AOA or Contemporary??

mrincredible34

Original Poster
My family and I currently have a trip booked for next May. We were looking at the nemo family suite since we are 5 adults. However, these rooms are kinda pricey especially for a value resort. Was also looking at contemporary saw some of the rooms might be around the same price point. Really like the fact that contemporary is so close to magic kingdom. We stayed at caribbean our last trip and it took so long to get to magic kingdom especially since it was our favorite park. Are the contemporary rooms big enough for a family of 5 adults? How long are the bus rides from AOA to the parks? Any recommendations? (open to other resort suggestions as well!) Thanks!

CaptainAmerica

Are the contemporary rooms big enough for a family of 5 adults?
Absolutely not. Take a look at the Fort Wilderness cabins.

There's also absolutely zero chance that the price for a Contemporary room would be anywhere near the price of an Art of Animation suite. In your calculations, you need to include the fact that Disney will charge you an additional fee for the third, fourth, and fifth adults in your party. I believe the rate per additional adult is $20 per adult per night.

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

We are frequent Contemporary denizens (old north garden wing, south garden wing, and tower) . However, in our humble opinion, we would NEVER try to fit 5 adults in one room. In fact, we are contemplating 2 rooms for the 5 of us. Past trips were 2 adults and 3 children, less children as they were in college, or we stayed offsite. We liked the proximity to the Magic Kingdom but would advise against trying to shoehorn 5 adults in one room. We are a firm believer in not sharing one bathroom amongst 5 people. We do not know if there is a financial benefit to renting points and getting a suite at Bay Lake Tower. Benefit would be close to MK. Con could be cost. Likewise, we do not know if there is a suite with two bathrooms. A suite can be cheaper than two Contemporary rooms, even at rack rate.

rob0519

We are frequent Contemporary denizens (old north garden wing, south garden wing, and tower) . However, in our humble opinion, we would NEVER try to fit 5 adults in one room. In fact, we are contemplating 2 rooms for the 5 of us. Past trips were 2 adults and 3 children, less children as they were in college, or we stayed offsite. We liked the proximity to the Magic Kingdom but would advise against trying to shoehorn 5 adults in one room. We are a firm believer in not sharing one bathroom amongst 5 people. We do not know if there is a financial benefit to renting points and getting a suite at Bay Lake Tower. Benefit would be close to MK. Con could be cost. Likewise, we do not know if there is a suite with two bathrooms. A suite can be cheaper than two Contemporary rooms, even at rack rate.

We have 5 adults and one each trip we always get 2 room, whether it's at the CR, GF or Polynesian. I don't want to imagine 5 adults in a room that size and yes, it is 20 or 25 dollars per day for each adult over the first two names on the registration. I don't think they would allow 5 legally. I need to look into the possibility of a 2 bedroom suite at Bay Lake as well.

mrincredible34

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the help! I haven't stayed at any of these places before so its good to note how small the rooms are. I think I might just keep our AOA reservation. It looks like a pretty cool place to stay especially the Nemo themed rooms.

MissViv

We love Contemporary and the rooms are really quite large. If you can fit two adults in each queen size bed, there is another pull down bed that would fit a small adult.

I would chose Contemporary over AOA just because of the transportation if the price is around the same.

correcaminos

I would not pick AoA myself. The suites aren't really that large and full sized beds are a turn off for me. There are other options on site I'd look at first like the Ft. Wilderness Cabins (get a golf cart rental) or DVC renting.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

A one bedroom at Bay Lake Towers sleeps 5...and has 2 bathrooms, although the 2nd one is small. Kidani Village one bedroom also has a 2nd bathroom.

The cabins won't work for 5 adults, unless one of them is short enough to fit in one of the bunk beds. Only one bathroom in the cabins. We were 4 adults sharing that one bathroom.

BigRedDad

I would not stay at ANY Disney resort unless it was a 2BR unit with 5 adults. At the price Disney charges and even the price you can get from Disney DVC owners, offsite is far cheaper and you get so much more. Just a quick glance at a 2BR villa at SSR during the cheapest time and the cheapest nights (Sun - Fri), it is $500/nt after tax. With a DVC member, you may get it for $300/nt. At those prices, you can get a 2BR better than Disney resort for $500 for 7-nights. Yes, the price of 1 night is the same as 7-nights at a resort that is 1-2 miles away.

mrincredible34

Original Poster
At those prices, you can get a 2BR better than Disney resort for $500 for 7-nights. Yes, the price of 1 night is the same as 7-nights at a resort that is 1-2 miles away.

Is there a specific place you would recommend? We wanted to stay at one of the Disney owned resorts since everything is easier (transportation which includes a ride to and from airport, checked bags sent to your room, 60 day fast pass, dining plan, etc.) plus I feel staying at a Disney resort is part of the overall experience, something you kinda miss out on at a Marriott or Hilton.

JHASdiz

I priced the same 2 resorts. The price for a standard wing room at the CR and a suite at the AOA were comparable. I think we are going to stay at the CR for transportation convenience. I know a family that stayed in a standard CR room with the legal amount of 5 adults and they managed just fine and enjoyed themselves. Like was said you don't spend that much time in the room anyway...

mrincredible34

Original Poster
I priced the same 2 resorts. The price for a standard wing room at the CR and a suite at the AOA were comparable.

How comparable? When I called it was like a $1300 price difference. lol I am an AP holder so I might wait until they release 2018 vacation packages and see how significant the discount rate difference is between the value and deluxe resorts.

JHASdiz

When I checked it was very close in price. What I searched for was for an off season period, it was in the wing with garden view of CR not tower and the Cars Suite at AoA. They were both $3??.?? Per night. Unfortunately we weren't able to go this year so I'm hoping for next year! I'm waiting for the prices for 2018 to come out so I can compare again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom