Attractions that used to be popular but now aren't?

BiffyClyro

Original Poster
Hello!!! Just wondered what attractions you noticed have not been popular that used to be really popular, eg. Figment (i know it changed, but still).

What got me thinking of this was the Carousel Of Progress. I wondered if that had ever been popular? I know it was on of Walt's favourites so i wondered if there was a time when it was ever really busy.

WED99

There was a time when it was really busy. At the 1964 New York World's Fair ;)

I'm sure there were times it was busy at MK though. Wouldn't this apply to every ride however? Any new attraction pulls decent crowds in its first week (at least).

BiffyClyro

Original Poster
There was a time when it was really busy. At the 1964 New York World's Fair ;)

I'm sure there were times it was busy at MK though. Wouldn't this apply to every ride however? Any new attraction pulls decent crowds in its first week (at least).
I suppose, but you can look at Peter pan and small world... They always get huge crowds!

It was more of a "What do you think Disney is reluctant to get rid of" question i guess :p

rsoxguy

I don't go to DAK very often, but I remember that years ago there was a line for the safari that stretched to the walkway area before the queue. The wait has been no more than 15 minutes on my last several visits. Perhaps I'm just fortunate.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Dinosaur used to have long lines, now whenever I go it's almost a walk on. can't figure out why, we enjoy it.

I agree 100% with this. I can remember waiting almost one hour to get on the first time. Still think it is a great ride with lots of things you have to look close to see.

Zweiland

Journey into Imagination. Of course, that was the original incarnation...:( Now, there's barely ever any wait, and for good reason.

EDIT: Whoops just realized this was in the OP as well

PolynesianPrincess

Mission Space ALWAYS used to have long lines. While it still pulls long wait times, now you can see the lines at 10-15 minutes sometimes. It never used to be that short before.

Also, as others have stated, Dinosaur. Also there have been times I've seen Everest with a 10 minute wait at 1pm. This isn't during the slow season either, this is in early May which pulls decent crowds.

BiffyClyro

Original Poster
Mission Space ALWAYS used to have long lines. While it still pulls long wait times, now you can see the lines at 10-15 minutes sometimes. It never used to be that short before.

Also, as others have stated, Dinosaur. Also there have been times I've seen Everest with a 10 minute wait at 1pm. This isn't during the slow season either, this is in early May which pulls decent crowds.

That's interesting. Last time i went in summer 2011, but Mission space and Everest always had really long wait times. If you go on it at certain times there would be a 10 minute wait, but mostly, they were always long... Not complaining though :D

Random but...I think Mission space is rubbish... Unpopular opinion?

PolynesianPrincess

That's interesting. Last time i went in summer 2011, but Mission space and Everest always had really long wait times. If you go on it at certain times there would be a 10 minute wait, but mostly, they were always long... Not complaining though :D

Random but...I think Mission space is rubbish... Unpopular opinion?

2 weeks ago we went to AK on a Thursday and at 1pm Everest was at 15 minutes. I'm not complaining either lol you would think one the top 2 attractions at AK would ALWAYS have long wait times, like Soarin!

And I also do not care for M:S. It makes me queasy lol

Glasgow

Interesting that people have brought up Dinosaur and Mission:Space. They are more or less thrill rides, which will generally wane in popularity due to two separate reasons. One, not everyone can ride so families will generally steer clear. The parents will sneak in a ride or two but after that its back to the family rides - at least that's what we do ;) Two, general intensity limits riders as well. These attractions can be polarizing, splitting people into two camps, either fans or haters. Personally, I like when Disney decides to build these off the wall rides every once in a while because it shows they are still trying to push the envelope a bit. Sure, the family style float-throughs are wonderfully detailed and engaging, but throwing in a curve ball everyone once in a while is appreciated, even if it's not for everyone.

tsaintc

I would say Maelstrom. I remember a time when I would see hour long waits. Now I dont think I've seen anything over 15 to 20 min wait times.

Check out the wait times during Christmas week... Consistently above 60 mins with a line out the pavilion.

Goofyernmost

I would say Maelstrom. I remember a time when I would see hour long waits. Now I dont think I've seen anything over 15 to 20 min wait times.
Almost all of them had ups and downs. Maelstrom when it first opened was a long line. Then a walk on for quite a few years. Then they were using Fastpass for it.o_O Now it's back to a walk on. It depends on the mood of people would be my guess.

I've been going to Disney since 2005 and i've never seen any lines for it! I'm glad it's still there because it was one of Walt's favourites though.
Since 2005 for a ride as old as Carousel (1964) is not an indication. It has seen many cycles. It was popular at the Worlds Fair. It was popular when it first moved to Disneyland. The popularity declined at DL and was closed there and moved to WDW where it was always a wait in the early years, then lost it's appeal in the 90's to the point that it was closed more then it was open (listed as seasonal). When they closed Alien Encounter they reopened Carousel just to have someplace for people to go to in Tomorrowland. It has stayed, sort of medium sense then, but I noticed that the popularity increase in recent years. It is tough to tell by looking at it because of the number of theaters. A large crowd can be taken in every 5 minutes, so you don't really ever see an accumulation of hundreds at it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom