At DL right now, just been profiled by security

ljs1691

Original Poster
I have been here on these boards for many years and while I am not a regular poster, I feel I know the Disney system pretty well. I realize this may sound completely crazy but I am certain Disney security is profiling plus size white women. I have been pulled aside twice now in less than 36 hours for additional screening and I have seen an abnormally high rate of other plus size women get it too. I mean I don't think I look like a terrorist. I am coming through with my two kids, age 9 and 6 and my husband. The first time I am totally calm and understanding, explaining to my children why mommy is being singled out and that they are protecting us. The second time, it is with a hot bag of food from
Downtown Disney trying to get back to the bus stop at the end of the night. I lost my mind, I beeped going through the metal detector, now I'm even more angry that I am being harassed. I take off my jacket and the man (security) who is twice my size standing there says to the guy beside him that I tried to hit him. Is this guy for real?

I am not happy that I am being chosen by a group of men to be re-screened. I feel singled out, harassed, embarrassed, among other things. They might as well have been cat calling at me. At this point, I never want to go back to a Disney Park as long as I live.

How or what can I do to make sure other women NEVER have to endure this feeling?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Are they still doing outside security or has Disney staff taken over? Also a women should be doing any secondary screening if you go off in the metal detector. Please contact Disney and let them know.

ljs1691

Original Poster
I would contact Guest Services as soon as possible. Give them a call and make a complaint. Send an email as well.

Would you do this at the park? We have one more day and even though I don't want to go I refuse to let this completely ruin our vacation. My kids would be devastating if we don't go on our last day.

I am not normally an over reactor so I appreciate your suggestions on how to address this. Will send an email ASAP.

Californian Elitist

Would you do this at the park? We have one more day and even though I don't want to go I refuse to let this completely ruin our vacation. My kids would be devastating if we don't go on our last day.

I am not normally an over reactor so I appreciate your suggestions on how to address this. Will send an email ASAP.

If I were insulted, I definitely would go. You can save it for the end of your visit. That way your family can still have fun for the day.

ljs1691

Original Poster
People need to lighten up.... Imagine if they knew what cms said about them.

The snowflakes just can't be handled at all

I couldn't care less what someone says about me. I am more concerned with the message this is sending to my children, especially my daughter. Harassment is never ok.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm not trying to dismiss your experience or place blame here, but security screenings aren't solely for the purpose of preventing terrorism. Also, nothing you've described sounds like harassment to me. If you are being mistreated by Disney employees why are you posting it here from the park instead of finding the appropriate channels to alert management?

R W B

I understand you may not like having to be screened again but it's not harassment by any means. I've been pulled aside at the airport twice before and im just an avg white guy, no profiling going on there. If they are frisking you then yes, a women needs to be doing that but if it's just with a wonde, what's the big deal? As far as your kids go, chalk this up as a life lesson because althought many people don't like it (including myself) this is the way the world is heading so they might as well get use to metal detectors and also the fact that just because you get singled out doesn't mean you're a bad guy/girl. Now I also know everyone is different so if you feel like security went too far then absolutely, an email to guest relations is the best thing to do.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I don't think being picked to be screen twice is harassment but "I take off my jacket and the man (security) who is twice my size standing there says to the guy beside him that I tried to hit him." and " I am not happy that I am being chosen by a group of men to be re-screened. I feel singled out, harassed, embarrassed, among other things. They might as well have been cat calling at me."

They really should have at least one female present so women don't feel intimidated. A group of men asking women to undress can make people uncomfortable.

Mouse Trap

I have red hair, my friend has red hair. We were picked out to go through the additional screening EVERY TIME during a week long trip. My non-ginger girlfriend? Asked only two or three times. They must be profiling gingers too.

C'mon, its bad luck plain and simple. No one profiled you. They are there for your security and stating you don't "look like a terrorist" is suggesting there are people who "look like terrorists" and you are essentially promoting the need to profile in your comments.

Being singled out twice is no big deal at all. While I don't know the details of what happened, your post certainly does not indicate you were purposely harassed. Go enjoy your vacation.

Last edited:

TP2000

I read your post twice @ljs1691 and I don't read anything that could be labeled as "harassment". It might have been a personal inconvenience for you, but inconvenience is not harassment.

If you don't like the security contractors that Disney hired (they aren't CM's, and they aren't employed directly by Disney) and overall concept they've instituted after the most recent Muslim terrorist attack, then that's one thing. .

I wouldn't even bother with talking to the 12 dollar an hour hostess in the plaid vest at Guest Relations about your concern, because what can she do about it? Send an email that can be logged formally and responded to.

But what you have described is not "harassment". It's just inconvenience. When you really get harassed, you'll know it. Being screened for an extra 60 seconds at Disneyland isn't it.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sorry but I agree with some of the other posters it doesn't sound like you are being harassed at all. Did they say something offensive to you? Did they touch you inappropriately? I got picked to go through the metal detectors as did my husband and for the 30 seconds we were with the screener they were professional and friendly. It was a slight inconvenience but if it might keep me safer that is fine with me. If you beeped while going through the detector, did you have something in your pockets or something metal? I hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

Tony the Tigger

Give me a break. I am a skinny(ish) white guy who was walking into Epcot with my husband, and they picked me for extra screening and not him.

Was I profiled? Harassed? Stop it. It was nothing. I was nice to the security people, they were nice to me. I joked that it was my first ride. And then I joked with my husband that they picked me because I have a short beard - this was the week they were saying Paul Ryan had a "Muslim beard" LOL.

Get a sense of humor. Get over yourself. Don't dare deny your children a day at Disney World because you're making silliness of yourself. If you don't overreact, they won't overreact.

Phroobar

I think the security guys might have a little bit of a PR problem. Maybe they should hand out buttons with Mickey getting searched by Pete with the words "I had a magical screening at Disneyland!" You will have AP holders lined up to be screened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom