AP peeps no longer able to purchase Room Only + DDP?

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Apologies in advance (I've been away for a minute) if this has been covered, but was wondering if AP peeps are still able to purchase the DDP when booking room only? Was trying to book room only at one of the Values, but it won't let me add the DDP unless I add tickets.

Of note - We've already been twice this year, and multiple times last year with Room Only + DDP.

**Edit** We've been online trying to book....haven't tried the dreaded attempt via phone, but will soon if need be**

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Similar experience here. I just booked the PORS for 4 nights the week right before labor day. Got a decent rate at about $160 a night. Saw the DDP but couldn't add it to the promo I booked. I'm not expecting it due to the rate I am paying. Giving me a DDP QS plan for a family a 4 makes the room pretty much free.

If they add it for you please share the info.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Similar experience here. I just booked the PORS for 4 nights the week right before labor day. Got a decent rate at about $160 a night. Saw the DDP but couldn't add it to the promo I booked. I'm not expecting it due to the rate I am paying. Giving me a DDP QS plan for a family a 4 makes the room pretty much free.

I will share my the result of the phone call.
I do want to point out we are trying to book (online) a non-discounted room for December and it won't allow us to add dining....the last few years we've been able to add dining to any room only reservation regardless of discounts

I'll keep you posted....

P.S. We frequently book non-discounted rooms early, then modify to AP discounted when those rooms/offers become available

**edit** Failed to mention we are going next week with on an AP discounted Room Only WITH dining added.....booked that trip online in April

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
My bad. I think I misunderstood your post. Apologies. I thought you were referring to the free meal plan.
I should have clarified...we are trying to purchase QS.....Ran the numbers sooo many times and the only way the $$$ work out in our benefit is a two day stay with QS....otherwise we have to pick the most expensive things on the menu for it to make sense. The key is the resort mug "value" averaged for two days...you HAVE to place a value on the mug in this scenario...

Free Dining - It is almost always cheaper to get the reduced rate room only and buy the dining plan than it is to pay full room rate and receive the plan for free.....

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster

Just got off the phone...

Short answer:
1) Dining plans can be booked online as part of a package, and a package is not a "package" unless it includes tickets. If you are not adding tickets the option to add dining does not exist (doesn't populate online). So Room Only is NOT a "package".

2) You can call and book a "package" without tickets, thus to add dining to a room only reservation the cast member has to create a "package" manually remove the tickets and then add the DDP. That is a greatly over-simplified summary.

Cast Member I spoke with was great and gave way more detail.....the above was my translation

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've always had to call if I wanted, as an AP, to add a DDP to our reservation. But once we purchased the TiW card, we don't use the dining plan any more.

If I can, as DVC, add a dining plan to my DVC reservation with no problem, then APs should be able to do the same. MDE knows you're an AP.....

Hope you are able to add the QS DDP.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
You have to call to add it if you have an AP it cannot be done online it's called a ticketless package. And you still can purchase one with an AP discounted room or regular priced room, and so can DVC members without buying tickets too. Actually even people without one of those can purchase a dining plan without buying tickets too but it also has to be done on the phone not online.
Disney would never stop people staying onsite from purchasing a FULL price dining plan. Lol :)

21stamps

What @LAKid53 and @sxeensweet said.

It's called a "ticketless package" I wrongly booked part of my split stay with this last year. Make sure you really want it, if your resort sells out and you want to get rid of it- can't. At least I couldn't. My TA tried, was told there was a chance I would lose my room. So, I kept it, and completely wasted my money. Was left with 2 TS 3 QS and 2 snacks at check out I think. Frustrating.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
What @LAKid53 and @sxeensweet said.

It's called a "ticketless package" I wrongly booked part of my split stay with this last year. Make sure you really want it, if your resort sells out and you want to get rid of it- can't. At least I couldn't. My TA tried, was told there was a chance I would lose my room. So, I kept it, and completely wasted my money. Was left with 2 TS 3 QS and 2 snacks at check out I think. Frustrating.
Bummer you were stuck with those credits....

....this trip will be a split stay for us as well; otherwise the DDP doesn't make $en$e...We'll have QS for one night only (our 1st night), and will be able to eat dinner at the Studios that night (ABC Commissary have the chicken/rib combo), followed by Lunch the next day at BoG with the Braised Pork. Both of those meals are $20 with the soda, two ice cream sandwich cookies at $5 a pop, and we are at $50 each and have the use of the $18 mug......that is the only way it pays. The rest of our expenses, as well as the resort reservations were paid with Disney Gift cards. Our cards were from BJs and were $23.99 for a $25 card. Saved a squirt over 4% and it equates to $20 savings on a $500 trip. I've heard there are better deals through Target, and I have bought $500 cards for $475 online at Sam's....

For those who like to have everything paid in full, buy the discounted in advance and use those on your trip (see my avatar)

21stamps

Bummer you were stuck with those credits....

....this trip will be a split stay for us as well; otherwise the DDP doesn't make $en$e...We'll have QS for one night only (our 1st night), and will be able to eat dinner at the Studios that night (ABC Commissary have the chicken/rib combo), followed by Lunch the next day at BoG with the Braised Pork. Both of those meals are $20 with the soda, two ice cream sandwich cookies at $5 a pop, and we are at $50 each and have the use of the $18 mug......that is the only way it pays. The rest of our expenses, as well as the resort reservations were paid with Disney Gift cards. Our cards were from BJs and were $23.99 for a $25 card. Saved a squirt over 4% and it equates to $20 savings on a $500 trip. I've heard there are better deals through Target, and I have bought $500 cards for $475 online at Sam's....

For those who like to have everything paid in full, buy the discounted in advance and use those on your trip (see my avatar)

Perfect!

Big Hair

Just tried to book preferred room at Coronado Springs on the AP discount for August 8th thru the 10th yesterday. Didnt have it available, when I called, no wonder it wouldn't let me do it on line. The DTA said , "by the way we are offering a discount at PORS with the preferred room you are looking for". Bonus, not the French Quarter, but it knocks off one on the must do resort stay list. She added the DP because it is easier to cancel than add later on after I agreed. Full price but we will get our monies worth.

21stamps

Just tried to book preferred room at Coronado Springs on the AP discount for August 8th thru the 10th yesterday. Didnt have it available, when I called, no wonder it wouldn't let me do it on line. The DTA said , "by the way we are offering a discount at PORS with the preferred room you are looking for". Bonus, not the French Quarter, but it knocks off one on the must do resort stay list. She added the DP because it is easier to cancel than add later on after I agreed. Full price but we will get our monies worth.

She was very wrong in saying that it's "easier to cancel". But anyway, sounds like you won't be canceling it anyway.. have a great trip! :)

CaptainAmerica

She was very wrong in saying that it's "easier to cancel". But anyway, sounds like you won't be canceling it anyway.. have a great trip! :)
Yeah that's a very strange thing for them to say. Room-only reservations have a tremendously more generous cancellation policy than packages.

21stamps

Yeah that's a very strange thing for them to say. Room-only reservations have a tremendously more generous cancellation policy than packages.

Yep, that, and you can add a dining to room only at any time. I don't know why it's easier for them to go from a RO to a ticketless package, but not the reverse., I do know my personal experience, and my TA advised me that this has happened before in her experience.

I didn't have a room discount at all, so that had nothing to do with it... Just the way the bookings are coded.​

larandtra

TIW wonderland changes a lot for AP Holders. Book the room at the AP discount, or as some mentioned, book at full price and then when the AP discount is announced call and have the discount applied and buy TIW. For an AP holder, I dont know how you could go without it. Ive also noticed that if you ask for specific floors, sometimes they will bump you even after you book the room. 5th floor at Yacht club, 4th at Boardwalk. My daughter has booked rooms at these resorts at full price, then gets her AP discount applied when they are announced, and somehow always ends up on the floor she wants, which is actually concierge level. We tried it this past trip and it worked for us as well. Booked a room at Yacht Club, requested 5th floor near an elevator. Got a pool view, 5th floor ( concierge) near the only elevator. Information is a great tool.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
You have to call to add it if you have an AP it cannot be done online it's called a ticketless package. And you still can purchase one with an AP discounted room or regular priced room, and so can DVC members without buying tickets too. Actually even people without one of those can purchase a dining plan without buying tickets too but it also has to be done on the phone not online.
Disney would never stop people staying onsite from purchasing a FULL price dining plan. Lol :)

Yep, that, and you can add a dining to room only at any time. I don't know why it's easier for them to go from a RO to a ticketless package, but not the reverse., I do know my personal experience, and my TA advised me that this has happened before in her experience.

I didn't have a room discount at all, so that had nothing to do with it... Just the way the bookings are coded.​
Just wanted to update everyone.

1) I called and was able to add dining to my "ticketless" package
2) I just booked online another trip and WAS able to add dining to a ticketless package. So the feature of adding dining when booking online has returned!!

After skimming this thread, a few more comments:
- When adding or removing dining from an EXISTING ticketless package, we've ALWAYS had to call. The Cast Member has to cancel the existing reservation and create a new one. Somewhere one this thread someone mentioned they were told they might lose the room or room discount. I'm assuming the Cast Member was saying the room you booked initially may not be available now?
- Again, the dining plan only makes $ens$ if a high value is placed on the refillable mug and your stay is very short. That is our take anywho....
- It is much easier to cancel/modify a room only than a package. Not only is it doable online, the cancellation period is only 5 days before arrival.

Last edited:

21stamps

Just wanted to update everyone.

1) I called and was able to add dining to my "ticketless" package
2) I just booked online another trip and WAS able to add dining to a ticketless package. So the feature of adding dining when booking online has returned!!

After skimming this thread, a few more comments:
- When adding or removing dining from an EXISTING ticketless package, we've ALWAYS had to call. The Cast Member has to cancel the existing reservation and create a new one. Somewhere one this thread someone mentioned they were told they might lose the room or room discount. I'm assuming the Cast Member was saying the room you booked initially may not be available now?
- Again, the dining plan only makes $ens$ if a high value is placed on the refillable mug and your stay is very short. That is our take anywho....
- It is much easier to cancel/modify a room only than a package. Not only is it doable online, the cancellation period is only 5 days before arrival.

It definitely is easier to modify a room only, I ran into that problem last year.

Glad it all worked out !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom