heard that Disney has some sort of 'special needs' pass that you can get that will allow you special seating at some shows and attractions.

There's no info about this pass on the WDW website. If anyone has any information on it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Len
testa@ncat.edu

dreamer

You can get a special needs pass at Guest Relations when you enter any of the parks. You should take documentation, but they probably won't ask for it. (You need to have the child there. It usually takes 2 seconds to tell a child is autistic.)

The pass will be good for the length of your stay -- you can take it from park to park. It is good for a max of 6 people, including the disabled person.

We got a pass for our girl with PDD and seizures, which is not as difficult as autism but would prevent us from standing in a long line for several reasons I won't go into. The CM at guest relations was obviously jaded from guests trying to get passes for frivolous reasons to avoid lines. He gave us the pass but made me feel like we would be criminals to use it. I didn't fault him. Lines were short enough that we only used it once in the week we were there -- for Jungle Cruise, which she absolutely loved. (Her favorites were JC, Small World, and Pooh.)

www.wdwig.com has a section on DW with autistic kids.

dreamer

My personal tips:

Plan your schedule around the autistic child.

Don't plan much.

Accept that you won't be able to do some things.

Bring a nanny if you can afford it.

Accept that some people will oblige you and some won't. Don't feel guilty. Waiting less in line with a disabled kid is not a privilege. There's not one person in that line that would trade you.

If your kid likes the characters, do a meal. I was afraid to do Chef Mickey's, but when we discovered how much our girl loves the characters we went for dinner. By the time Mickey came around I think someone had tipped him off that she is "special." He spent a long time interacting with her, catering to her idiosyncrasies. She can't talk but she yelled with glee. It was great. My other 4 kids had so much fun watching her reaction that they barely noticed the characters themselves.

figmentmom

Absolutely, go for it! Kids with disabilities need that Disney magic as much as, or even more than, kids without them! I can't imagine a cast member giving you a hard time about using a special needs pass. As for the people on line, tough. (Perhaps they'd like to walk in your shoes for a day.)

Dreamer, I'm glad to hear your little girl had such a great time at Chef Mickey's!

Maria

Originally posted by dreamer
You can get a special needs pass at Guest Relations when you enter any of the parks. You should take documentation, but they probably won't ask for it. (You need to have the child there. It usually takes 2 seconds to tell a child is autistic.)

The pass will be good for the length of your stay -- you can take it from park to park. It is good for a max of 6 people, including the disabled person.

We got a pass for our girl with PDD and seizures, which is not as difficult as autism but would prevent us from standing in a long line for several reasons I won't go into. The CM at guest relations was obviously jaded from guests trying to get passes for frivolous reasons to avoid lines. He gave us the pass but made me feel like we would be criminals to use it. I didn't fault him. Lines were short enough that we only used it once in the week we were there -- for Jungle Cruise, which she absolutely loved. (Her favorites were JC, Small World, and Pooh.)

www.wdwig.com has a section on DW with autistic kids.

Yes, those passes do exist. Just talk to a Guest Relations Host and explain your situation, and they will know which one to give you.

I can see why the GR host made you feel like a criminal. There are many people abusing those passes to avoid queuing or to stay away from the sun just per se, so for those who cheat, the rest has to pay. Sorry, but that is the truth. When you have one of those passes -that every cast member at the attractions and shows should know and recognize-, once you show it, they will know immediately how to treat you and shouldn´t make too many questions as everything is written on it by the GR Host.

Good luck and have a safe trip! :)

DONATALIE

My husband and I decided to finally take our two children (who both have autism) to WDW last October. Everything went FANTASTIC. My husband tried to bail about a week before the trip and came home eating his words and discussing our next trip.

The young man at guest relations was wonderful. He gave us two different Special Needs Passes. One allowed us to use the FastPass Line (or handicapped accessible entrance). Using the FastPass line was really nice because we didn't get those "Why do they get to go first?" looks from people in line. The other pass allowed us to use our son's stroller as a wheelchair. This allowed us to park the stroller in the handicapped areas for shows and parades. The CM's were really great about these passes (for the most part). We had a few that were a little less than pleased, but it's not their job to pass judgement. My kids struggle through so much in their lives. They deserve to get a break every now and then.

The charachters were also great. We just whispered to them about the kids' condition and they were so terrific. Safari Minnie must have spent at least 4 minutes with my son, letting him touch her nose and ears. We had a birthday breakfast for my daughter's 8th birthday at Chef Mickey's. Minnie actually sat with her and helped her blow out her candles!!

The only trouble we had was when we tried Blizzard Beach. We went on election day and it was packed. There are no accomodations for the handicapped so the lines were brutal. The kids would have enjoyed it, but we only stayed a short time (mostly in the wave pool).

The only other real "tip" that I can offer from our experience would be to "slow down" and "find the joy" of every moment. We made very few actual plans (like dinner reservations, etc.) while we were there. If we were able to see a show or catch a parade, great!! If not, we looked forward to what else the day had to offer. We stayed at Fort Wilderness and the daily ferry boat rides were a huge hit with my kids.

miles1

Wow, you all are making me teary eyed here, seriously. I have two healthy kids and that can be challenge enough. You all sound like very dedicated parents that deserve a round of applause from everyone in these forums.

Len, I assume this is research for the next Unoffical Guide? Great item to include for these folks.

Lokheed

My son Benjamin is autistic as well. We first took him to Disney World two years ago, and the trip was amazing. The cast members overall were very helpful, and Ben absolutely loved it. While we were in the parks his language exploded, and he became much more focused.

We came back a year later, and saw the same results.

This month we moved from Seattle to Orlando so that we could be here full time and use the parks as a huge therapy session. He started school this week here in Orange county and we couldn't be happier with his new teacher. This move has been absolutely amazing.

Absolutely take the advice others have given here, and your family will have a wonderful time on your trip. Trust me, it is well worth the effort.

billybaruch1

Originally posted by miles1
Wow, you all are making me teary eyed here, seriously. I have two healthy kids and that can be challenge enough. You all sound like very dedicated parents that deserve a round of applause from everyone in these forums.

I also weep and applaud.

I don't know anything about it, but I've read about special children interacting with dolphins and really having an experience the rest of us cannot. These are the mammals, not the fish. :lol:

I don't know about WDW, but I have been to a Dolphin Encounter-type place in the Florida Keys. Let me know, and I'd be glad to see if I can get some info for you.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Dean[AU]
Stories like dese are reasons for disney to get its down under!

Nah... it's stories like these that are the reason for you to spend all your money coming over here. :lol:

Melora

I totally feel for people who have disabled kids....

My complaint is about people who use the passes and don't need them.... And this would be my step kids mom.... her son was diagnosed with 2 behaviours in the autistic spectrum when he was 3 and those behaviors (scripting and language delay) were gone by the time he was 4 (he is 8 now). In order to receive services from the school district she had him diagnosed as fully autistic (no way was he even close... I was in the psychiatrists office when the doc confirmed that he was lacking in simple discipline and if he were made to behave he would be fine.. this was one of the top docs at UCLA so she knew what she was talking about) His mom would say things like "He can't transition well... look when I make him get off video games he has a complete melt down" Show me a 4 year old who doesnt... well he would scream and she would give in... thus began the years of her getting him services and therapies despite being told they were unnecessary (my husband was a behaviorial therapist for autistic kids through UCLA for 5 years so he knows a thing or two about this.) His ex said he didn't know what he was talking about and only took him to docs who would authorize therapies. So whenever they go to an amusement park she gets a special needs pass because "you know Kevin can't wait in line". Kevin can't wait because whenever he is with his mom and tantrums he gets his way.. When we have taken him places he has waited with the other kids for as long as 45 minutes to get in someplace and never said a word. It irritates me SOOOOOOOOOOOO much because there are people who must have these passes, who would give anything so their child wouldn't need them and here she is forcing her child into a role of a disabled child just so she can be lax in discipline and use the "my child is autistic" excuse for his bad behavior. Please forgive my rant..... It just makes me sad that someone WANTS their kid to have a problem.

Lokheed

Wow. That's just... wow. Anybody who has spent any amount of time around autistic kids can recognize them in a heartbeat. Even most moderately perceptive adults can pick up on the fact that a kid is autistic pretty quickly without being told. I very rarely have to explain my son's behavior to anyone anymore, because it is leapingly obvious that he is not just misbehaved but in fact has very real communication issues. It boggles my mind that anyone would *pretend* their child is autistic, once they have been exposed to the real thing. Scary.

tigsmom

How sad for him. She is doing him no favor by acting like this. Just imagine what he will be like when she is no longer there to "guide" him. Please continue to be a good influence on him and hopefully as he matures he will notice. :wave:

Melora

Thanks for the supportive replies!

I am always worried when I bring it up people will think I am the one with the problem. His mom has said "I have devoted my life to Kevin..he will probably live with me his whole life." :brick: She has a daughter too (11) who I feel at some point is going to get sick of hearing about her brother. Both kids are extemely spoiled (they get EVERYTING they want) but my step daughter has grown out acting spoiled around us.

It is so sad to me, but I think in the long run Kevin is going to tell his mom to go take a flying leap and stop treating him like an idiot, because he is very bright. His mom also has the school district paying for an aide in his classroom too. ***SIGH***

When I met his dad. I told him if you don't treat Kevin like hes normal and give him high expectations, he will never succeed at anything (this was right when he was 3 and just diagnosed). Kevin would come to our house and his dad would not enforce rules on him, then he would turn around and yell at my 3 year old for doing the same thing.. He would tell me that he didn't think Kevin was capable of the same thing Alex was... I said NO WAY! In this house Kevin is a normal kid. And lo and behold all his "different" behaviors and tantrums dried up to nothing because I wouldn't allow it. He became just a regular kid with us. His mom would say "Well hes just "holding it together" at your house.. when he comes home he can finally be himself" The psychiatrist said to her face "You have got to give him rules and guidelines, his poor behavior cannot be blamed on a diagnoses his whole life.. at some point you have to take responsibilty for his actions". and what does she say? "He was born with so many challenges.... I just want him to be happy, so I have to let him have whatever makes him happy. I don't want him to be have to be frustrated in every aspect of his life besides I am a discipline wus.. I can't change"

To this day my DH thanks me for opening his eyes to how wrong his ex is and that at least Kevin has us in his life.. the only people who believe he is capable. I know he will eventually do fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom