Are your expectations too high when dining at certain WDW restaurants?

klineski96

Original Poster
I have read these message boards for some time and it seems to me that alot of people have lofty and often times unrealistic expectations when dining at certain places at WDW.

Now please don't get me wrong, there is no excuse for lousy service, and there are more than enough places on property that are consistantly excellent or very good in terms of food and service. Le Cellier, Victoria and Alberts, Artist Point, Narcoossee's, Flying Fish, Jiko, Bistro De Paris just to name a few all immediately come to mind.

But I scratch my head sometimes when I read people's complaints about the food at places like Tony Town Square, San Angel Inn, Sci-Fi Dine In, Mama Melrose, Yak and Yeti, Maya Grill, Boatwrights. Do they forget that they are at a theme park? Or simply at a hotel? Why would anyone walk into Tony's or Mama Melrose and expect authentic gourmet italian food? (It's a theme park! Not a 5 star italian place.) Why would anyone walk into Sci Fi Dine In and expect to have an excellent steak? (You are sitting in a car for cryin out loud, you're not at a fancy steakhouse!)

My wife and I have been annual pass holders for years, so we've eaten at alot of different places on property. We've always walked into those restaurants with realistic expectations and we've never left upset over the food. We've always just adjusted our expectations accordingly.

When we eat at Le Cellier, Cali Grill and Jiko, we expect a solid meal. But when we eat at counter service places or the moderate table service places, we make sure to look around and remember that we aren't at an authentic gourmet chinese bistro, instead simply Nine Dragons which is inside of a theme park. We never walk into the Pepper Market and say it's time for a authentic freshly prepared burrito or pizza... it's a hotel food court, nothing more.

Again, there is no excuse for poor service, but WDW food has never been terrible to us considering it's nothing more than theme park or hotel food. As I stated above, there are obviously those exception restaurants.

Are your expectations too high? Are mine too low? :shrug:

Does the fact that food at WDW costs more naturally mean that people will expect to get more (better food)? Because when I go to Orlando Magic games and pay $8 for a pre-made six inch Subway sub, I don't think to myself and get angry that I should be getting a footlong with extra meat and melted cheese instead... and then complain about how bad Amway Arena food is.

It's all about having a realistic expectation. Right?

Thoughts?

WDWmazprty

To me the Disney restaurants are just restaurants. I know that most of them are not 5 star places or anything like that. So, I don't expect my experience to be 'perfect' or anything. I look forward to just having a good meal and being there more for the experience. If something happens to go wrong, whatever it may be, i deal with it as best as possible.

Mukta

Are your expectations too high? Are mine too low? :shrug:
It's all about having a realistic expectation. Right?
Thoughts?
I feel that I have realistic expectations as well. I am thrilled with most of the meals and service I receive.
I have had a bad meal at Tony's before. The food simply tasted bad. I don't complain about it, but I don't eat there anymore. No big deal, there are lots of choices.
I do keep in mind that it is theme park food. I think in that sense Disney table service meals are excellent. I know that they are overpriced and I wouldn't eat there without free dining.

njDizFan

I feel I know what to expect when I enter a restaurant at WDW. If it's quick service expect fast food style fair, sometimes it is better than that. buffets even thought they can be up to 30/person you know you are going to get a carving station and a host of carbs and a few veggies. As far as regular table service. These vary quite a bit. You are correct, don't expect little Italy when you go to Tony's and generally it is as expected, Olive Garden type food. Same with the others more or less chain resturant quality food.

The one exception is signature dining. You expect the best possible food and service. Generally my experiences at these restaurants(Jiko, Narcosee's etc.) has been as expected or better.

The one time I was dissapointed was CRT. It cost almost $300 for my family of 5. The food just was not very good, not unedible but not very good either. Sure it's more about the experience and the pics and the show but anyway that was the one time I was a little let down.

BrerPete

I wouldn't expect authentic Italian food at Tony's or anything extremely exceptional at Sci-Fi since I am sitting in a car. However, these restaurants are charging more than a regular restaurant. I expect a certain things from Friday's or Applebees when I'm spending about $30 for lunch. I'm expecting a little more at a Tony's or Sci-Fi and a Rainforest Cafe when I'm dropping close to $50 for lunch.

harveyt0206

I have been very fortunate with the meals I have had at Disney. California Grill is to this day one of the all time best meals I have had ANYWHERE. I understand that that is a signature meal, so I do expect more there, but I have also enjoyed many counter service meals. We use to love the Tusker House at AK before it was changed to a character dining experience. We also enjoy Cosmic Rays. Is it the best hamburger we have ever had? No. But it does exactly what we want it to do during a busy day at the park. I do try to keep my expectations in check, which is sometimes hard to do when I am at Disney.

Computer Magic

I expect to get my money worth whether if its a QS, TS or Signature. . I work hard for may money so I expect good service, good food, and fair pricing. To except anything less, allows Disney to be mediocre.

foreverbelle

I don't know. I mean in some ways, well everyone raves about LeCellier and how wonderful it is. But I almost afraid to get my expectations high. I am so afraid that I will be disappointed. Am I expecting it to be good? Yes, but other than that? I will just have to wait and see.

DDuckFan130

I expect to get my money worth whether if its a QS, TS or Signature. . I work hard for may money so I expect good service, good food, and fair pricing. To except anything less, allows Disney to be mediocre.
:lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

Won't get into your spelling, and will just call you a snob :lookaroun

:kiss:

I've never had a bad meal at WDW, and if I had something that wasn't tasty, it's my fault for ordering it :lol:

Computer Magic

I will add Disney likes to address themselves as a Resort which is more then a just a theme park. So with that label, should come quality food and drinks.

Computer Magic

:lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

Won't get into your spelling, and will just call you a snob :lookaroun

:kiss:

I've never had a bad meal at WDW, and if I had something that wasn't tasty, it's my fault for ordering it :lol:
Well I won't talk about your drinking around the world and we can call it even :lookaroun:p

RatherBinDisney

I'll throw my two cents in here...........

I work in the hospitality industry so when I goto Disney all restaurants not including resort restaurants to me are theme park restaurants. However when I goto California Grill (my favorite restaurant hands down) I expect the best. Service, food, atmosphere, etc. Resort restaurants in the CA Grill league should have it all. Of course I have the opportunity to dine there once every other year so my expectations are very high!

Phonedave

I expect a certain level of quality from WDW restaruants.

I do not expect innovative food from a place like Tony's, but then for the price it is and how it is billed, I also do not expect industrial food.

Here is an example. Lets talk tomato sauce. There are three ways of making sauce.

From scratch, with fresh tomatoes and other ingredients.

From scratch, but using items such as canned tomatoes (they do make very good canned tomatoes)

From a 5 lb can of ready made sauce.

I expect Tony's to be squarely in the second category. It's not fine dining, but it is also not a chain restaruant, It should be making things from individual ingredients.

However, and this may not be the case, it sure as heck tastes like it comes from a can.

-dave

GoochDSA

You have to take everything you read here with a grain of salt. There are so many variables that can cause opinions that you shouldn't judge what you do or where you go based on these boards. If people have high expectations for certain places it is probably because they have had phenomenal experiences in the past. If someone doesn't like a restaurant there are hundreds of other reasons besides the restaurant itself why they may not like it. For example, if you go to Boatwright’s and California Grill in the same trip, Boatwright’s is going to get an awful review in comparison. Boatwright’s is not CG, but if you go to both in the same trip you are going to compare the 2 and it is going to affect the reviews, even if it is comparing apples and oranges.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom