Anyone wish there was a new ORIGINAL firework show?

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
Lately I've been having a craving of a different kind. Not for an existing attraction or show, not for something soon-to-be, not for any specific resort. My latest craving has been for an all new fireworks show based on entirely original concepts and ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for Wishes! and Fantasmic, and Magic & WoC over at Disneyland, but to be honest, they all seem to follow a set formula. Original song, best-of Disney music and scenes, often the villians might appear for a cameo, que original song again, finale! I just wish we got something along the lines of the wonderful Illuminations. To me that show is the perfect marriage of music and fireworks, and it probably doesn't hurt that the music was written for the sole purpose of serving the fireworks.

Disney songs work well within the context of a night-time show, but certain moments of the show will always feel "forced" and not quite right in terms of timing because lets face it, the music was written for the movies, not for nighttime entertainment. I can't help but wonder what an all new show would look like with all new music. Given the standard set by the newer shows out there, I bet it would look amazing!

What do you guys think? Would you be for something like this? What park would best benefit such a concept? MK, DHS, AK? Maybe replace the current RoE? Discuss away... :)

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Lately I've been having a craving of a different kind. Not for an existing attraction or show, not for something soon-to-be, not for any specific resort. My latest craving has been for an all new fireworks show based on entirely original concepts and ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for Wishes! and Fantasmic, and Magic & WoC over at Disneyland, but to be honest, they all seem to follow a set formula. Original song, best-of Disney music and scenes, often the villians might appear for a cameo, que original song again, finale! I just wish we got something along the lines of the wonderful Illuminations. To me that show is the perfect marriage of music and fireworks, and it probably doesn't hurt that the music was written for the sole purpose of serving the fireworks.

Disney songs work well within the context of a night-time show, but certain moments of the show will always feel "forced" and not quite right in terms of timing because lets face it, the music was written for the movies, not for nighttime entertainment. I can't help but wonder what an all new show would look like with all new music. Given the standard set by the newer shows out there, I bet it would look amazing!

What do you guys think? Would you be for something like this? What park would best benefit such a concept? MK, DHS, AK? Maybe replace the current RoE? Discuss away... :)

I dont have a craving but of course it would be great to see....

Only place it would happen is EPCOT so... Dont hold out...

No complaints here tho i LOVE ROE :sohappy::sohappy:

CaptainJackNO

No, at least not at Magic Kingdom. I love Wishes!

I love ROE, too.

I wouldn't mind seeing fireworks replace Fantasmic. Remember Sorcery in the Sky? I would like to see that return.

rkelly42

I am pretty sure illuminations fits your needs, and regarding illuminations why fix something that is not really broke. You really can not have fireworks shows at AK, as for MK a character based show and music from disney classics fits well with the park. As for fantasmic, it could use a little work but fits well with the theme of the park being movie/animation based. I would love to see WoC come to WDW maybe in DTD if it was possible which does not seem to be the case but I am very pleased with the night time shows including the overlooked EWP around the lagoon.

boufa

I am not. Just wishing. Once you've seen Fantasmic! 50 times, it gets a bit redundant.

There's the problem, you are looking for a solution to an a-typical problem. The vast majority of the 15 million people who go to the mk every year have seen wishes only a few times or less.

Then comes problem #2, I don't know about the rest of you, and I might even be in the minority, but I don't really care about the story, and the show. I just enjoy the event. Sure if I saw wishes on Monday and Hallowishes on Tuesday, I would be able to know the difference, but in general I enjoy the fireworks and the music. They could invest millions to change it and I doubt I would even notice. Now of course if they went WOC then sure it would be obvious, if they went to something like the local 4th of july fireworks, then I would notice, but so long as they are shooting off a Disney quality fireworks show..ehh, good enough.

Xethos

Im actually surprised that they havent cut back on the amount of shows they have, forget newer ones. Would be an easy way to save a few thousand dollars a month. Dont get me wrong, I hate when Disney scales back just as much as the next person, but I would gladly give up a show for them to give an attraction a badly needed refurb.

MarkTwain

Never really thought it but I think the OP's onto something. To me, Illuminations is by far the most inspiring and beautiful nighttime show at WDW, and I think that may be in part because it completely defines itself on its own - its own theme music, its own imagery, and its unique message of world peace instead of just "Disney magic". Every other park is more of just a rehash of what we've already seen in movies and such. I wonder what would happen if Magic Kingdom were approached with a RoE-style concept...

lbrad

No ... I LOVE Wishes!!!
Always brings a tear to my eye

Would love to see something new @ DTD.
Or they can replace Fantasmic ... same old

sponono88

I think Remember.. Dreams Come True at Disneyland is another example of a show that broke the typical ''good vs. evil'' storyline. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the show, but the E-Ticket in the Sky segment is pretty amazing!

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
I think Remember.. Dreams Come True at Disneyland is another example of a show that broke the typical ''good vs. evil'' storyline. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the show, but the E-Ticket in the Sky segment is pretty amazing!
YES! I remember that one so well. What an awesome way to celebrate Disneyland's 50th!

MarkTwain said:
Every other park is more of just a rehash of what we've already seen in movies and such. I wonder what would happen if Magic Kingdom were approached with a RoE-style concept...
Thank you! We've all been so accustomed to the idea that any park other than Epcot is a character's park, therefore the shows MUST have characters as a part of it. But really, why is that? MK I get and wouldn't have the shows any other way. But why not actually celebrate all the great classics at Disney's Hollywood Studios? And since when does celebrating the Animal Kingdom of the world require usage of character themes? The potential is endless and in my opinion has yet to be tapped.

I think we've just been "educated" almost to expect only Disney-ish type of shows when clearly WDI has proven that when given the opportunity they can knock an original creation out of the park (Illuminations). Did DCA really require a character driven night time show? Don't get me wrong, WoC is amazing. But were the characters a must, or could we have gotten something just as wonderful, and original to boot?

boufa

YES! I remember that one so well. What an awesome way to celebrate Disneyland's 50th!

Thank you! We've all been so accustomed to the idea that any park other than Epcot is a character's park, therefore the shows MUST have characters as a part of it. But really, why is that? MK I get and wouldn't have the shows any other way. But why not actually celebrate all the great classics at Disney's Hollywood Studios? And since when does celebrating the Animal Kingdom of the world require usage of character themes? The potential is endless and in my opinion has yet to be tapped.

I think we've just been "educated" almost to expect only Disney-ish type of shows when clearly WDI has proven that when given the opportunity they can knock an original creation out of the park (Illuminations). Did DCA really require a character driven night time show? Don't get me wrong, WoC is amazing. But were the characters a must, or could we have gotten something just as wonderful, and original to boot?

Wow... The short answer to your question is yes, the characters are necessary. You may not think so, but the 50,000 people standing next to you do. Don't get me wrong, you make some good points, I love the idea that dhs celebrates non-animated films. However, it wouldn't be Disney in the eyes of most of the guests. Remember it all started with a mouse, but we only use him in 1 park?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom