Anything more to be expected of Nemo?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I liked Mulan and Tarzan quite a bit. Haven't seen Fantasia 2000, or HOTR (Absolutely NO interest in it at all). But Jungle Book 2 was terrible, but Brother Bear was pretty good.

*begin sarcasm*

We all know that 3-D is the only way to make money in animated movies these days. Look at Shrek - there's no story there at all, it's not funny, it's just 3-D!!! Eisner knows, in his infinite wisdom that was used up in 1994, that it's not story that drives people back, it's 7.23 million special effects and 3-D animation. I mean, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, The Alamo, HOTR.... all bombed at the box office because they either didn't have enough special effects, or were 2-D.

*end sarcasm*

speck76

Originally posted by HauntedPirate

*begin sarcasm*

We all know that 3-D is the only way to make money in animated movies these days. Look at Shrek - there's no story there at all, it's not funny, it's just 3-D!!! Eisner knows, in his infinite wisdom that was used up in 1994, that it's not story that drives people back, it's 7.23 million special effects and 3-D animation. I mean, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, The Alamo, HOTR.... all bombed at the box office because they either didn't have enough special effects, or were 2-D.

*end sarcasm*

A better example of a CGI films making MUCH more than it should have would be Ice Age. That movie was a cure for insomnia.

TheDisneyGirl02

Does anybody think the decrease in the value of the animated feature went down due to Frank Well's death? He died in 1994, which was the year TLK came out...just wondering if anybody else felt the same way!

TheDisneyGirl02

bgraham34

Blame it all on eisner. He wants to ruin Disney now. We need fresh blood to come in with new ideas and bring back the Disney magic

speck76

Originally posted by TheDisneyGirl02
Does anybody think the decrease in the value of the animated feature went down due to Frank Well's death? He died in 1994, which was the year TLK came out...just wondering if anybody else felt the same way!

TheDisneyGirl02

I think it has more to do with the death of Howard Ashman (he worked on TLM, B&tB, and started Aladdin before he died) and the departure of Jeff Katzenburg

General Grizz

Originally posted by speck76
Jeff Katzenburg

. . . who went on to found Dreamworks. :lookaroun

If you have the 1989/1990 release of the Little Mermaid, check out the intro preview to Beauty and the Beast. Katzenburg looks like he knows everything that makes a movie great, from talking about heart to characters to music. We haven't seen anything on par to the classic era of "Little Mermaid," "Beauty," "Aladdin," and "Lion King." And it looks to me that the loss of Katzenburg had a lot to do (if not all to do) with this.

careship

Well

I hate to agree with General Grizz (kidding) but you are right. When Katzenberg left it's like part of the magic left too. An Eisner of course is just willing to snuff out the rest of the magic with his big toe because he is onnly worried about one thing...his paycheck. I remember the day when Disney was imitated and looked up to. Now, thanks to Eisner, we have fallen behind in what Walt's true vision was and it may be hard to ever get someone to fix it. He has done incredible damage to the legacy. While I will say, for a very short time, he did do well, but it was like he didn't care anymore.

I love all the movies even the ones noone seems to like. I can see the beauty and love in them. Well there is one exception....Home on the Range? What was that? Maybe because I can't stand Roseanne. I can't stand that movie.

netenyahoo

I also think that Katzenburg's (sp?) departure deeply affected the animation department. Disney really needs someone to bring back creative and fun thinking. Katzenburg founded Dreamworks Animation which has done ok. All their movies were duds except the Shrek movies. I am glad for the competition though because I hope it means Disney will get better.

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by General Grizz
"Who kno$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. . ."

:lol: :lol: Only Ei$ner! :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry. . . I did not give Mulan justice. It's probably because I haven't seen it (or Hercules) for a few years now. . . and I'll slap my face for saying it's simply "not bad" .

Saw "Mulan" yesterday! The film was great. I only have one issue with it. Why the hell do people vandalise rented DVDs??? :zipit: Every 5 minutes it jumped a scene!
Grizz, please don't slap yourself. Save it for Eisner! :lol:

Off topic: Is Hercules already available on DVD? I'm dying to watch it!

MichRX7

Premium Member
Actually, we enjoy Herc. Has a pretty basic Disney theme, the songs are decent and somewhat catch... My only complaint was they made Hades too nice. They had a real chance to make this guy truly evil and still maintain the humor and yet he comes off at times almost wimpish.

They almost took a "Prince John" approach with him, and while I like Robin Hood I thought that was a mistake for Hades.

(Oh man, now I'm at work humming the opening to RH...dee dee dee dum dum dum dum dum dee dum dee dum doo...)

Oh wait, this thread was about Nemo...

MagicalMonorail

Pocahontas, Mulan, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Hercules are all great Disney films. They all have romance, villains, and music.

The music in these movies was great. Pocahontas has Colors of the Wind. Mulan had Reflection, which Christina Aguilera turned into a hit. Hercules had 2 decent songs with I Can Go the Distance and I Won't Say I'm in Love. Hunchback had the creepy villain song and that awesome song Out There.

These movies should be used more in the parks. We only see Mulan at the castle stage show, and Hercules and Quasimodo are rarely seen. We can see Pocahontas in Fantasmic and her Forest Friends at AK, but that's it. Maybe that rumor about her taking over Splash Mountain will come true. :lookaroun Hopefully, we'll see more of these movies in the parks in the future.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Originally posted by MagicalMonorail
Maybe that rumor about her taking over Splash Mountain will come true. :lookaroun

AIGH! NO NO NO! Ok, I'll agree that having Uncle Remus be a large bullfrog is awful, but please please don't take away my briar patch. (I just love SotS). I read those stories to my kids just because I love to try and do the voices myself (and they get a kick out of laughing at Dad).

I started a thread on this whole Disney/Villian thing over in the animation/movie area here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40349

speck76

When I was on Splash Mt last weekend Brer Frog looked to have Parkinson's....something was wrong with the AA and it was vibrating very badly. (although the frod did have a big smile)

General Grizz

Originally posted by speck76
When I was on Splash Mt last weekend Brer Frog looked to have Parkinson's....something was wrong with the AA and it was vibrating very badly. (although the frod did have a big smile)

Yeah, poor (plastic) Brer Frog isn't one of Splash Mountain's best. I'd like to see him replaced as the years go on.

"I say, he's in for trouble!"

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
3D, schmee D

Originally posted by HauntedPirate
I liked Mulan and Tarzan quite a bit. Haven't seen Fantasia 2000, or HOTR (Absolutely NO interest in it at all). But Jungle Book 2 was terrible, but Brother Bear was pretty good.

*begin sarcasm*

*end sarcasm*

3-D or CGI have nothing to do with it. What is common to the klunkers you mentioned is that they have no story, bad acting and stiff, shallow characters....come to think of it you are partially right as the personalities of all these characters are 2D, but that has nothing to do with the camera. :animwink:

speck76

Yeah, poor (plastic) Brer Frog isn't one of Splash Mountain's best. I'd like to see him replaced as the years go on.

"I say, he's in for trouble!"

You can't run away from trouble....ain't no place that far

careship

Poor brer rabbit

I hate heights. I hate water parks. I hate rides LIKE Splash Mountain...I however love Song of the South and because of that I love Splash Mountain. Without SotS being part of it, I would never have gone it. It's the only thing that gets me on it and my kids LOVE this ride and the movie as well. My 11 yr old never wanted to go on it it looked scary to him when he was younger but when I said he'd get to see the SotS characters he jumped right into line nd has loved it ever since.

MichRX7

Premium Member
SM - The only ride at MK that can make me stop singing IaSW's theme.

That's because I'm humming zippity friggin doodah the rest of the day... :lol:

speck76

Originally posted by MichRX7
SM - The only ride at MK that can make me stop singing IaSW's theme.

That's because I'm humming zippity friggin doodah the rest of the day... :lol:

With me it is the "Laughing Place" song or "How do you do"

SewIn2Disney

First of all, to whomever said something about Nemo 2, SHAME ON YOU. No more sequels, please!:hammer:

Second of all, I hate to get back to the original thought here, but I don't think that every movie needs to have a ride in a park. Look at some of Disney's best rides, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mtn, Rock n Roller Coaster, Carousel of Progress, It's a Small World, Kilimanjaro Safari's...etc.
All of these rides didn't have a movie to base off of, and they are some of the best rides in the park.
I don't see why every ride has to be overrun with Disney characters. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney movies as much as the next guy (or gal) but sometimes I need the space.
I think Disney shoud get back to designing "origianl rides" and continue with their success with Mission:Space and Everest.

I will step off of my soapbox now:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom