Are you a Disney fan, or a WDW fan?

What do you love most about Disney?

• I love all things Disney including Mickey, the parks, and other characters.

Votes: 79 53.7%
  • I mostly love WDW for the parks, although I do enjoy other parts such as movies and some characters.

Votes: 68 46.3%

• Total voters

mrtoad

I fall in between somewhere. I love WDW. When I think about my childhood, my best and strongest memories are of my family vacations to WDW. I do love Disney decorations though mine tend to be things like attraction posters. We don't have tons of Disney decorations in the house, though my home office is pretty much all Disney. We do have a ton of Disney related ornaments for our tree but they are only part of the tree, not all exclusive on the tree. I love Disney movies but not all of them (for one I can't really stand watching Aladdin). I think the Disney channel as a whole is bad. I don't see what my daughter sees in the shows. And you can't say because I am an adult I just don't see it the same as there are other shows for kids that I dig on other channels.

So long story short, I am in the middle somewhere. I love all things WDW and lots but not all other things Disney....

Mouse Man

Count me in for everything Disney. We always have something on display in my House with Disney. Our christmas tree has a lot of Disney characters, we have various decorations for all the major holidays and we fly Disney flags in our front yard and change them out with different characters for the seasons. We have a ton on Disney Movies that the DWF and I watch and cartoons for my Grandson. Plus now that he is three years old we have been getting him ready for Mickey and WDW. He is already asking that when he is bigger that pap-pap and grandma are going to take him to Disney. 2012 can not come fast enough to take this little man on his first Disney trip. So yeah when I look at it, my family is everything Disney.

dreambeliever

Im a Disney fanatic .I loved it as soon as I saw my first movie wen I was about 2 oh, and we had a great Disney store . And wen I was 3 and I heard ther was a place that Mickey, Minne ,Goofy and all ther Movie frends lived. So wen I was 4 and we enterd the MK and I saw mickey mouse's castle (hey I was a young boy and I could of cared less for the princess)and I was hooked so to rap things up I always loved the movies and compony the parks to me are like a plus to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wave:

BrerFrog

I don't like all things Disney - cough Disney Channel - but I can say I am a Disney fan, and WDW is just a part of the package. A big one.

David S.

I'm into the Disney Parks and the Disney Animated Classic films/characters/songs about equally, so I voted for "Disney fan".

The parks are what got me started, though. When I was a little kid in the 70's, this was before the era of home video or Disney Channel, so the only way you could see the Disney Animated Classic films was on their theatrical reissues once every several years. So my first exposure to the characters, stories, and songs from Animated Classics like Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Cinderella, Alice In Wonderland, and Peter Pan was in their corresponding park attractions in Fantasyland, which was, is, and always will be, my favorite park "land" due to its connection with these beloved classic films!

One attraction in particular - the late, great, Mickey Mouse Revue (http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/mmr.htm, http://www.mouseplanet.com/9119/Mickey_Mouse_Revue), was a personal favorite in childhood and largely responsible for my interest in the characters and songs from the Disney Animated Classics long before I would get to see them!

I remember everytime an Animated Classic like Dumbo, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, etc, was re-released to theatres what a big event it was for me! I would look forward to it with almost as much anticipation as I would a Disney park trip, and go watch it in the theatre multiple times during its run. In 1977, I saw Animated Classics #22 and #23, The Many Adventures Of Winnie the Pooh and The Rescuers on their original theatrical runs. These are the first two that I saw on their initial theatrical runs, and have since seen EVERY subsequent DAC, all the way up to and including the most recent in the series, #49, The Princess and the Frog, in theatres on their original theatrical releases. I've also seen all 11 Pixar films in theatres on their original theatrical releases.

As these films began appearing on home video, I began collecting them all on VHS tapes and eventually collected them ALL again on DVD! (I'm skipping blue ray though, because enough is enough! ;) )

To this day, all of my favorite Disney Park attractions are the Fantasyland classics based on the DACs, (Pooh, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Snow White, Dumbo, etc); attractions outside of Fantasyland based on DACs (Splash Mountain); and original attractions that weren't based on DACs, but have a cute, toonish quality and catchy songs that COULD have been from a DAC (Small World, Country Bears, Tiki Birds, Figment).

Also, as a little kid in the 70's, I became interested in Walt's classic live action films, and I also became obsessed with watching the Disney anthology series (then known as The Wonderful World Of Disney) religiously every Sunday night! I loved the wide variety of programs that were made for this show, all providing the sense of fun, fantasy, escapism, adventure, and heart that I loved about Disney parks and films, and all were family-friendly and better than ANYTHING else on television, then or now!

When Michael Eisner "diversified" the brand to include things like R-rated Touchstone movies, and bought the ABC network, I no longer felt compelled to follow everything the company did, as those things did not interest me. Also, the Disney Channel no longer interests me as they no longer show any of Walt's classic programming, and the new tween/teen sitcoms that currently define the channel is not the sort of thing that would have interested me even when I WAS the target age and obsessed with watching Disney programs for the ESCAPISM they provided from the "real", modern, world.

But I stuck, and still stick, by the things within the company whose roots can be traced back to the departments started by Walt Disney himself - namely the Disney theme parks and Walt Disney Feature Animation department. I have never felt let down by these two divisions (other than when an attraction closes that I really love).

I think it's important to remember that the early Imagineers who played such a key role in creating the parks - including early park classics that were NOT based on Animated Classics - came from the Animation Department. For instance, everytime you laugh at the rhino chasing the safari up the pole on Jungle Cruise, the doggie holding the keys on Pirates, or the funny character designs of Country Bear Jamboree - you are enjoying the work of master Character Animator and Imagineer Marc Davis.

I think the qualities, level of detail, humor, and heart that make the parks great have their roots in the Disney Feature Animation department, and the two are very much "cut from the same cloth" as it were. Both being in-house divisions started by Walt Disney himself, including many of the same key personel in their early years, and representing the pinnicle of their respective fields.

I'd say I love the parks and the Animated Classic films about equally. The parks have the advantage of being able to immerse you in the world of the films, although the sense of storytelling is abreviated. The films, meanwhile, can go into more depth and thoroughness in their storytelling. So I think the two ENHANCE each other. Riding Peter Pan's Flight, for example, enhances my appreciation of the film, Peter Pan, and makes me long to watch it. Watching the film, likewise, enhances my appreciation of the ride, and makes me long to ride it.

By being into both the parks AND the films, I feel I have a deeper appreciation of both, than if I was just into one and not the other.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I don't know, I think I like Disney World better than the movies and stuff. That's what I enjoy, theme parks and nothing gets better than Disney.

But I do decorate my office with Disney junks... :shrug::lol::animwink:

Chrononymous

Ok...so I voted for WDW fan...because that's the thing I consider myself most obsessed about!

I am a big fan of Walt. A true creative visionary.
I am not so much a fan of Mickey or the fab five. Some of the old cartoons I enjoy, but when he became a commercial epic icon, I think I lost interest in that arena.

I am also not a big fan of Snow White. Or the drarves. They just always freaked me out a little.But I can certainly appreciate the technical genius of the film on a different level.

However, that said...I adore most Disney films...(Old school) Annimated or live action...or especially both!

The more obscure stuff the better!

I love old Disney TV(Zorro! The Swamp Fox!) and some new (Phineus and Ferb!!)

Many Disney Films (Aladdin, Bedknobs and Broomsticks...) are in my list of favorite movies of all time!

I adore Disney Music. All of it... except for the teen pop stuff(I dislike Annette about as much as Miley)

But my real obsession comes from the parks!
I have two disney alarm clocks...one that plays "yo ho a pirates life for me" and another that plays the "Baroque Hoedown".

My bathroom is filled with Hollywood Tower Hotel merchandise

My bedroom has a pirate theme, and is chock full of PotC ride souveniers.

In my studio, there are numerous Splash Mountain toys and Haunted Mansion paraphenalia.

I even have a snow globe collection...though I am not sure how it started.

i have a monorail model, a Spaceship Earth full of trading pins, and a model of Mission Space still in the collector box.

I have scores of art books, especially on Imagineering.

So I suppose that puts me mostly in the Park Fan camp...if only I liked the Mouse a little more...I would be firmly in the other!

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
However, that said...I adore most Disney films...(Old school) Annimated or live action...or especially both!

Old School was NOT a Disney film. LOL! Just kidding. I know you meant old school films. :p

However, Jeffrey Katzenberg, one of the founders of Dreamworks who produced the film Old School, once worked for Disney. I think he was fired, but sure about that. Anyway, I thought that was an interesting tid bit. :D

HouCuseChickie

I'm actually a more of a Disney fan than I am of the parks. Don't get me wrong, I like the parks and all, but going to the parks for me is driven more by all that which inspired the parks vs. the parks themselves. This may also be why I could never see us going every year. Our love of Disney being the other way around would make it stale for us pretty quickly. The kids may beg and plead after this upcoming trip, and we may cave for a day or two since we go to Ft Lauderdale pretty regularly and it's not a horrible drive- but I can't see another big trip to WDW for a while after this one. It's funny- I think the 6 character meals we have planned for this trip excite me more than going to the parks. It's probably from the kids constantly watching Disney movies and listening to Disney music...b/c I'm obsessed with expanding their library. :lol:

DisneyGirl11

I have to say that I am 50/50. I love being at WDW (never been to any other Disney park, but would love to go one day). I love the feeling of being there and it seems that all of the cares of the real world, just disappear when I am there. I like to go at least once a year. I would go more if I could!! :p But I do like the characters, especially Mickey Mouse. You do know that it was all started by a mouse!! I don't have alot of Disney things in my house, but I definitely get alot of souvenirs when I go. But, I have to say, that I started loving Disney ever since the first time I went to WDW.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
But, I have to say, that I started loving Disney ever since the first time I went to WDW.

This is a great point DisneyGirl11! I was NEVER a Disney fan before I went to WDW for the first time 10 years ago. Since then I've learned to appreciate other aspects of Disney like some cartoons and characters. But my love is far and away attached to the parks more than it is to all other Disney things.

Now, that's not to say I'm not a huge fan of other Disney things. I'm a HUGE POTC movie fan, but that's completely unrelated to the fact that it's Disney. It's mostly just about the movies themselves.

Foolish Mortal

Like many others here, I'm a fan of all things Disney. Probably own every major Disney movie and if you've been outbid on Ebay on something that was used in the parks or at the Poly.....well that was probably me :D

DisneyGirl11

This is a great point DisneyGirl11! I was NEVER a Disney fan before I went to WDW for the first time 10 years ago. Since then I've learned to appreciate other aspects of Disney like some cartoons and characters. But my love is far and away attached to the parks more than it is to all other Disney things.

Now, that's not to say I'm not a huge fan of other Disney things. I'm a HUGE POTC movie fan, but that's completely unrelated to the fact that it's Disney. It's mostly just about the movies themselves.

I was only a Disney fan of some movies, that I grew up with, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast, etc. I do remember watching Dumbo's Circus and Winnie the Pooh on the Disney channel when I was younger. I remember that I would always see the commercials and then see Mickey on top of Spaceship Earth and wonder, what is that ball he is standing on?? LOL. It was not until I was 14 that I went to WDW and I loved it so much. I have never been to any of the other Disney parks. My next would be Disneyland. I agree with you, my love is far more attached to WDW!! Some people look at me and think I'm crazy!! I love it there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom