Are we jaded?

csaguy

Original Poster
Why do we complain in the posts about over-prices, poor food, bad service but turn around and say "But it's Disney". Shouldn't we want the best of Disney. It doesn't matter which park you go to (WDW, Disneyland, Paris, Tokyo), it should all be good. Maybe after Eisner is gone someone we take notice of the people that pay their salary and give us back the best.

tigsmom

Eisner leaving will not cure all of Disney's ills. Some of it has to do with the world we live in. No matter how perfect things are someone will always find something to complain about....thats just how they are, not happy unless they are complaining. :wave:

Merlin

Account Suspended
tigsmom said:
Eisner leaving will not cure all of Disney's ills. Some of it has to do with the world we live in. No matter how perfect things are someone will always find something to complain about....thats just how they are, not happy unless they are complaining. :wave:

True. But by the same token there are some who, no matter how BAD it is, will say "It's the BEST!" for no reason other than because it came from Disney. I think those individuals think they're being loyal to Disney, and would probably actually feel guilty if they said anything remotely critical. To me, this is an insult to what Disney is really about. Disney exists to entertain us in ways that are unique and imaginative, with an emphasis on top quality and service. Unfortunately, there are currently individuals in decision-making positions who are not sticking to that set of values. I personally believe that if those people are gone, and replaced with ones who are willing to adhere to the values of the company, Disney CAN be what we've come to expect. But as long as "fans" continue to blindly say they love everything Disney does (even the garbage) then where's the incentive for the company to even attempt to excel?

I agree with CSAGuy. We should not only WANT, but INSIST UPON, the best from Disney.

Merlin

Account Suspended
GoofyFan1 said:
Change for the better rarely is easy.....but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. :)

Exactly!!! And that's why we're now in the situation we're in. Too many "fans" have been willing to just accept what's thrown at them. That encourages mediocrity from a company that used to TRULY astound us with new things.

tigsmom

GoofyFan1 said:
Change for the better rarely is easy.....but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. :)

I never said it wouldn't be woth a try, I was just reply ing to the statement that once Eisner leaves everything would be fine.

If everyone who wanted changed failed to try we would be in a very sorry state.

Merlin

Account Suspended
tigsmom said:
I never said it wouldn't be woth a try, I was just reply ing to the statement that once Eisner leaves everything would be fine.
QUOTE]

I didn't say, "Once Eisner leaves everything will be fine" or anything of the sort (PLEASE re-read my post). What I said was that the company currently has people in decision-making decisions who are not adhering to the values. And that if those individuals were replaced with ones who WOULD adhere to the values then Disney CAN once again deliver the quality it once did. I also said that it would take TRUE fans and not just the "fans" who will accept anything.

I'm not sure how you read into this that I was saying it would be "easy" or that "once Eisner leaves everything will be fine".

Erika

Merlin said:
tigsmom said:
QUOTE]

I didn't say, "Once Eisner leaves everything will be fine" or anything of the sort (PLEASE re-read my post). .

Re-read hers; she was responding to csaguy, who said "Maybe after Eisner is gone someone we take notice of the people that pay their salary and give us back the best." :animwink:

Legacy

I'm jaded. I have memories of when Disney was literally Heaven on earth for me. I still have fleeting moments of that, but nothing compared to what I used to.

Lauriebar

jaded-dulled or dissipated by overindulgence

Perhaps this is the wrong term for what you are trying to say. I would use the word spoiled to explain my view about Disney quality. I have made eight trips to WDW in my adult life ( It wouldn't be fair to compare my childhood visits because they are too idealized in my mind ) and have come to expect a very high quality of service from the parks and resorts. I did not come to these expectations on my own. They came from my experiences in WDW.

In my opinion the quality of service and overall cleanliness at WDW has declined over the past 3-5 years. However, in comparison to other resorts and parks that I have visited, WDW is still the high water mark in the industry. Still, I long for the way things were when no trash could be seen, ALL castmembers were happy and helpful, and everything seemed to shine. This may never be the case again, but one can hope.

I do think that the company listens to complaints on these issues and does try to fix them on an individual basis but, what is needed is a hard look at the big picture.

In the end I am disappointed by these changes, I have come to expect the best from Disney, I have been spoiled.

scorp111

Prior to 10 days ago, my only experience with a Disney park was DLP.

Based on several popular stances on this board and others abouta periodic decline in food quality,services, hotels etc, I was a bit fearful that Disney might not meet my expectations.

No worries now. I can't compare to the past, because unfortunately, I didn't experience WDW then. But I can say, I had a blast. I can say my 14 month old had a blast, and her 65 year old Grampy did too. The rides, shows, service and yes even the food met or exceeded our expectations virtually all of the time ( more in the upcoming trip report).

Wilderness Lodge is great!

I agree, spolied is probably the better word.

WDW is still a great place to visit. I would expect most 1st time visitors to see it the same.

csaguy

Original Poster
scorp111, I like and aqree with your statement:

"WDW is still a great place to visit. I would expect most 1st time visitors to see it the same."

I hope the future lets us say that for the 2nd-100th visit.

Jabarr

Disney is great

It is true, everything starts at the top. Cast members take on what their leaders do, but for the most part (97%) of the time all is magical when I go to the WORLD. I grew up going to WDW so at this stage in my life if I am walking down Main Street or any park street for that matter, I will always pick up trash or help guest who our lost and what not. Please know that Cast members really do notice when you do this and will go out of their way to make your trip more magical!:king: So always think of yourself as a cast member when you are there if you trully love WDW as much as I know you all do. This place holds a speacial place in all of our hearts,and Eisner and his croonies will not have the last laugh! We the true Disney family will always have the bigest say becouse we speak with our hearts ( not to men our $$) Anyway keep up the good fight and WDW will always be OURS!!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: P.S. you want to see a park with no class? go to Uni and IOA!!

tigger248

Merlin said:
True. But by the same token there are some who, no matter how BAD it is, will say "It's the BEST!" for no reason other than because it came from Disney. I think those individuals think they're being loyal to Disney, and would probably actually feel guilty if they said anything remotely critical...

I'm not sure that's necessarily always true. Overall, every one of my disney trips has been wonderful. Occasionally there is a slight bad experience, but all in all the good way beats the bad. Plus, most of the bad that I've encountered have been more due to rude or evil guests, not the cast members. I can only think of 2 cases out of many trips where a cast member actually made me mad. The rest of my trips have been wonderful (and I don't say that just because it's Disney, they truly have been great.) Yes, I think management needs some work and some things need to be changed. Yes, I think the parks aren't in as good of shape as they once were and now need some work. But, most people continue to return because overall the trips are great and magical. I get better service at Disney than what I usually get anywhere else, that's for sure.

Pioneer Hall

Sometimes poor quality is something that just can't be avoided. The WDW division of the company employs over 55,000 people. Out of those there are going to be some that aren't the best of the best. It unfortunately happens that some of these people get through the tough screening process. But when you have that many people it unfortunately can happen that something may not be perfect and you won't get the best service available to you.

tigger248

DisneyInsider said:
Sometimes poor quality is something that just can't be avoided. The WDW division of the company employs over 55,000 people. Out of those there are going to be some that aren't the best of the best. It unfortunately happens that some of these people get through the tough screening process. But when you have that many people it unfortunately can happen that something may not be perfect and you won't get the best service available to you.

Exactly. I agree with you there. That's sorta what I was trying to get at too. Considering how many people actually work at WDW, there are very few bad things that happen. There will probably always be a bad egg that gets through no matter where you go. It just happens. It sucks, but it still happens.

Merlin

Account Suspended
tigger248 said:
I'm not sure that's necessarily always true. Overall, every one of my disney trips has been wonderful. Occasionally there is a slight bad experience, but all in all the good way beats the bad. Plus, most of the bad that I've encountered have been more due to rude or evil guests, not the cast members. I can only think of 2 cases out of many trips where a cast member actually made me mad. The rest of my trips have been wonderful (and I don't say that just because it's Disney, they truly have been great.) Yes, I think management needs some work and some things need to be changed. Yes, I think the parks aren't in as good of shape as they once were and now need some work. But, most people continue to return because overall the trips are great and magical. I get better service at Disney than what I usually get anywhere else, that's for sure.

You're right that it's not ALWAYS true, and I wasn't trying to imply that it was. Nor was I suggesting that it was true of ALL fans. And based on your post, I certainly wouldn't put you in that category. If you'll indulge me in a few examples, I'll illustrate what I meant...

-If you look in the Disneyland section right now, there is a thread going about churros. Don't get me wrong, I like a good churro just as much as the next person. And I'm not trying to knock the thread. But at the same time, it is quite telling of the state of the parks when churros are something that you relate so strongly to the parks. There's nothing uniquely "Disney" about churros. You can find them at pretty much any theme park. Heck, they even sell them every year at our state fair. I don't personally think of Disney every time I eat a churro and I certainly don't consider them a significant part of the Disney experience. I admit that's my OWN personal perspective, but at the same time, I just kind of find it sad that people are so passionate about churros. It seems to indicate there are fewer things about Disney parks to be passionate about these days. In the old days, I doubt a thread about churros would have come up.

-A couple months ago, I read a post on this site from a guy who had just ridden the Log Ride at Knott's Berry Farm. He went on and on about how the ride was such a blatant ripoff of Splash Mountain and how it was "so obvious" that they had stolen so many of the features of this ride from Disney. Well, like most Californians, I knew that the log ride at Knott's pre-dates Splash by over two decades. So although I have never found the two rides all that similar personally, if anyone ripped the other off, it would have been Disney ripping off Knott's. When I pointed it out to this guy (and provided a web site link just in case he didn't believe me), suddenly it was okay for the two rides to be similar. So when he thought the act was committed by Knott's, it was some kind of "crime". But when he found out it was actually Disney committing the act, it was okay.

My first example, to me, is just an indication that Disney doesn't wow us quite as much as they used to. Yet there are some who have to find some sort of "wow" factor in everything, however mundane. The second example illustrates that there seem to be a lot of "fans" who will support something simply because it's Disney. But if that same thing were at a rival theme park, they'd be knocking it. Another example of this, by the way, is Paradise Pier at DCA.

Sorry for the lengthy reply! :)

Merlin

Account Suspended
Erika said:
Re-read hers; she was responding to csaguy, who said "Maybe after Eisner is gone someone we take notice of the people that pay their salary and give us back the best." :animwink:

Hmmmm.... Well if that's true then I apologize (Sorry, Tigsmom). But she used my quote in her reply so it seemed a reasonable assumption.

tigger248

I totally get what you're saying and it makes perfect sense to me! Disney does still occasionally crank out those rides that just "wow" everyone, but overall I do agree that some of what is being added just isn't as spectacular as it could have been. There's really a thread about churros? wow. They're good and all, but I agree that they're not necessarily a "disney" special or anything. (Shows how much I look at Disneyland threads. Once I start planning my trip out west, which isn't even official yet, I'll start looking at those threads more.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom