Attractions Needing Refurbishment: Thoughts?

PortOrleans

Original Poster
Attraction refurbishments are frequent throughout each of Disney's Parks and Resorts. However, certain attractions might need one more than others.

Here's an attraction within Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort; Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin©.
buzz-lightyear-space-ranger-spin-gallery07.jpg

For those experiencing issues viewing this image, here's a shortened URL for the image above; http://ow.ly/Dou630eis2E.

What other attractions need a refurbishment throughout Disney Parks and Resorts?

oliviosis

Honestly, I can't believe how gross the monorail was when we were there in Dec. I know it's not an attraction but I can't help myself. I've said it once and I'll say it again, a good cleaning would do wonders! I'm tempted to bring a Magic Eraser on board and go to town. I'd feel such a sense of accomplishment with one swipe!

PortOrleans

Original Poster
Little mermaid in DHS,

Voyage of the Little Mermaid had an odor as of our last visit. It seems that carpeting, plush seating and sweat combine poorly. Again, not sure whether or not this scent was meant to be within the attraction. It added to that 'underwater' feeling though. ;)

crxbrett

Honestly, I can't believe how gross the monorail was when we were there in Dec. I know it's not an attraction but I can't help myself. I've said it once and I'll say it again, a good cleaning would do wonders! I'm tempted to bring a Magic Eraser on board and go to town. I'd feel such a sense of accomplishment with one swipe!

Aren't they in the process of redoing them all? I thought Monorail Orange got a refresh and is nice again? Not sure which Monorail is next but they need to hurry up the process. It will take 6 or 7 years at the rate they are refreshing them.

Surfin' Tuna

Magic Erasers are on the list of prohibited items in all of WDW; they worry you might leave a clean mark.

retroeric

Was at Tokyo Disney last month and am so jealous of their monorail. Not only is it gorgeous, but you can eat off the floor it's so clean.

Surfin' Tuna

As we know a huge portion of this is Disney being cheap (imagine that), but there are also some differences between the Americans of today and the Japanese of today. I was at MK on Wednesday night, and it was dirtier than I have ever seen it. People eating and leaving their cups, wrappers, and napkins outside Sunshine Pavilion. There were also several water and sprite bottles inside CoP. Disney needs to up their game to half of what it was in the 90s, but we also need to police ourselves a bit. In Japan I noticed a lack of trashcans on public streets and people willingly taking their trash home with him. They still seem to have a sense of pride, whereas we feel someone should clean up behind us.

This does not excuse the mold build up or the otherwise dingy appearance of most of MK, but it was an eye opener for me last night as I walked through the park.

Amidala

I think most of the classic Fantasyland rides are in need of some major refurb, but Peter Pan comes to mind. For an attraction that draws 70-minute standby lines, it has not aged well. A refurb along the lines of what DL's Peter Pan received would go a long way, but TBH I wouldn't object to a Shanghai-esque revamp either.

retroeric

In Japan I noticed a lack of trashcans on public streets and people willingly taking their trash home with him. They still seem to have a sense of pride, whereas we feel someone should clean up behind us.

Most of Japan got rid of all public trash cans after the 1995 sarin gas attack. All they have now are the ones with the small holes in them, but those are scattered around and there aren't many. You sort of have to get lucky to find one.

John park hopper

As we know a huge portion of this is Disney being cheap (imagine that), but there are also some differences between the Americans of today and the Japanese of today. I was at MK on Wednesday night, and it was dirtier than I have ever seen it. People eating and leaving their cups, wrappers, and napkins outside Sunshine Pavilion. There were also several water and sprite bottles inside CoP. Disney needs to up their game to half of what it was in the 90s, but we also need to police ourselves a bit. In Japan I noticed a lack of trashcans on public streets and people willingly taking their trash home with him. They still seem to have a sense of pride, whereas we feel someone should clean up behind us.

This does not excuse the mold build up or the otherwise dingy appearance of most of MK, but it was an eye opener for me last night as I walked through the park.

Just look at the road ways and water ways all across America, trash everywhere. Unfortunately many feel this country is their open trash can and they can dump their garbage where ever and when ever they want. Why should WDW be exempt from these slobs: I wish it were different and these slobs would disappear but that will never happen. I really have no tolerance for people like this. Disney should have undercover CM who when they observe such behavior tell them to pick up their trash or leave the park. Unfrounately living in the humid south fighting mold is an ever present problem-- I have to pressure wash my house every 3 months or so but yes Disney could do a better job

Bryan76

Was at MK last month and noticed this as well. Saw a few people just chucking their trash wherever. I don't remember seeing that last time I was there. There are trash cans....I mean is it that ridiculous to have to walk 20 feet to one?

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Just look at the road ways and water ways all across America, trash everywhere. Unfortunately many feel this country is their open trash can and they can dump their garbage where ever and when ever they want. Why should WDW be exempt from these slobs: I wish it were different and these slobs would disappear but that will never happen. I really have no tolerance for people like this. Disney should have undercover CM who when they observe such behavior tell them to pick up their trash or leave the park. Unfrounately living in the humid south fighting mold is an ever present problem-- I have to pressure wash my house every 3 months or so but yes Disney could do a better job
I'm not advocating littering, but I always thought all CMs were supposed to pick up any trash they see no matter where it is. Maybe not bathrooms, but anywhere else.

Amidala

I'm not advocating littering, but I always thought all CMs were supposed to pick up any trash they see no matter where it is. Maybe not bathrooms, but anywhere else.

They are, but non-janitorial CMs can only do so much. When I was working Merch, I would pick up trash if it was in my current work area, but I wasn't actively seeking out garbage b/c that would have prevented me from performing my actual role. It's also probably a much looser rule for PhotoPass CMs and character attendants (to name a few) who might travel through multiple areas in a single day, and definitely wouldn't have the time to pick up all the trash they see on the ground.

It really does seem like the attitude of the guests IMO (and possibly of Americans at large?) that it's the "job" of CMs to pick up after them. And TBH, I think a lot of the general "dinginess" of MK and other WDW parks is partly a result of this. CMs won't have time to give dirt and mold buildup and other more "serious" cleanups the attention they need when they're spending 99% of their time sweeping up bottles, cups, food, etc. that guests couldn't be bothered to pick up. Maybe that's why TDR is in much better shape?

MerlinTheGoat

Agreed with Buzz Lightyear. Most of the surfaces are caked with mold from a prior roof leak, the mold glows in the dark from the black lighting.

Expedition Everest. Besides the elephant in the room (or ape), there are a number of fog effects that were removed since opening. Granted they were intentionally switched off due to tripping sensors, but they could find alternative chemicals that could be substituted. The entire mountain by this point also needs a repaint. And the backwards tunnel has tons of light leaks that reveal the inner structure, so either patch those or actually enclose the track with rockwork.

Big Thunder's track is also in serious need of replacement, it has been horribly bumpy for ages and continues to get worse. Third lift effects needed as well.

Space Mountain same problems as Big Thunder, though even worse.

The entire monorail fleet needs to have their interiors refurbished (and most of the exteriors except for a couple). They are dirty, falling apart and often smell very bad. Varying degrees, but they all need it badly.

Living With the Land. The ride isn't in the worst condition, and the greenhouse is always well kept up. But the interior scenes could use cleaning and repainting in places, some of the animatronics are moving feebly or stationary.

American Adventure. Most of the show, and especially the animatronics are actually kept in quite good condition. But the projections are very fuzzy and jittery. Either replace the films or update to digital. The video played alongside Golden Dream also needs some editing (just some of the people or events shown).

It has been a while since I rode Jungle Cruise, but there have been reports recently of issues. The rhino was apparently removed. And the most recent times I rode, the dancing natives were not moving.

Peter Pan's Flight. Either clean and paint it thoroughly, or give it a proper overhaul to bring it up to the standards of the other versions.

FoxTheNerd

Attraction refurbishments are frequent throughout each of Disney's Parks and Resorts. However, certain attractions might need one more than others.

Here's an attraction within Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort; Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin©.
buzz-lightyear-space-ranger-spin-gallery07.jpg

For those experiencing issues viewing this image, here's a shortened URL for the image above; http://ow.ly/Dou630eis2E.

What other attractions need a refurbishment throughout Disney Parks and Resorts?

I rode Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin myself, but I don't see what part of it needs refurbishment. The animatronics are a goodin quality, and the ride looks visually appealing... What's wrong with it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom