Are you sick of DVC Yet??

Thanks for the advice. I am aware of that detail and thanks for calling me "young enough." The advantage of the VWL is that for the money we're willing to spend now, we can essentially get 40 more points and that gives us a lot of extra flexibility. You made me think of something - once a DVC member we could buy some AKL points in the future.

You made two very good points about why you're buying into VWL.

Once again, Welcome Home!:wave:

DisneyPhD

Well, the DVC thread I was posting in went POOOOF! The wife and I decided to take the plunge. We're getting some resale points. I just sent her an e-mail (I want to make 100% sure with her) because even though I convinced her that resale was a better value, she did seem disappointed we weren't getting Animal Kingdom Lodge as our home resort. Thus, I want to make sure its OK with her. If this works out, the Wilderness Lodge will be our home away from home. Wish us luck!

That's great! Welcome Home (we own at VWL too).

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Uh-Oh. Multiple chemists at the same resort. I see from your sig that you have stayed at many different places. Do you ever have problems booking a studio/apt? I was wondering for our first trip if I should be uber conservative and book 11 months in advance (we'll need 3 studios at VWL) or wait until the 7 month window and book a grand villa at OKW.

DisneyPhD

Uh-Oh. Multiple chemists at the same resort. I see from your sig that you have stayed at many different places. Do you ever have problems booking a studio/apt? I was wondering for our first trip if I should be uber conservative and book 11 months in advance (we'll need 3 studios at VWL) or wait until the 7 month window and book a grand villa at OKW.

We've had to use the waitlist twice in 5 years. Once was for a studio Jan 1 at VWL in 2004 and the second was for a studio this past January at BCV during the Marathon weekend. Both came through a few months before the trip. Otherwise, if our first choice is not available then we move on to the second choice. We like BCV the best (proximity to Epcot and MGM and the pool). SSR (as long as you have a car) and VWL are about even. The kids love the pool at SSR. The boat from WL to MK is pretty convenient. OKW was our least favorite (that doesn't mean it's bad, just not our favorite). We had a room that was right next to the main road through the resort and the busses were very loud as they passed by. I'll let you know how we like BWV next week!

You might want to book the 3 studios since I've heard the grand villas book up very quickly. 3 studios at VWL is fewer points than a grand villa at OKW and if you have different groups in your party, they might be more comfortable having their own spaces. Just request that the studios are close together. I don't think they have any adjoining studios but there are 4 studios at the end of the long hallway.

King Billy

For what it's worth the cost of a single point back in 1991 was roughly $50. The next increase it will rise to $104. Also the cost of a one night stay at the CR back in 1971 was around 29-31 dollars.

stingrock23

I just joined DVC is 2005, and went twice last year. SSR is my home, but both times I stayed at OKW. So far, so good. The only issue I had is the long wait for buses.

wannaBmickey

Nope

I actually love getting the Mail, seeing all the emails etc. This is the one thing that makes my day brighter. If i could live on disney property I would !!!!
DISNEY KEEP IT UP! I LOVE IT!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Magic Maker

Ironically enough, every single work day or my life, despite all our advertising, I still come across a family who says to me, "I had no idea you guys existed!"

We have tons of advertising because we, as representatives don't resort to the low integrity tactics that our competitors often use. We don't attack people and jump all over guests to get them to talk to us.

If you think DVC advertising is abundant, let's think about the wonderful world of FREE DISNEY TICKETS, or $100 Cash. I trust we all know that these little booths up and down 192 and I-Drive are for regular timeshare where you get to spend 2-3 hours in a high pressure presentation.

That's NOT Disney Vacation Club, therefore I think we are entitled to our 3 info centers per park and Downtown Disney and one info center in each resort, all of which are designed and approved by Walt Disney Imagineers.
Our ads through property are the same way.

Anywho, have a magical day.
And too all our members, myself included, WELCOME HOME!

ryguy

Original Poster
I don't know about you all, but I am becoming tired of the constant push of DVC additions to the resort. I guess every Disney resort in the future will have a DVC attached to it. I would much rather see a new moderate resort. A re-theme of the Coronado (which is a total waste of space) sounds like a much better idea to me. The thought of another value resort makes me want to hurl as well. :hurl: Finish the Pop for goodness sake. :fork:
Ok I feel better now. Just had to vent. :wave:

I started this thread and its funny to see how threads can morph, I never said anything about advertising or kiosks. Or if DVC was a good idea or not. Obviously for Disney its a good idea. This thread was about how I feel that Disney is expanding DVC to areas I don't want to see it. For example, the contemporary resort. For the 100,000 or so DVC members its good but for the general disney vacationer the idea sucks. The thought of seeing a 15 story eyesore next to the Aframe tower makes me want to barf. Actually it should make any disney fan want to barf.:hurl: My point is that if you want to expand, expand it to already exsisting DVC property's. The shame is that this trend is not going to stop anytime soon, which makes me sad. I know one day they will add DVC to the Polynesian which really makes be want to :cry: .

Magic Kingdom in 2005 brought in 16.1 million guests, and I know that number increased last year. MGM,Epcot, and AK were 3-5 on the top attended theme parks so your looking at about 30 million visitors that visited WDW. A little more than 100,000 people own DVC yet they get all the expansion. I would like to see the money Disney spends of DVC be put to towards something that more visitors can use. So basically reinvest in the hotels you already have built. CBR needs love and the Pop needs to be finishied. I would much rather see the money used on the contemporary to finish the pop. That would give those who have less income more opportunity to visit Disney. To me the more people who visit Disney the better. :wave:

Don't waste your time arguing about whether timeshare is a good deal or not. No one will win that battle.

sillykid

I hear some of your concerns, but the reason these keep being built is because Disney needs little capital dollars. The new members pay for these buildings to be built. The $16,000 that you turn over to start, is what pays for this. To expand POP means they need to pay for it.

ryguy

Original Poster
Good post I see your point, I still would like to see less timeshare on Disney Property. Or at least slower growth. :wave:

DisneyPhD

Magic Kingdom in 2005 brought in 16.1 million guests, and I know that number increased last year. MGM,Epcot, and AK were 3-5 on the top attended theme parks so your looking at about 30 million visitors that visited WDW. A little more than 100,000 people own DVC yet they get all the expansion. I would like to see the money Disney spends of DVC be put to towards something that more visitors can use. So basically reinvest in the hotels you already have built. CBR needs love and the Pop needs to be finishied. I would much rather see the money used on the contemporary to finish the pop. That would give those who have less income more opportunity to visit Disney. To me the more people who visit Disney the better. :wave:
It seems to me that all (or most) of the money to build and maintain DVC is coming from DVC members. The primary expense members do not pay for is advertisement (all those kiosks, billboards, etc). So that would be the only funding that could be diverted toward park expansion or non DVC resort refurbishment. They can't take money from DVC members to pay for a new pool at CBR or to finish buildings at Pop. (Maybe I'm wrong on this)
I like the idea of DVC at the Contemporary (maybe even enough to help pay for it) although I'm not sure how I feel about the 15 story building. I'd be ok with a 7 or 8 story addition as long as it fits in with the existing building.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I started this thread and its funny to see how threads can morph.

The morphing kept the thread alive. It grew and transformed and actually there's been a lot of interesting discussion in it.

Actually, I'm a new DVC member and I share some of your concerns. I wish they would finish the POP and any DVC addition to the giant toaster needs to be well thought out and tasteful.

ryguy

Original Poster
My point was that people were putting words into my mouth that weren't true. It reminds of the game telephone you play when your a kid. For example the whole notion of kiosks around property. That doesn't really bother me yet it was mentioned several times that it was one of my concerns. For the record my beef is with expansion of DVC to exsisting hotels not the advertising aspect. And I am totally fine with DVC building their own resorts.
I understand if you put a lot of money down on DVC and than people start trashing it, you would want to defend your decision. On the other hand its ok to not to like DVC and to be frustrated that it continues to creep it's way all over the resort. The most important aspect of DVC is to realize that most people love it or hate it, and both sides have valid reasons for there feelings. My beef will always be with Disney and never with the people who buy DVC.

I do agree that this has been a good discussion, and I like the fact its been a civilized discussion. A lot of times at this website people take things personally and get there feelings hurt. As a result they feel the need to get nasty. Thanks again for a nice discussion.:wave:

beachclubbasics

It seems to me that all (or most) of the money to build and maintain DVC is coming from DVC members. The primary expense members do not pay for is advertisement (all those kiosks, billboards, etc). So that would be the only funding that could be diverted toward park expansion or non DVC resort refurbishment. They can't take money from DVC members to pay for a new pool at CBR or to finish buildings at Pop. (Maybe I'm wrong on this)
I like the idea of DVC at the Contemporary (maybe even enough to help pay for it) although I'm not sure how I feel about the 15 story building. I'd be ok with a 7 or 8 story addition as long as it fits in with the existing building.
You're right. You have to look at DVC just like how Disney built most of its attractions..through corporate sponsorships. They used the sponsors' monies to build the ride with little out of pocket to themselves. The initial 10 year sponsorship outlay for Horizons (for example) was enough to build the original ride and take care of X number of years of maintenance. That's how they build the DVC resorts....members pay for the buildngs to be built, pay the taxes and maintenance, and very little comes out of Disney's pcokets except for advertising. But, that money is earmarked for DVC resorts only and has to be used as such.

I'm not tired per se of the DVC, if I don't want to buy into it I won't, and the ads kid of fade intothe background the longer you see them. I think what really gets on my nerves is Disney obsession by itself. It's one thing to like to go to WDW..even if you go more than once per year, but to see (and know personally) some people who put this before their own kids' welfare is a bit extreme. Honestly, 3 mortgages on your home, buying all of you kids' clothes at garage sales and thrift shops, using kerosene heaters because gas is more costly (kerosene is dangerous), shooting deer so you don't have to buy meat...all to go to WDW 3+ times per year. Also, I think it's nuts to work 3 jobs to pay for going to Disney more than once per year...so you lose out on time at home with the kids so that you can spend 3 +weeks per year with them at WDW? I seriously know MORE THAN ONE person who is like this.

I remember when WDW was considered a once in a lifetime trip. I was lucky and could go every year because my dad worked for a corporate sponsor, but even then it got to be too much. When did WDW become a 3-6 time a year trip? And why? I'm interested to find out seriously what the rationale is.

I'm going to post this as a separate thread because I'm really interested to find out some opinions/answers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom