Trip Report Aug 24-28, 2014 DVC Member Cruise

Didn't see anyone else reporting this member cruise on here, so I'll post a summary of it. This was our first ever DVC Member Cruise, although we had been on DCL cruises before. We were warned to anticipate bring lots of stuff back, so we were ready with an extra duffel bag inside our luggage.

We arrived at Port Canaveral early since we had one of the earlier boarding times. The check-in area were suitably decorated with Banners and displays of the Member Cruise.
IMG_0225_zps2938384b.jpg

eb73ad73c211f6519d858a70813a502b_zps70af7681.jpg

8920ec78d9cb1846ec8bd9cbbf67fd18_zpse4aebe06.jpg

When our boarding group number was called, we made our way through the walk way towards the ship (well, towards the security and photo-taking area, and then to the ship). There were banners lining the walkway.

66ac342b1d2dd05afd5c4cb92301723b_zpsfd55a2e6.jpg

Once we were on the ship, the first thing we noticed was this ice-sculpture table in the lobby/atrium.

68f92fe0e8ed4e835e64de76ec38eece_zps1fb9cd83.jpg

ea83af64223c625a7da0c8369bf971ff_zps1b8c21bb.jpg

a098cf5945ca0d6751827e4eb6edf244_zps8f31f11e.jpg

.. cont.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
... cont.

After looking around and snapping a few photos, we took the elevator to Deck 11 to get lunch at The Cabanas. This was my very first plate of food on this cruise. Lamb chops, stone crab claws, mahi mahi, vegetables, and whole-grain roll. Not a bad start to the cruise, I would say.
2da79beef02f7cf7387243dfa80bd252_zps977cfd74.jpg

There were selling this tropical drink, served in a commemorative Member Cruise plastic container.
812ca46adb45380fc02da8f5e9db7121_zpseef14a8d.jpg

At around 1:30 pm, we made our way to our stateroom. That was when we found the first gifts of the trip. I'll post photos at the end of this report so that I can group all the goodies together. We got gifts for being returning Silver member of the DCL, and each one of us received gifts as part of being on the Member Cruise. I remember us looking at each other, and we both were wondering that if they keep up with this type of gifts throughout the cruise, we will need a bigger bag!

In any case, after we got our luggage and did a bit of unpacking, we made our way to the top front of the ship on Deck 13 for the sailing. We noticed the DVC logo everywhere on the ship.
e62daf32b45fec2c49951dc2341101b7_zps243baf60.jpg

Princess of the Sea departed ahead of us.
a42762c201e3dfe9597ad880809c241c_zps78366671.jpg

Soon, it was our turn. It was always a fun time waving at all the people lining the waterway.
7fc030301b572cb5ee381c87d4319d8b_zps591b9b4c.jpg

Soon enough, we have the open ocean!
72ab6bee6a660316bd27f95fc7ae10d5_zps63c39b9f.jpg

... cont.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
The first dinner of the cruise was at the Enchanted Garden. Even the menu has been customized for the Members cruise.
b2d1d144f0cda3e361db81d5e13480fa_zps3783d70a.jpg

For entree, I had the seared scallops with couscous. It was delicious, and light enough, since I was still full from my act of gluttony during lunch at the Cabanas that afternoon.
7a38387438ec94521417dc1b52af2e95_zps63092cae.jpg

Still, no matter how stuffed I was, I always had room for desserts.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n320/zapperz/2014%20DVC%20Cruise/72bf860f238ba5c9548f600879f7b3ad_zpsf565b327.jpg[/img

.. cont.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
.. cont.

Later that evening, I walked around a bit around the atrium and took a few photos.
06049b23e29e474af8d763009f644f7c_zps8a6a29a2.jpg

I even went up to Deck 11 and decided to check out the fitness center. I knew that they had one, but on the previous cruises that I've been on The Dream, I never used it because I tend to do my walking on Deck 4 where the promenade is located. But on this cruise, the weather was excruciatingly hot and humid, and I didn't feel like doing that this time. Exercising in the cool comfort of the fitness center sounded very appealing.
637ac529a9a466201e7d9e064876124e_zps5edff9c1.jpg

.. cont.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Before I proceed further, I should also point out that on this cruise, we were using the new DCL Navigator App. It is an iPhone app, and it is only fully operational on the ship. What you do is put your phone in Airplane mode, and then you turn on Wi-fi. This connects to the ship's Wi-fi. If you use it with only the Navigator app, it will incur no cost since you're not really connecting to the internet.

When you open the app for the first time, it will initialize itself and then download the entire cruise's activity. So the app is basically the same set of info that you get with the daily Navigator newsletter that they leave in your stateroom at the end of each day. The app tells you practically all the activities going on throughout the entire cruise. Tapping on the activity gives you details of the activity, when and where, and if there is a fee for it. The app also has other info about the cruise and the ship.

You can add activities you want to be reminded of by adding it to your "Favorites". By tapping on the "heart" that is associated with each activity, you will then be presented by all the available time slots for that activity for the entire cruise (if there is more than one time that activity is offered). Tapping again on the "heart" for a particular time and day will add that activity and that time slot to your favorite.

Then, when that activity is 15 minutes away from starting, your phone will vibrate and will display the activity, time, and location. This was a very handy feature, especially for us since we were doing a lot of things while on the cruise. It also listed the activities going on on Castaway Cay, and the app worked normally there (at least, around the beaches that we tested it).

You have the ability to look ahead at all the days that you will be sailing and picked out activities beyond just the day you are in. So this was very handy for us especially when there were special events that will only be presented once.

This was definitely a useful app. Having all the info conveniently available on your phone at all times was quite handy, I found.

Now, a few cons. The biggest one here is that, other than selecting your favorites, there is no way to personalize this thing. This is not My Disney Experience app. It doesn't know who you are, only that you've selected to save such-and-such activities to that device. That's all. There is no way to know what the others in your party are doing, what they want to do, etc. It would be a nice feature if passengers could sign in, register their guests/family members, and be able to see what activities others in the group are interested in or planning on doing.

The other feature that would be handy is that, after being able to sign in, some form of messaging between members of your own party on the cruise is available. As it is now, the only way to contact another passenger is either via the stateroom phone, or the mobile phones in the room. Since normal text messaging is not available unless everyone pays for it, it would be nice if the app allows for simple in-app text messaging between guests who are within the family/friends circle. This would make the app a LOT more useful.

Another useful feature that I like to see is some sort of a "calendar" display of one's activities. Currently, if you put some activity on your Favorites, the activities for that day are displayed in a list. If you have only a few, this is not a problem, but if you have quite a few (which we had), then it is hard to see which ones are back-to-back, and which ones overlap. Having a display that clearly shows a "timeline" on when all the activities start and end will solve that, although I'm not sure how easy it is to be viewed on a phone screen. Currently, the app has been optimized only for the iPhone, not the iPad, so the display size might be an issue.

Last, but not least, it would be nice to be able to view the same info on the app way ahead in advanced of the cruise and on the web. We will at least know what activities will be available and can start planning on what we want to do. If we can plan 180 days in advanced for dinning at a WDW restaurant, the DCL should be able to display these activities well ahead of a cruise, rather than on the cruise day itself.

All in all, this was a useful app, and I can see a lot of possibilities for it. I am sure they'll improve it upon subsequent testing and feedback.

Zz.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Ooh, I'm so interested in your report on the Member's Cruise! I've never been on one.

Did they do the usual DVC member presentations, since they could potentially have the entire ship show up? LOL

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Ooh, I'm so interested in your report on the Member's Cruise! I've never been on one.

Did they do the usual DVC member presentations, since they could potentially have the entire ship show up? LOL

They had several of these sessions throughout the entire cruise that one can attend to accommodate the huge number of passengers. The random drawing prize for each one of them was an Adventures by Disney trip for a family of 6. Needless to say, we didn't win. Still, everyone who attended the session received a very nice DVC Aulani pin featuring Stitch.

There were also presentations by Adventures by Disney (I won a nice Adventures by Disney travel mug) and also a few meet-and-greet sessions with DVC executives where you can tell them your complaints, suggestions, ask them questions, etc.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
I should back up a bit because this is rather fascinating.

Several of my online friends who were following my live trip report right before and after the cruise were also looking online at the Port Canaveral webcam for the sailing of The Dream for this cruise. Several screen shots were captured, and by golly, in a few of the shots, they got the 4 of us on the top deck! Here we were in several of the shots, and no, they didn't know where we were at that time.

Slide3_zps68a85fef.jpg

Slide2_zpsb379c4f0.jpg

Slide1_zps580ad78b.jpg

I've never seen me sail away on a cruise ship before! :)

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
On our second day of the cruise, we pull into Castaway Cay early in the morning. This was the first of two visits to Castaway Cay.
IMG_1637_zps053bf4c6.jpg

After a very hearty breakfast at The Cabanas, we made our way directly to Serenity Bay. The weather was warm and humid, but the water was greenish blue and lovely.
IMG_1663_zpse77ef090.jpg

IMG_1664_zps56cd24fc.jpg

We stayed there until after lunch. Then we make our way back to the ship. I snapped a few photos on Castaway Cay. Like the ship, there were banners and signs everywhere related to the Member Cruise.
IMG_1698_zpsa8396ed8.jpg

IMG_1693_zpsb5442bf6.jpg

IMG_1660_zps9e307983.jpg

IMG_1673_zpsfb2a2a20.jpg

One last look at The Dream before we board it.
IMG_1710_zps2837558e.jpg

cont...

mrdrift

Great start to the cruise. Pictures are turning out well. Thanks for sharing that tip with regards to phone app, always good to know these things. Following along.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Continuing with the report, after we got back to the ship from the hot and humid Castaway Cay, and after a needed shower and outfit change, I had time to wonder about the Dream a bit and captured a few snapshots, especially now that a lot of the passengers are off the ship.

IMG_1718_zpsd2d81ac8.jpg

IMG_1720_zps11df756d.jpg

IMG_1721_zps17cbda2a.jpg

I also decided to participate in a tour of the ship. This is a similar tour that I took the last time I was on the Dream in 2012, which I had described on that trip report. It covered almost the same thing, but with a few new info and twists.

Here we were in Remy, taking a look around the restaurant.

IMG_1727_zps4c41a63a.jpg

Of course, I had to snap a photo of the "hidden Remy", which I was told is worth around $30,000.

IMG_1725_zps82d8925f.jpg

I took another snap of the John Lessetter wines which are kept in Remy.

IMG_1730_zps44173e0a.jpg

This was our cast member tour guide, Jamezy.

IMG_1734_zps5485ca4e.jpg

It was a fun and informative tour of The Disney Dream. I learned that Remy is the ONLY lead Disney animated character that KNOWINGLY drank alcohol.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
The evening after we departed Castaway Cay was Pirate Night, even though it was only one 2nd evening on The Dream. Our restaurant rotation was the Royal Palace. The servers were all dressed in pirate costumes, as were many of the guests.

IMG_1738_zps33cfa153.jpg

As the night before, we brought up the Pirate Night menu, and this one once again had a "Member Cruise" logo on it.
IMG_1741_zps3c1efbe1.jpg

Here were our appetizers:

IMG_1743_zps694d8c6d.jpg

IMG_1744_zps50380173.jpg

IMG_1745_zpsd519028b.jpg

And here are a couple of the entree. I had the grilled lobster tail, which I thought was overcooked and tough, even though it had good flavor.

IMG_1748_zps61cf17d7.jpg

IMG_1751_zpsbe1f5c82.jpg

And of course, the desserts.

IMG_1752_zpseb80e60c.jpg

IMG_1754_zpscaa24313.jpg

I was definitely stuffed by the end of the dinner.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
The next day, our 3rd day of the cruise, is a day at sea. Despite that, we had plenty of activities. There were always the DVC booth, the Adventures by Disney booth, the Disney Cruise line people, the RCI booth, etc.. etc. And there were scheduled DVC presentations, meet-and-greet with DVC executives, RCI presentations, etc.. etc. The booths all had giveaways (we LOVE giveaways!), and almost all of the presentations that we attended had stuff they were giving out to attendees, in addition to free drinks, snacks, etc., as if we didn't have enough to eat already. I will try to snap photos of these things once I organize all the crap... er ... stuff that I got from the cruise.

IMG_1489_zps96523491.jpg

This was one of the DVC presentations that was done at Evolution, the adult dance club on the ship.
IMG_1779_zps890c7170.jpg

We also attended many activities. We took Donald to the family craft class where we made ceramic tile coasters. Of course, Donald took credit for it.
IMG_1776_zps0c587d68.jpg

We also attended a cooking class on how to make lobster ravioli. The chefs in this class used store-bought wonton skin to make the ravioli, but at the end of the class, we were given some samples, and these were made using fresh pasta. There was also a white wine paring for the ravioli and we were given some to go with the ravioli.
IMG_1801_zps9331aedd.jpg

Throughout the cruise, we participated in several trivia games, all based on various aspects of Disney, and we did not win a single one of them. These are really hard core Disney fans, and there were a few times when we had friendly arguments about the wording of the questions that could have resulted in different answers. Remember that I told you way in the beginning of this trip report that I will be on a ship full of Disney fanatics? Every single one of the trivia games we participated verified this point very clearly! :)

That evening, we had our second dinner at The Royal Palace, but this time, it no longer has the pirate theme.
IMG_1817_zps212327e2.jpg

After dinner, I decided to wonder around the top deck of the Dream and snap a few photos. I've not done much of this on this cruise because the weather was just too oppressively hot and humid, even at night. So this was one of the few times that I actually ventured up on the top deck during the cruise.
IMG_1865_zps072bda47.jpg

IMG_1876_zps445d3cdc.jpg

IMG_1870_zpse64fdb8b.jpg

IMG_1880_zps945711e2.jpg

IMG_1884_zpsac7e6618.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
So you'd think that was the end of the evening that day, but it wasn't.

I went down to Deck 3 and was in the Preludes area in between all of the stores. The place was buzzing. First of all, Donald and Daisy were having their meet-and-greet time.
IMG_1842_zps3b1ae406.jpg

Now, remember them, and where they were, because it would come into play and became one of the most hilarious moments of the entire cruise.

At the same time as the Donald-Daisy meet-and-greet, several Disney legends were there, including Marty Sklar, Tony Baxter, and Alice Davis. There were there as a group to snap a few photos. I sneaked in to snap photos of them among the official photographers. The photos were not well-focused because I couldn't stay still long enough to get a good shot.

IMG_1845_zps8019c90f.jpg

IMG_1848_zps3ecee218.jpg

IMG_1850_zpsa255141c.jpg

Now remember, throughout all this, Donald and Daisy were right behind this group of people, having their own meet-and-greet. It was during this time, while photos of the Disney Legends were being taken, Donald walked over behind this group of people and started to jump up and down trying to get into the picture. Donald was photo-bombing the Disney legends!!!!

I was hysterically laughing so hard, I didn't have time to take out my camera to snap a photo! That would have been precious!

All in all, it was a wonderful day at sea.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
The 4th and last full day of the cruise saw us coming back to Castaway Cay. Early in the morning, I can see the ship approaching the island from the virtual porthole.
IMG_1898_zps0be204c7.jpg

I went up to the top deck to get more snapshot of Castaway Cay.
IMG_1907_zpse2629e12.jpg

But first things first. Before we got off the ship, we had a hearty breakfast in the Cabanas... eggs, steaks, corned beef hash, breakfast potatoes, and croissant. It's the breakfast of champions!
IMG_1902_zpsf2688b85.jpg

It was still a hot and humid morning, and we weren't planning on staying long, just enough to buy a few things and snap a few photos.

People were leaving the ship and making their way to the beaches.
IMG_1915_zps9f2e355b.jpg

Goofy, on the other hand, was already out and about, and doing his power walk.
IMG_1912_zps3f16ae7a.jpg

The DVC Member Cruise banners were still present, but I could tell that a few things were missing and others were not where they were when we first got here. I'm sure there was another Disney ship visiting Castaway Cay yesterday in between our two stops here.

IMG_1932_zpsc12e0c4b.jpg

IMG_1953_zpse423aa77.jpg

We didn't stay too long and got back to the ship around lunch time. This was where we saw the other hilarious situation when we were about to board the ship and went through security. Captain Hook was right in front of us, trying to board The Dream, and he was having a problem in trying to get through the metal detector with his hook! :)
IMG_1983_zps53fc4594.jpg

That, however, didn't delay me much from reaching the Cabanas and having my lunch. Yum!
IMG_1995_zps379dec7b.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Early that evening, we said goodbye to Castaway Cay for the very last time on this cruise.
IMG_2013_zps706c0860.jpg

Our dinner that evening was at Palo. The service was, of course, top notch. What was interesting was that we had the SAME server as the one who took care of us 2 years ago when we had dinner at Palo. She didn't remember us (how could she?), but she was still happy that we remembered her.

The bread service:
IMG_2019_zps22c77bf6.jpg

A couple of us ordered almost the same item we had last time. The first one is the appetizer which was the calamari, which was the most tender calamari that I've ever had.
IMG_2020_zps3d461bd6.jpg

The rest of the appetizers at our table:
IMG_2022_zps1f167bc4.jpg

IMG_2027_zpsb31c533e.jpg

The lobster ravioli
IMG_2021_zpsb157c54b.jpg

My entree was the same one as the one I had on the Dec 2012 cruise. I order the lamb chops which, at that time, I proclaimed as the BEST lamb chops that I've never had. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case here. The lamb chops were still good and tender. However, the flavor wasn't just as spectacular as I remembered it. The crust on the chops was not as flavorful. The portions were also a bit smaller. See for yourself. The first photo is the one I got from this cruise, the second photo is the one I got 2 years ago.
IMG_2026_zps486ddc99.jpg

IMG_7129_zps11d8be34.jpg

I think the one I got 2 years ago even looks more spectacular.

However, the desserts were as good as before. Of course, we all got the chocolate souffle. How could you not?
IMG_2029_zpsc0a2dcd4.jpg

But we also got the pannacotta, which was a dream!
IMG_2031_zps2d6ecfc8.jpg

It was a lovely dinner on the final night of our cruise.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Through the entire cruise, many of us were wondering about whether we will see the effect from Christobal, the tropical storm that formed closed to the Bahamas and about to swerve northwards. Strangely enough, we didn't feel any effects from it. In fact, of all the cruises that I've taken, this was the smoothest cruise ever! I hardly ever felt the ship moving at all!

That changed on the last evening. In fact, early in the evening, the captain warned us about the turbulent water that we will encounter after 10:30 pm that night due to a local storm along the coast of Florida. He wasn't kidding. We all went to bed early that evening since we have to pack and wake up early the next morning. But I remembered waking up in the middle of the night and feeling the ship being rocked in all directions. It was definitely very rough seas. I was glad I was already lying down in bed, because I was certain that I would be having problem had I been up and moving about in this condition.

The shipped pulled into Port Canaveral around 5:30 am. We showered and got dressed, and made it to Animation Palette for our breakfast at 6:45 am. {Yawn!}
IMG_2041_zps6b57df51.jpg

It is during this breakfast that I saw one of the most moving moment of the cruise. I was finishing my breakfast when, at another large table, and there were probably 8 people at that table, were done with their meals and were about to leave for the last time. They were saying goodbyes to their two servers who had been with them all through the cruise. When the mother (or at least, I assumed she was the mother) asked her son (I'm guessing 10 years of age) to say goodbye to the servers, he broke down in tears! He went and hugged one of them and started to sob. The first server felt this and hugged him tight and even kissed him on his head. By the time he hugged the other server, he was already wiping the tears coming down his face.

When the boy finally let go, the family bid the two servers one last goodbye and they all walked out. The mother hugged the boy very closely, and patted him on the head as they walked.

Crap, I almost broke down in tears watching all this.

Certainly, I can understand a level of attachment and fondness of the servers. They are assigned to your dining table throughout your cruise, and depending on their personality, you do get to know them quite a bit. I know that we were very fond of our assistant server who always made us laughed, made excellent wine recommendations, and always seemed to have time to talk to us every single time we were there.

Unfortunately, soon enough after our breakfast, it was time for us to depart. We said goodbyes to our own servers (and gave them generous tips) and made our way to the Atrium. On the way out from the restaurant, they were handing out a set of menus that were used during the Member Cruise, so we got to keep them as mementos.

The atrium was full of people mingling and making their way out.
IMG_2049_zpsd7ca75b7.jpg

Even the captain of the ship, Captain Henry, was there to say goodbye to the passengers. Many were thanking him for the great job he did on the last night when we had very rough seas.
IMG_2055_zpse11b2993.jpg

IMG_2056_zpsc54169aa.jpg

We shook hand with the captain, and thanked him for a safe voyage.

We then walked out into the gangway.
IMG_2057_zps31be266e.jpg

Our 2014 DVC Member Cruise was officially over!! :( {sobbing}

Zz.

mrdrift

Sorry to hear that all good things must come to an end but thank you for sharing this great trip with us. The pictures were very nice and helpful in seeing what you experienced. Glad to hear everything was as expected on the cruise. The waiters are a major part of the cruise experience since you do see them a couple times everyday. Once again thanks for sharing.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Great report, lovely photos.

Last time I ate at Palo, I ordered tiramisu for dessert, because I love me some tiramisu! The server insisted on bringing me a chocolate soufflé as well, because she said it was so good that no one should not get one. I'm embarrassed to admit that I finished both of them. :oops:

ZapperZ

Original Poster
A very big part of this Member cruise is all the goodies that they give us, both in our stateroom on each day, and the stuff they have all over the ship as part of the presentations, games, etc. So in this post, I'll try to show and summarize the stuff that we got (not the stuff that we bought) on this cruise.

This is the bag of goodies that greeted us when we entered the stateroom for the first time. It consisted of a large, insulated bag, a beach mat, a hat, a plastic drinking glass (BPA-free), and a pair of earphones.
7fc5e2653adad9fe06f9efe2aa57b121_zps02ef3fd6.jpg

We also found a very special edition of Disney Files magazine. For those who don't know, Disney Files is a magazine for DVC members, sent once a month. This Disney Files magazine was printed only for the Member Cruise and contained the detail description of some of the major activities and events on this particular Member Cruise, including a detailed story of the NY World's Fair, which was a panel presentation that included Marty Sklar and Alice Davis that we attended.
IMG_2298_zps3fb63fe6.jpg

On the second day of the cruise, we found this in our stateroom.
IMG_2290_zpsbd743930.jpg

Upon opening the box, we found a blank DVC journal book.
IMG_2293_zps34d1d35f.jpg

On the third day of the cruise, this is what we found in the room. It is a metal sign.
IMG_2296_zpse257f5a6.jpg

On the fourth day of the cruise, we found this DVC Scrabble game.
IMG_2300_zps8a082a5d.jpg

Later that day, since this was our last full day of the cruise, when we got back to our room after dinner, we found a thank you envelope.
IMG_2311_zps5fc3d01a.jpg

Inside the envelope, we found a card with a very nice Member Cruise pin!
IMG_2316_zps8dcc9183.jpg

I've zoomed both parts of the card so that you can read what it says.
IMG_2320_zps229abd63.jpg

IMG_2319_zpsad7b6b80.jpg

Note that all the gifts above (other than the DCL returning silver member gifts) all came in set of twos. So we both got one of each.

cont....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom