Attraction-inspired art

Madison

Original Poster
I work a lot as a designer of mechanical components and use parametric CAD modeling software for almost all of my work. There're a few different platforms that are popular and so I've been spending time throughout the fall teaching myself to better use some software that I didn't have a lot of exposure to.

SketchUp is quickly gaining popularity as a tool for mocking up ideas quickly for demonstration and exposition. I hate its interface, as it's completely counterintuitive to my workflow, but I've gotten better at using it.

Anyway, that said, here are some models I made with SketchUp. None are complete and all are based on partial ideas for attractions or setpieces within attractions, parks, or resorts. I'll add to this thread as time permits.

"Castle"

I considered that a good way to learn to use the software would be to begin with the most challenging design I could conceive. This castle is nowhere near complete, clearly. I envision it as occupying an island, surrounded by crumbling defense walls, fallen towers and a larger main structure. Closer inspection and exploration of the island reveals that the castle was something more than a decrepit fortress; an amalgamation of mad scientists laboratory and wizard's lair. A smaller setpiece on the island would be a windmill.

"Hot Wheels Raceway"

I've just begun working on this model, so it lacks detail. The idea here is pretty straightforward -- a fun, family-friendly ride that allows guests to climb aboard Hot Wheels cars and race around a track playset. The sphere is a giant, 90' diameter globe and the boxes are a showbuilding dressed to look as though they're board game boxes. There're obviously some possibilities for a Toy Story tie-in here to create the story, but like I said, I'm bad at telling stories.

Steve-B

Cool

I like them (so far). Is there more to the castle?
Sorry I can't offer any helpful ideas - I'm supposed to be working. :animwink:

terp79

well done. . .

Madison,
First of all are you combining both programs? I love the look of these concept designs. I like the hard edged look juxtaposed against the sketch-like pencil marks. I would love to know all the program(s) you're using and how long you've been using them and if you recommend them. Also how long does it take to get comfortable with them. I would also like to add I love the idea of a Hot Wheels attraction. I like when people take the principles of WDI and apply them to other things. I'm currenlty thinking about desiging something non-disney realted in disney fashion. I know when I had my 2 interviews with WDI they said to try to design things not only based souly on Disney properity. I've been toying around with this notion and trying to come up with something here. I have a few ideas but I'm not posting them. I may use them for my graduate dissertation. Anyway I want to see more and pick your brain if you don't mind. In the mean time all i can say is: Thank You!!!!!

Madison

Original Poster
Madison,
First of all are you combining both programs? I love the look of these concept designs. I like the hard edged look juxtaposed against the sketch-like pencil marks. I would love to know all the program(s) you're using and how long you've been using them and if you recommend them. Also how long does it take to get comfortable with them. I would also like to add I love the idea of a Hot Wheels attraction. I like when people take the principles of WDI and apply them to other things. I'm currenlty thinking about desiging something non-disney realted in disney fashion. I know when I had my 2 interviews with WDI they said to try to design things not only based souly on Disney properity. I've been toying around with this notion and trying to come up with something here. I have a few ideas but I'm not posting them. I may use them for my graduate dissertation. Anyway I want to see more and pick your brain if you don't mind. In the mean time all i can say is: Thank You!!!!!

These models were all made in SketchUp. It offers a few different display options that allow you to make things appear as if they were hand-drawn. There are plug-ins available as well that offer more realistic rendering options that I don't have available to me. I've had SketchUp for about two months now and it's become a bit easier to use now that I understand its idiosyncracies. That said, I don't use it frequently -- I've got about 40 hours into it across all models.

For work that requires more precision than SketchUp allows, I use Solidworks most often. I also sometimes use Inventor or Pro/Engineer, but I am not as comfortable with those as with Solidworks.

Dr.Seeker

Pictures are looking very good. Ive used SketchUp (albeit a demo version) and it does its job, but its fairly limited in what it can do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom