Are you sick of DVC Yet??

PoohsGang

In reading this post from the start the are posters who are pro DVC and people against. Regarding the posts that it saves money or it doesnt, maybe some of us are lucky enough not to worry about money or care about saving money, maybe money is no object so we can spend whatever we want wheteher its a value or not. Perhaps we bought into the DVC because we like what it offers us.........As for the advertising kiosks etc they are fine, if they bother you ignore them, I have never been stopped once by anyone manning the kiosks.

spaceghost

Wouldn't investing your money in something like the stock market or interest bearing account be a smarter idea. For example, take the $25,000 you would spend on locking in a hotel room price, and put that amount in a cd that gives you 5% interest that would be $1250 a year, I could make a nice trip to Disney for that amount of money (Just for accomodations of course). The stock market when played right will give you an even better percentage rate a year. I think that makes more sense, I always feel better having that kind of money in my control than in someone else's (ie Disney's). Don't forget the maintance fees of 400.00 a year that's an extra $18,400. WOW

$25,000 + $18,400= $43,400 for 46 years.
$43,400 x .05 = $2170.00 for 46 years = $99,820.00 is what you lose in interest over 46 years. :hurl:

I am not a DVC member and it's late here in the East, my numbers could be off but you get my drift. Feel free to correct my math or estimates. :wave:

This also assumes that the prices on lodging at Value resorts will not go up over the course of 46 years. $1250 may get you a week now, but I doubt it will come close to covering a week in 10 or 20 years.

I have not bought into the DVC yet, but am tempted to do so in the next few years, and the two tempting things for me are:

1. This is a long term investment - in the short term, DVC doesn't really seem to save a ton of money (of course depending on your situation), but in the long term it could definitely be a money saver. The total points on the resort point charts are guaranteed to stay the same over the life of the plan - that would seem to mean that 200 points now is going to be worth the same as 200 points in 40 years. The cash that it would cost to get the equivalent of 200 points in lodging will definitely not be worth the same in 40 years. Of course, the big unknown in this is the maintenance fees - those could increase exponentially over 40 years, making this point moot...

2. Assuming my family decides that we want to make a priority of taking a family trip every year or so, it is reassuring to know that we have money already allocated for that expense. Those of you who are on a budget know that its easy to dip into extra funds when there's something short term that comes up that you really need/want. Putting money aside ahead of time via buying into the DVC can give some peace of mind...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Investing the money used for DVC to get $100,000, or having an annual or twice-annual trip to WDW? Is there even a choice? Sorry, but you can't put a price on memories, or seeing the reaction my kids have to Mickey, or Buzz, or the monorail. Those things are worth far more than the price of DVC.

PoohsGang

Again, maybe some people buy it because they want it or feel its a value to them personally not financially. Thats why we did, I loved the idea and once I knew I liked it the cost didnt matter to me. We were very very fortunate enough to not have to worry about money, we (Im sure as well as others) have invested in the past and can buy the dvc without having to worry if the investment is a good one. You could show me every spreadsheet in the world, the thing is is I bought it for my wife and I not because someone can prove it doesnt make money. You can't put a price on enjoyment. One thing I do know is you don't buy a vacation plan as an investment to make money you buy it as an investment in enjoyment. And what the thread was originally about, the kiosks and advertisng dont bother us at all I have never been approached or stopped by a DVC salesperson in the resorts or parks. To me it seems they are there if you need questions answered not to bother you. Has anyone else ever been approached by them, Im curious if we were just lucky or if they do hard type sales tactics?

BRER STITCH

I've no feeling either way on the timeshare, but I really, really, really, really, really HATE those DVC Booths every time I turn around.

Nothing like spoiling the magic with some good old fashioned marketing....

:rolleyes:

dvcnut39

Investing the money used for DVC to get $100,000, or having an annual or twice-annual trip to WDW? Is there even a choice? Sorry, but you can't put a price on memories, or seeing the reaction my kids have to Mickey, or Buzz, or the monorail. Those things are worth far more than the price of DVC.

This is the best arguement for the merit of DVC yet. Well said.

Magic Maker

DVC isnt really Disney's best kept secret if they advertise it everywhere. lol i laugh everytime i see one of those advertisements

I would agree that the secret campaign needs a revamp. I still consider it to be a secret though because sooooooooooo many people that should be members aren't, simply because they are under the assumption it is not for them. These folks unfortunetely continue to go to WDW every year and settle for spending the money because they think short term or settle for the value resorts or being off property.

We have 3 kiosks in each park and DTD. One in each resort. When you think about how many people attend WDW parks thee info centers per park is the right amount. If we had anymore or any less it would not be a smart business move.
DVC in my opinion does not take away from the Magic. Disney Vacation Club IS Disney. Most of us who work for DVC do so because we LOVE Disney. We do not bombard Guests, handing them brochures and stalking them to get them to "go on tour" like other timeshares. We may hand out stickers and sometimes start conversations, but most of us are very relaxed. Yes we are sales people, but we are Disney.
And the kiosks are also a guest service, we help so many Guests with directions, finding lost kids, you name it. So having us there not only helps the business, but it helps our guests. To me, showing Guest what DVC is all about and finding a time for them to go see a DVC Guide and tour our resort is the best service I can provide to them, because if they like DVC and become a member they will have a legacy of DVC for 40+ years.

I can understand that there is a lot of advertsiement, but it is for a great product and something that is very Disney.
Now it is time for me to go to one of my DVC Info Centers :wave:

slappy magoo

I've no feeling either way on the timeshare, but I really, really, really, really, really HATE those DVC Booths every time I turn around.

Nothing like spoiling the magic with some good old fashioned marketing....

Right, nothing like the charming subtlety of the eleventy-seven hundred souveneir shops/stands to restore honor & integrity to the spirit of Marketing. :lol:

BandontheRun

Again, maybe some people buy it because they want it or feel its a value to them personally not financially. Thats why we did, I loved the idea and once I knew I liked it the cost didnt matter to me. We were very very fortunate enough to not have to worry about money, we (Im sure as well as others) have invested in the past and can buy the dvc without having to worry if the investment is a good one. You could show me every spreadsheet in the world, the thing is is I bought it for my wife and I not because someone can prove it doesnt make money. You can't put a price on enjoyment. One thing I do know is you don't buy a vacation plan as an investment to make money you buy it as an investment in enjoyment. And what the thread was originally about, the kiosks and advertisng dont bother us at all I have never been approached or stopped by a DVC salesperson in the resorts or parks. To me it seems they are there if you need questions answered not to bother you. Has anyone else ever been approached by them, Im curious if we were just lucky or if they do hard type sales tactics?

We bought into 150 points in 2001 while we visited WDW using an RCI timeshare off-property. I quickly realizied the value in a vacation of just using Disney transportation etc. I HATED driving to and parking in WDW - totally took away from the magic of staying on-site. We ended up purchasinf DVC more as an investment in ensuring that we would create a family that would continue to return to WDW, on property and create those memories we could remember as we all grew up together. Today, I have 2 boys, aged 3 and 1 and during our next trip in November, will be 4 and 2 - I can honestly say that if I didn't make that DVC investment, I wouldn't be planning these trips every year because I'm sure the money could be allocated elsewhere- since we've got DVC- the annual trip is a given that we can all look forward to. In 2003, after my first son was born, we added points so we now have 210. No regrets, just optimism and anxiousness to get through the next 10 years of family memories at WDW. That return outweighs any stock, mutual fund, ETF, REIT, etc. etc..:)

Main Street USA

We bought into 150 points in 2001 while we visited WDW using an RCI timeshare off-property. I quickly realizied the value in a vacation of just using Disney transportation etc. I HATED driving to and parking in WDW - totally took away from the magic of staying on-site. We ended up purchasinf DVC more as an investment in ensuring that we would create a family that would continue to return to WDW, on property and create those memories we could remember as we all grew up together. Today, I have 2 boys, aged 3 and 1 and during our next trip in November, will be 4 and 2 - I can honestly say that if I didn't make that DVC investment, I wouldn't be planning these trips every year because I'm sure the money could be allocated elsewhere- since we've got DVC- the annual trip is a given that we can all look forward to. In 2003, after my first son was born, we added points so we now have 210. No regrets, just optimism and anxiousness to get through the next 10 years of family memories at WDW. That return outweighs any stock, mutual fund, ETF, REIT, etc. etc..:)
Good first post. Welcome to the boards!

Your post proves, yet again, that DVC is all about what it means to you PERSONALLY. No one can decide for your family what's best, because they don't know your situation or what your needs and wants are. It's different for everyone, and there's no right answer. ;)

BRER STITCH

Right, nothing like the charming subtlety of the eleventy-seven hundred souveneir shops/stands to restore honor & integrity to the spirit of Marketing. :lol:

Hmm....perhaps I should have just said I hated DVC instead...???

Not too sure lots of folks are confusing the DVC booths
with the souvenir stands.....:lookaroun

beachclubbasics

Not have to pay for accomodations? Come on now. That's just plain false. I'm all for DVC, too, but let's not call it something it isn't.

You know, there are a lot of people who go stay for a week on property and still pay less than ANY DVC owner's dues for one year. It's called a Value Resort.

I understand it's great to have the (arguably) nicer accomodations for less money (eventually less money...let's not forget the initial MINIMUM approx. $15,000 buy in for 150 points, which will only get you a studio on any decent week), but you can definitely still do WDW cheaper than DVC, which is FAR from "free accomodations."

You're right about that, Also, I have friends who belong to the DVC who have had great difficulty booking their trips...every year, and they call on the frist day they are allowed to call to book for that year. I paid $4500 last year for a wek in the Beach club WITH my tickets and the disney dining. For what I would need for my group size it woul dbe 400 points (about 40K) which is 8-10 7 day trips WITH tickets and Dinsey Dining for my crew). Also, don't forget about the annual "dues"..they're bound to shoot up a lot in the future. That fee will continue to rise and will probably be used to make up for any loss that the discount price that DVC "owners" (which you really aren't..you don't own the property at all, only the rights to use it for X number of days per year) pay brings the company.

I've also heard a lot of complaints about the cleanliness and maintenance of the rooms (you only get maid service once every 3 days).

I was gong to buy into Saratoga Springs (didn't like it at all) and then looked into buying points for the Beach Club as a resale, but I ended up taking $ 6100 of my deposit money and bought 1.5 acres of land about 30 minutes from Disney instead.

Most real estate people will tell you that timeshares are usually not worth the money and they are defintely NOT investments. What also bugs me is not only is the DVC timeshare advertisments EVERYWHERE around the parks and outside areas, BUT if you let one of timeshare sales reps now that you are interested they really hammer away at you.

What I would like to see is for the company to start doing something again for their shareholders (I'm one) like the old Disney Club. My dad worked for GAF when they made motion picture film for Disney and when GAF cameras were sold in the park. We used to get 1/2 priced rooms and tickets. I stayed at the Contemporary for a week every year from 1971-1980 and it was cheaper than to go to our local seaside resort here in NJ.

beachclubbasics

As an aside...

I should mention that I'm just plain old sick of overmarketing of Disney everywhere. I live in a small NJ seaside town. Everyne here is SO obsessed with Disney that I personally know poeple who go down there 5x a YEAR a week at a time, and the high school is trying to get Disney to give them liscensing ights to some Disney characters so they can put them on some of the school's atheletic uniforms. They even thank Disney Corp at every graduation (the senior trip is to WDW for 4 days).

Weird huh?

You're right about that, Also, I have friends who belong to the DVC who have had great difficulty booking their trips...every year, and they call on the frist day they are allowed to call to book for that year. I paid $4500 last year for a wek in the Beach club WITH my tickets and the disney dining. For what I would need for my group size it woul dbe 400 points (about 40K) which is 8-10 7 day trips WITH tickets and Dinsey Dining for my crew). Also, don't forget about the annual "dues"..they're bound to shoot up a lot in the future. That fee will continue to rise and will probably be used to make up for any loss that the discount price that DVC "owners" (which you really aren't..you don't own the property at all, only the rights to use it for X number of days per year) pay brings the company.

I've also heard a lot of complaints about the cleanliness and maintenance of the rooms (you only get maid service once every 3 days).

I was gong to buy into Saratoga Springs (didn't like it at all) and then looked into buying points for the Beach Club as a resale, but I ended up taking $ 6100 of my deposit money and bought 1.5 acres of land about 30 minutes from Disney instead.

Most real estate people will tell you that timeshares are usually not worth the money and they are defintely NOT investments. What also bugs me is not only is the DVC timeshare advertisments EVERYWHERE around the parks and outside areas, BUT if you let one of timeshare sales reps now that you are interested they really hammer away at you.

What I would like to see is for the company to start doing something again for their shareholders (I'm one) like the old Disney Club. My dad worked for GAF when they made motion picture film for Disney and when GAF cameras were sold in the park. We used to get 1/2 priced rooms and tickets. I stayed at the Contemporary for a week every year from 1971-1980 and it was cheaper than to go to our local seaside resort here in NJ.

As stated in a previous post, DVC is a personal decision and not right for everyone. So, you're not a DVC fan. That's OK, but it doesn't mean that DVC isn't the right decision for others. We're very happy with our membership.

I've never had a room that wasn't clean.
I've never had trouble getting the reservations that I wanted.
I'm happy with the perks that are part of the membership, especially the annual pass discount. Although it may not last forever, we're enjoying it now.

For some, DVC is the way to go. For some, it's 1/5 acres of land 30 minutes from Disney. What we do with our discretionary income is up to us and, as they say, that's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

PoohsGang

Again I will repeat my earlier post
Originally Posted by PoohsGang

In adding to my earlier statement in response to booking, cleanliness, investment etc

Never had a problem booking at my home resort Beach Club (which is one of the most requested)
Very clean rooms.
Very nice guests.
No car rental necessary (for my drive from my 1.5 acres of land)
Anyone knows you don't buy a timeshare for an investment.
You invest wisely then buy a timeshare with your profits.
You cannot put a value on a good vacation!
People who have money will buy what they want when they want no matter how much you try to prove DVC is not worth it to you.

DVC IS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE WHEN I SEE SOMETHING I WANT I WILL BUY IT NO MATTER THE COST. NOT IF IT PLEASES OTHER PEOPLE OR OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS, AGAIN ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE BUT DEFINITELY FOR ME AND MY WIFE!

NO ONE EVER ANSWERS THIS QUESTION, HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN APPROACHED BY ANY OF THE PEOPLE IN THE KIOSKS ? IN OVER 10 TRIPS I HAVE NEVER BEEN APPROACHED.

AS FOR ADVERTISING TRY RUNNING A BUSINESS WITHOUT IT.

NO ONE EVER ANSWERS THIS QUESTION, HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN APPROACHED BY ANY OF THE PEOPLE IN THE KIOSKS ? IN OVER 10 TRIPS I HAVE NEVER BEEN APPROACHED.

I never thought about it before, but I don't think we've ever been approached by any of the people in the kiosks either. Good point!

PoohsGang

I never thought about it before, but I don't think we've ever been approached by any of the people in the kiosks either. Good point!

I was told that they are there to answer questions but are forbidden to solicit other than set up tours. As far as my experience that is how I have perceived them, this is why I don't get all the people complaining about the kiosks.

They are nothing like the typical timeshare sales tactics when I as in Mexico we couldn't walk 100 feet without be attacked by hard sell sales people. If people think the DVC kiosks are bad they should try real timeshare salespeople, they are like the worlds worst car salespeople all wrapped up into one person!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom