Aulani Advice

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
@StarWarsGirl95 - love to hear about some of the off-site trips you took. Saw your pictures on the "How is Aulani doing?" thread and we are also planning to rent a car to travel around.

StarWarsGirl

Absolutely! First of all, I see that you are only staying a week. I highly recommend if you can make it work at all to stay for at least 10 days, preferably two weeks. If you can't get Aulani for the whole time, look at some of the other local hotels. There's a Marriot next door to Aulani, and you could try over in Waikiki. The Hilton Hawaiian is gorgeous.

Plan on spending a good amount of time by the pool. What time is you flight out on your last day? Plan on spending your last day at the pool. They have showers and bathing suit spinners (place your suit in and it will spin your suit and dry it) at the resort, as well as stations where you can check in online for your flight and print your boarding passes. Depending on what time you arrive, keep your suits within reach.

Do you like snorkeling? The Lagoon at Aulani is great for snorkeling. The currents aren't too bad usually and there's a reef right out there. You can pick up snorkeling masks from an ABC store for about $20 if you don't already own it. If you have never been snorkeling, it's a great place to start as it's easy swimming and the water is nice and clear. Ask a Cast Member at the rental window for a run down. They will give you a run down even if you don't rent from them

I have some top places to do:
1. Pearl Harbor: This was an amazing experience for us. Plan on spending at least half a day there. Arrive early to get tickets for the exhibits and for going out to the Arizona Memorial.
IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

The Bowfin is a neat ship to tour. Here are some pictures:
IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

Hang on, I will continue in another post...

StarWarsGirl

Second, I recommend that you climb Diamond Head. This works really well as a combination day with Pearl Harbor. Spend the morning at Pearl Harbor and spend the afternoon climbing Diamond Head
This is Diamond Head from a nearby beach
IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG
IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2834.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

StarWarsGirl

3. Go see Waikiki. Some people love it. Some, like me, don't. But you still have to experience it. You can park over at the Hilton Hawaiian and walk along the beach. You can also enjoy the shops at Hilton Hawaiian. Seriously, there are more shops there than at Disney. There's a good restaurant at the Hilton called Tropics Bar and Grille. We ate there several times when we stayed at the Hilton in 2012.
IMG_1693.JPG
IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1704.JPG
IMG_1707.JPG
IMG_1709.JPG
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG

StarWarsGirl

You can also explore Honolulu. You can go see the Aloha Tower.
IMG_1986.JPG

The view from the top is very cool.
IMG_1980.JPG
IMG_1981.JPG
IMG_1982.JPG

You can go see the Iolani Palace. It is the only royal residence in the US and is open to the public as a museum.
IMG_2013.JPG

That's a statue of King Komeamea out front. Oh, and if you've ever watched Hawaii Five-0, that's where Five-0 headquarters are supposedly located.
There are also nearby buildings to walk around
IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG
IMG_2019.JPG

StarWarsGirl

Finally, drive around the island. Go explore the local beaches. Do some of the trails. Macupu'u point is really near, as is Hanamua Bay. You have to pay to go down to that beach, but you can view it from up top.
IMG_1739.JPG
IMG_1764.JPG
IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1775.JPG
IMG_1779.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_2336.JPG
IMG_2341.JPG

StarWarsGirl

I would recommend buying a guidebook. Also, I see you are from Manchester. There is a nonstop flight from Washington Dulles to Honolulu on United. It's cheaper than stopping or flying out of BWI. Look into it.

Let's see, food. If you have a one or two bedroom villa, you can cook in a few nights. There's a Safeway not even 10 minutes from the resort. There's very little around the resort restaurant-wise. Both of the restaurants at the resort are very good. Makahiki is a buffet with character dining during breakfast hours. There is also an A la carte menu. 'Ama 'Ama is a little more upscale, but it's very good, especially for breakfast. Off property, there's an Italian place at the Marriott next door is pretty good. There's also a place across the street called Just Tacos. It doesn't look like much, but it's quite good. It's a lot of food and inexpensive. There's also a Cheesecake Factory and a Hard Rock Cafe in Honolulu and an Outback nearby. They've got your typical options as well as some local inspired dishes.

And now for Aulani itself!
IMG_2166.JPG
IMG_2167.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG
IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_2180.JPG
IMG_2182.JPG
IMG_2188.JPG
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2191.JPG

StarWarsGirl

IMG_2163.JPG
IMG_2167.JPG
IMG_2171.JPG
IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2901.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG

At the resort, you have several hot tubs, including two infinity hot tubs. I've already mentioned the beach. There are two water slides, one tube slide and one body slide. There's also a lazy river. Since I've been there, they've added new pools, I think one of them is an infinity pool. You've also got the spa (which my mother quite enjoyed). There's also a neat little show out on the lawn a few evenings during the week. Plan on spending at least 3 days by the pool.

I think that's everything. If you have any questions, just let me know :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you are looking for a guide book I would highly recommend this one:
http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/books-apps/oahu-revealed
Written by locals from Hawaii they cover everything at a personal level you won't get from a more "corporate" guidebook. I used their guides for all 4 islands on various trips after a friend recommended them to me and they are almost never wrong. They will give you directions to places off the beaten path and locals beaches that tour groups never stop at and the most candid restaurant reviews. They even had some funny stories and a bit of the history of areas you would visit.

Also, rent a car. You need a car to get around and explore. Outside of Honolulu the driving is very relaxing and scenic. Near the airport and Waikiki beach area it gets a little congested.

lumpydj

Read a lot of trip reports and figure out what things you like to do. Here's my trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3153140. We did the Pearl Harbor/Punchbowl/Diamond Head day. But we also drove around and explored. We didn't want to do the populated places, but wanted to experience the island and its natural beauty. Another thing you may want to consider is a Luau. There's a couple of them to choose from. I agree with GoofGoof - rent a car! Have a great time. You're going the week we went in 2013.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
If you are looking for a guide book I would highly recommend this one:
http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/books-apps/oahu-revealed

Also, rent a car. You need a car to get around and explore. Outside of Honolulu the driving is very relaxing and scenic. Near the airport and Waikiki beach area it gets a little congested.

First thing we bought was Oahu Revealed. We used Maui Revealed 12 years ago when we visited there and absolutely loved it and the book was pretty much shredded by the end of our visit!

Having a car is a must for us anywhere we go. We do a lot of exploring (drove the entire way around both Maui and the Big Island on our last visit) and plan to do a lot on this coming trip as well.

LondonGopher

Thanks all for starting and contributing to this thread - we are off to Aulani soon! Definitely going to check out those "Revealed" guidebooks - never heard of them before.

Can anyone tell me about the nearby Target? I think I read in a previous thread (?) that there is one across the street? I know Hawaii is spendy - are the prices at Target there significantly higher than Target prices in, say, Florida? I'd like to stock up on a few American things I can't get here in England - but my husband is sure that everything will be crazy expensive..I've just assumed that things will cost what they cost in London :eek:.

Sorry to inject a superficial note but I miss Target so much...I'm a saddo, I know.

StarWarsGirl

Thanks all for starting and contributing to this thread - we are off to Aulani soon! Definitely going to check out those "Revealed" guidebooks - never heard of them before.

Can anyone tell me about the nearby Target? I think I read in a previous thread (?) that there is one across the street? I know Hawaii is spendy - are the prices at Target there significantly higher than Target prices in, say, Florida? I'd like to stock up on a few American things I can't get here in England - but my husband is sure that everything will be crazy expensive..I've just assumed that things will cost what they cost in London :eek:.

Sorry to inject a superficial note but I miss Target so much...I'm a saddo, I know.
Of course it's a few dollars more than back home, but so is everything. It's about average.

If you want to bring home souvenirs (Chocolate-covered macademia nuts, calendars, etc.) they tend to run cheaper at Target than at the ABC stores.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom