Appalling state of the monorail cabins

StarWarsGirl

The Disneyland monorails I noticed were in better shape. Although the cabin wasn't as efficiently laid out and they were shorter (too short to accommodate the WDW crowds) they were much better.

I'm surprised I've never noticed the mold before. I'm very allergic to mold, and usually if I'm in a room with mold for more than 10 minutes, I wheeze. I'm especially surprised since I go off my allergy meds in Florida.
WDW should get new Monorails
Absolutely. However, I would like them to remain the classic design that they have currently. I like the retro Disneyland style, but there's just something about the original design that's classic.

PhotoDave219

Well, nothing looks like that at BGT ... or UNI ... etc.

The boats at UNI look brand new clean EVERY day. The boats at WDW are covered in cobwebs and have all sorts of creepy crawlies hanging around because Disney doesn't think they should be cleaned nightly. You must understand that with pay starting a smidge over seven and a half dollars an hour how much this might actually cost and why it just is impossible to handle.

.... Or the people who allegedly clean them nightly either falsify the paperwork or half- it.

John

Again! this is stuff that was unacceptable say 15 years ago. There would be CM reprimands. People and MANAGERS would have been written up. Heads would roll. Someone might even have been fired. Now? Sadly its common place. Another member was flamed over taking pictures of cobwebs and crud. Now this. It is all systemic of a overall deficiency in cleanliness and upkeep. There was a time when...."you can eat off the streets" was a common guest mantra. Now you have to look at your chair first to see if you want to sit in it. Just disgusting. Spirit is right....make your voices heard. Send Jason Garcia a letter. Send a letter to anyone who will listen. Shame them in to doing things differently. If TDO truly reads these boards.....How could you? How can you charge people those ridicules prices and continue to let this be acceptable?

Bairstow

Disney has clearly learned that they can widen their profit margins by cutting back on cleaning and maintainance yet still see attendance increase. Why on earth would they reverse course on this? Believe me, there will never be any going back to the "old days."

John

Disney has clearly learned that they can widen their profit margins by cutting back on cleaning and maintainance yet still see attendance increase. Why on earth would they reverse course on this? Believe me, there will never be any going back to the "old days."

No one really thinks the "old days" are coming back.......so just for clarification.....cleanliness is obsolete? outdated? maintience is a "when I was your age" concept?

Bairstow

No one really thinks the "old days" are coming back.......so just for clarification.....cleanliness is obsolete? outdated? maintience is a "when I was your age" concept?
Not altogether, but the standards of cleanliness Disney once imposed on their Florida parks proved unnecessarily high to retain their customer base.

Those who think they could "shame" the company into spending several hundred thousand dollars to refurbish the interiors of trains which are otherwise working fail to grasp the permanence of this change in standards.

Last edited:

Nubs70

When diehard financial accountants are the heads of organizations, maintenance is an expense. Pride and quality of product are not a goal to aspire but are also costs. Maintenance is a "when I was your age" concept.

hpyhnt 1000

There is no excuse for the condition of the monorails.

Now, due in part to the resort's huge growth, they must pack those trains as full as possible. With that many people crammed into such a small space so many times a day, there is going to be extreme wear and tear, especially on any trim that gets rammed by strollers and scooters.

The monorails simply can no longer comfortably handle the demand created by additional rooms/DVC going up along the MK route.

And that's a shame because, as someone pointed out, Disney is charging a fortune to stay at a monorail resort.

Shows you what the company's priorities are. Who cares about the actual guest experience of being crammed into a stifling, fiberglass mold factory as long as more people are paying big bucks to stay at the MK DVC resorts? Its not MyMagic+, its MoreMoney+.

You're right about the current monorails being unable to cope with today's crowd demands. But thats all the more reason why new longer, higher capacity trains should have been bought years ago. The lack of bigger trains is all the more dumbfounding considering the DVC building binge they've been on. You can't add 600 new rooms (soon to be more) on the monorail loop and NOT expect there to be increased capacity demands.

MaryJaneP

How long until the "termites" infest the monorails and the trains join Spectro by being unceremoniously dumped in the dumpster?

As for the horrid smell, it smells like someone spilled a can of liquid *ss in each cabin.

Da Man

When diehard financial accountants are the heads of organizations, maintenance is an expense. Pride and quality of product are not a goal to aspire but are also costs. Maintenance is a "when I was your age" concept.
Steve Jobs said it best (and I'm paraphrasing)- a company is at it's most imaginative, productive, responsive, and energetic when it starts out and is run by the engineers, dreamers, and believers. Years down the road, it is overrun by accountants and marketing types, and it slowly fades away and stops competing'.

He was referring to Microsoft, but you can substitute WDW in place.

John

Not altogether, but the standards of cleanliness Disney once imposed on their Florida parks proved unnecessarily high to retain their customer base.

Those who think they could "shame" the company into spending several hundred thousand dollars to refurbish the interiors of trains which are otherwise working fail to grasp the permanence of this change in standards.

I don't fail to grasp the notion that the condition of the interior is just unacceptable. The notion of it is just "working" isnt what we pay a huge amount of money for. You might be satisfied with this but I am not. You say Disney "imposed" cleaniness on its park....I beg to differ. It was a company mission statement. It was a level of excellence they strived for. CLeaniness was a Disney cultural attitude. Imposed? I think not.

asianway

It's sorta cathartic on some level when you realize that a great portion of the fan community has awakened from its Pixie Dusted stupor and finally sees what you've been seeing since the late 90s.

On the other hand, it's also sad because few will do what is needed, which is embarass the company (preferably through real media, but also social media) and contact execs and do not accept a simple phone call back from a trained monkey named 'Joan' ... but keep pushing the issue (s).

WDW is simply run like the only thing that matters is getting every penny out of every guest by doing the very least possible to take it.

Oh, and before some naive spirit says 'Just don't go. Show them with your wallet!' let me explain that Disney doesn't want any guest who might notice or have an issue with the condition of the trains. They'd much rather exchange you for yet another Honey Boo Boo type. Your money means nothing. A movement and going after their image in the media, that they care about. That will get their attention.

The problem is the people running the parks and the company are not worthy. As we mourn the loss of Walt's daughter, that should hit home. Iger and his trained monkeys are not worthy of the titles nor the salaries they command.

I just sit back and think George Kalogridis is President of WDW?!??! Such an absolutely unremarkable individual. And he's far better than many others ...
Was I the only one who thought George's presentation yesterday was pathetic, desperate, & embarrassing?

John

Your post seems to have a theme of....."it is what it is" That this is just the way things are today. That we should accept the change in standards. No use in complaining about it. You think you are going to shame a multinational conglomerate in to cleaning a monorail car? HA! Then what are we here for? There have been a couple threads with the same issues. If we don't report these things or take pictures....the public will remain unaware. You have to hope someone somewhere will see it......someone who just might matter.

Big C 73

So
Your post seems to have a theme of....."it is what it is" That this is just the way things are today. That we should accept the change in standards. No use in complaining about it. You think you are going to shame a multinational conglomerate in to cleaning a monorail car? HA! Then what are we here for? There have been a couple threads with the same issues. If we don't report these things or take pictures....the public will remain unaware. You have to hope someone somewhere will see it......someone who just might matter.

Someone should send it to Disney (it probably won't do any good) or post it somewhere like on Facebook or in comments somewhere.... Just something!

deix15x8

The one thing that surprised me when I was in Disney World in October was not the state of the inside, but the outside. Especially monorail lime which looked like it was involved in an accident. The whole body is just covered in dents, dings, splintering of the shell, and scratches. When you look at the surface you can see some areas where they did obvious patch jobs that barely cover the damage up. The weirdest thing though is black scraping along the lower part of the train like it ran into the platform, something that in theory is an impossibility making it hard to explain. Beyond the damage though their is also some very obvious dirt that should be cleaned off. It seems like these trains go way to long without a cleaning, maybe Disney should install a cleaner like an automated car wash on the track leading to the shed. That could at least help maintain the appearance a little longer than they currently are.
DSC00241.jpg

Unlike the interiors of the trains which are overloaded and hit with strollers and other objects their is really no reason for the outside to be in such poor condition. People are behind a barricade and then load into the train. Wheelchairs and scooters are normally segregated and loaded directly preventing them from being able to make contact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom