Are we jaded?

Merlin

Account Suspended
tigger248 said:
There's really a thread about churros? wow. They're good and all, but I agree that they're not necessarily a "disney" special or anything.

Yeah! Funny huh? There's also a thread where the title is something to the effect of "Totally humoungous outstanding...yada yada... news extravaganza about subs!" Then when you open the thread, all it is is an announcement that they've parked one of the subs in the lagoon with a sign that says, "We're Imagineering a New Idea". Since it's been known for some time that a new sub attraction may be in the works, I'd hardly call that BIG news, much less "totally humoungous news".

Woody13

Merlin said:
Since it's been known for some time that a new sub attraction may be in the works, I'd hardly call that BIG news, much less "totally humoungous news".
We are not all as blessed with news outlets as you.

tigsmom

Merlin said:
Hmmmm.... Well if that's true then I apologize (Sorry, Tigsmom). But she used my quote in her reply so it seemed a reasonable assumption.

No need to apologize...just a miscommunication. You are correct that I quoted you (in an earlier post), but I was agreeing at that point. The misunderstanding (I think) came when I quoted someone else...they had quoted you. *shrugs*

We all agree that things have gone downhill somewhat & would love to have it returned to its former glory. :wave:

imagineer99

Jabarr said:
P.S. you want to see a park with no class? go to Uni and IOA!!

I couldn't disagree with you more.

I may not be a Universal Fan, however, I am open-minded enough to recognize that what they do is leaps beyond your average theme park.

In additon, I agree with what Merlin says. It's so very hard for us Disney Fans to admit that our beloved company has messed up royally.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Not everyone is Jaded

I truly believe that Disney, and those of us who truly "care" about Disney, should demand the very best from Disney. Whether we're talking about service, prices, resorts, attractions, etc. Some of us make constructive criticisms based on experience. That experience may come from visits to the parks, work experience, or just ideas for better ways to do things.

Problem is, people don't always take criticisms well. Instead, they will view them as attacks on their character, etc.. When you do that, you are destined to never learn from your mistakes, as you don't see them as mistakes, but rather attacks against you.

Hence the problem with Mr. Eisner for some of us out here. At times, I believe, he has viewed his ideas as golden, no matter the outcome. Instead of being willing to admit to his shortcomings, he sticks to his beliefs, and therefore, can never see the err of his ways concerning any ideas which have failed.

Until there is a sea-change in attitude at the upper management level, there can be no change in the attitude, and by extension, the direction, of the company.

MKCustodial

csaguy said:
Why do we complain in the posts about over-prices, poor food, bad service but turn around and say "But it's Disney". Shouldn't we want the best of Disney. It doesn't matter which park you go to (WDW, Disneyland, Paris, Tokyo), it should all be good. Maybe after Eisner is gone someone we take notice of the people that pay their salary and give us back the best.

Well, if you don't agree with the prices, are you gonna stop going? That's not an option for many of us fans. But I'll tell you this: I've been planning to go to WDW for 3 years now, and that includes my future honeymoon, and I haven't been able to do it, and I won't go on my honeymoon. The dollar-real rexchange rates are 3 to 1 right now, so that makes it 3 times more expensive for me to go. Are the dollar rates Disney's fault? Of course not. But the fact that they charge 15 bucks for a burger and fries and a Coke kinda matters when you gotta add up all the expenses.

I've said many times here that what with the new immigration laws President Bush implemented, it's getting increasingly hard for non-Europeans to get tourism Visas. And the fact that the airlines haven't been doing good since 9/11 doesn't help things either. And many people may disagree, but WDW needs its International Guests. It cannot live on Americans alone. It can survive, I think, but not thrive like in the mid 90's, when everyone would complain about the dreaded Brazilian groups. They were always around because dollar rates were one to one, and there were always reports on the news about how Brazilians were a huge part on WDW's income.

So having said all that, I really think WDW should team up with an airline or two and come up with a good, heavy International campaign. We have the Disney Channel down here, Disney has contracts with non-cable channels to exhibit its movies and cartoons, and with stores to sell toys and clothes. We get DVDs and VHS, and comic books. But we never see promos about WDW or DL (or DLP and TDL, for that matter) anywhere. The new generations don't even know there's such a thing as a place where you can see Mickey and his friends. The fact that we had Mickey's House in a mall down here to celebrate the 75th birthday is a good thing, but it's not enough.

Would the increased International traffic halt the prices from going up? Probably not, because suits love that cash. But it'd definately help, I think. After all, we all know it's impossible to spend a day in the park and not come out with a few shopping bags and a couple of snacks...

EDIT: After reading the whole thread I realized my English got the best of me and I misunderstood its original idea. So I'm sorry about posting a totally non-related post like this. :lol:

Jabarr

no class

Legacy said:
In what way does Universal have no class?
last time I WAS THERE I saw roachs runing on the floor of the Rest. and the guy serving me had 5 gold teeth and a unkept uni! also to busy talking to the chick that he worked with to take my order!!

Legacy

Jabarr said:
last time I WAS THERE I saw roachs runing on the floor of the Rest. and the guy serving me had 5 gold teeth and a unkept uni! also to busy talking to the chick that he worked with to take my order!!
So he had gold teeth. Because Universal hired someone with gold teeth they have no class? One guy who obviously doesn't care about his job gives you the right to say a resort that employs 10,000 people has no class.

And I've seen roaches in Disney too. It's Florida; roaches are everywhere.

You are the type of Disney fan that urks me. The type who compares Universal to Six Flags. Believe me, Universal is closer to Disney than even Disney is to Disney in some areas.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Legacy said:
So he had gold teeth. Because Universal hired someone with gold teeth they have no class? One guy who obviously doesn't care about his job gives you the right to say a resort that employs 10,000 people has no class.

And I've seen roaches in Disney too. It's Florida; roaches are everywhere.

You are the type of Disney fan that urks me. The type who compares Universal to Six Flags. Believe me, Universal is closer to Disney than even Disney is to Disney in some areas.

Legacy, I'm right there with you!!! All of the things Jabarr cited about Universal are things I've witnessed at Disney as well. If those things are criteria for lacking class, then Jabarr has just insulted Disney too!

And I agree with you about fans insulting Universal. Both of their Florida parks are absolutely top notch IMHO. In many regards, they've raised the bar.

Jabarr

soo sorry

I know it is not a bad park but that really urked me. I have never spoted roaches in a rest. or unkept unis at Disney. but that is just me.I am planning on going to IOA in 2 months so I'll see if it improved for myself, from what the Travel channel says it has. Did not mean to get everyone upset. so sorry again and bty thanks for serving our country!! My lil bro does also. and thanks for leting me have an opinion..:animwink:

MKCustodial

Legacy said:
One guy who obviously doesn't care about his job gives you the right to say a resort that employs 10,000 people has no class.

You said it, Jeff. One of the first things that struck me as odd when I first came to WDWMagic was how some people could only like WDW, as if liking USF was a sin of some sort. I'd never plan a visit to Orlando and not visit USF, Busch and Sea World. They all have strenghts and weaknesses, just like WDW. Or don't you think there are bad CMs around the resort?

tigger248

I like USF and all, but I don't get over there too often because usually my trips have to be semi-short (I can't miss too much class after all :lookaroun ). I always make it to Margaritaville (can't come to FL and not go there!). I have had some bad experiences at USF, but I've also had a couple of bad experiences at WDW. This goes back to the fact that out of so many employees, you're always gonna have an occasional bad egg. To generalize that all of USF is bad based on one not so pleasant experience is not fair to USF. I'm glad that you're giving them another chance and going back. Hopefully you'll have a more pleasant time. I too had a bad experience at USF, but I've had many more good experiences and I believe that the good way outnumbers the bad. Have fun on your upcoming trip!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Merlin said:
-A couple months ago, I read a post on this site from a guy who had just ridden the Log Ride at Knott's Berry Farm. He went on and on about how the ride was such a blatant ripoff of Splash Mountain and how it was "so obvious" that they had stolen so many of the features of this ride from Disney. Well, like most Californians, I knew that the log ride at Knott's pre-dates Splash by over two decades. So although I have never found the two rides all that similar personally, if anyone ripped the other off, it would have been Disney ripping off Knott's. When I pointed it out to this guy (and provided a web site link just in case he didn't believe me), suddenly it was okay for the two rides to be similar. So when he thought the act was committed by Knott's, it was some kind of "crime". But when he found out it was actually Disney committing the act, it was okay.

Still sorry about that one Merlin. :) I am definitely not one to say "Disney is the best and no one else is," but I never knew that Timber Mountain opened before Splash.

Great post as usual, Jeff! Universal parks can NEVER be compared to an amusement park like Six Flags (Paramount parks shouldn't be either). There are many areas in which Universal is better than Disney, IMO, and until Disney gets back in the game, my opinion will never change.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Just a few comments

In reading one of the posts, (haven't learned how to insert others' posts in mine yet), I saw mention of President Bush and immigration laws, comparisons of Univer. to Disney, Knotts Berry Farm Flume ride to Splash Mountain. Lots of ground to cover. But here goes:

(1) President Bush IS NOT responsible for toughening immigration laws. Let's remember, law has to be passed by a majority in Congress. I love when people just blame the President for their lot in life. If you don't like the immigration/visa laws, then move to our GREAT country, where you won't have to worry about it. As well, you have to commend the Congress for taking more and more steps to further protect the citizens of the U.S. Let's keep in mind, WE were ATTACKED!!!

(2) I for one love it when the competitor improves their parks, as you hope it makes Disney do the same. (improve their own attractions, that is.) Competition is a good thing in any business. I have never been to Universal, and I'm sure that it serves a certain niche out there, but I'm a Disney fan at heart.

(3) As for Disney "stealing" ideas from competitors. Let's be honest. I'm sure that in any business there is a certain amount of "stealing" of ideas, so let's not act like this is so unbelievable. If any copyright infringements occured, believe me, there'd be lawsuits. So, let's let this idea go.

Lastly, I'd like to readdress the fact that I believe that what sets Disney apart is their attention to detail and their quality of service.

Merlin

Account Suspended
MKCustodial said:
You said it, Jeff. One of the first things that struck me as odd when I first came to WDWMagic was how some people could only like WDW, as if liking USF was a sin of some sort. I'd never plan a visit to Orlando and not visit USF, Busch and Sea World. They all have strenghts and weaknesses, just like WDW. Or don't you think there are bad CMs around the resort?

Another thing to consider is that many of the designers for Universal are former Disney Imagineers. So the people responsible for many of your favorite Disney attractions are also responsible for many of the attractions at Universal.

MKCustodial

HennieBogan1966 said:
(1) President Bush IS NOT responsible for toughening immigration laws. Let's remember, law has to be passed by a majority in Congress. I love when people just blame the President for their lot in life. If you don't like the immigration/visa laws, then move to our GREAT country, where you won't have to worry about it. As well, you have to commend the Congress for taking more and more steps to further protect the citizens of the U.S. Let's keep in mind, WE were ATTACKED!!!

I'm sorry if I was misunderstood. Or maybe you didn't notice in my post that I'm not American.
In my country, the president has power to stop something he doesn't agree with. I'm not blaming your president, but it was published in the paper that President Bush was toughening Visa/Immigration laws.
And no, I won't move to your GREAT country because that's even more difficult than getting a Visa just to visit.

Legacy

MKCustodial said:
I'm just one of the few trying to balancing out the universe.

imamouse

Lauriebar said:
jaded-dulled or dissipated by overindulgence

Perhaps this is the wrong term for what you are trying to say. I would use the word spoiled to explain my view about Disney quality. I have made eight trips to WDW in my adult life ( It wouldn't be fair to compare my childhood visits because they are too idealized in my mind ) and have come to expect a very high quality of service from the parks and resorts. I did not come to these expectations on my own. They came from my experiences in WDW.

In my opinion the quality of service and overall cleanliness at WDW has declined over the past 3-5 years. However, in comparison to other resorts and parks that I have visited, WDW is still the high water mark in the industry. Still, I long for the way things were when no trash could be seen, ALL castmembers were happy and helpful, and everything seemed to shine. This may never be the case again, but one can hope.

I do think that the company listens to complaints on these issues and does try to fix them on an individual basis but, what is needed is a hard look at the big picture.

In the end I am disappointed by these changes, I have come to expect the best from Disney, I have been spoiled.

Exactly how I feel - well put! Thanks :wave:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
On my trips I now spend some days at Universal resort. I know its not exactly like for like but Ican only say it as I see it.

The service, room quality, facilities at the Hard Rock hotel was every bit as good as that of Wildernss lodge. Oh and I got a welcome package that Disney didnt offer.

The parks are all unique so I wont compare ride for ride but the staff at Universal werte teenage attitude merchants when we first ever visited now Id say theres next to no difference. The same goes for cleanliness and overall presentation.

Despite all the stories about breakdowns at Universals newer rides we had no problems again unlike everyday at Disney, every day every park we visited had a major attraction down , but perhaps were unlucky. But if you read the stories about maintenance cut backs on here youstart to wonder if the two are connected.

But hey this weekend Im booking my flights for next year, so it must still be not three bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom