Anyone Know What Concrete Is Used at Magic Kingdom?

Phil12

I remember when DW was first build that Walt had wanter first class materials to last a long time, probably because of the failure of Asphalt at Disneyland on Grand Opening, I remember he wanted extra thick shingles to last 50 years (cedar) on those type of buildings, there are different grades of concrete, but I noticed that new construction doesn't seen to last as long.
Walt's private company WED Enterprises was the primary contractor for all of Disneyland construction. He used the best materials because he made more personal profit from the deal. Remember that Walt Disney only had a 16.55% stake in Disneyland while the majority of the park was financed by other partners including the studio. Walt had every incentive to charge the maximum he could get. It had everything to do with higher profit for him.

Phonedave

Speaking from a DOT perspective, most states use 3000-3500 psi design strength concrete for sidewalk (with the results often much higher). 4" thickness is sufficient for standard sidewalk, 6" in driveways. The material is plenty hard to resist shovels. As drizgirl said, the freeze-thaw cycle and road chemicals have a massive deleterious effect on the concrete, and WDW can avoid those almost entirely (grumble, grumble).

Most concrete has a design life of 50 years, though it can last much longer with proper maintenance. What might be interesting to discover from some insiders is the reason for the sidewalk replacements that have been occurring throughout the park. It certainly makes sense in the MK where you're seeing repairs at joints and whatnot, but I'm also seeing them in Epcot now. Most recently between Germany and Italy, if I recall. That crete is only 36 years old. Was it falling apart prematurely or was it for more aesthetic reasons, like fading color?

I see a lot of lippage at WDW. Slabs that have settled deferentially and are now a tripping hazard. In some cases they grind the concrete to create a smooth transition. I have never seen them use mudjacking (or foamjacking either). My guess is (especially with the number of sinkholes that develop in Florida) that settling is next to impossible to avoid unless using piles (and likely skin friction, not point loading).

All the concrete slab replacement is most likely not because it has worn, cracked, or spalled, but because of settling.

Phonedave

You beat me to it!!! If it was OUR concrete, bones would eventually work their way to the surface...GREAT for Halloween or the HM queue, but NOT a good effect for the Christmas parade!! LOL Someone mentioned gunite...I can't speak for anywhere else, but up here in NJ, it's being used on a regular basis for inground pools...it's supposed to be virtually indestructible.

Gunite / shotcrete is used here in NJ (and in plenty of other places as well) for in ground pools. However, the shotcrete has to cure first, and then a plaster job has to be done, or else is it going to suck in water like a sponge. Then after your plaster cures you have to baby the pool for about a year or two, making sure it says full, the pH in the right range, the calcium hardness of the water is correct, etc or else it will ruin your fresh plaster.

It's not as indestructible as it sounds.

Phonedave

This is one of my favorite lines. Just a little backstory on myself, I am a fan of the MASH TV series, and I also have a MS in Civil Engineering, and spent a lot of time in the Reinforced Concrete Lab when I was in college.

From the "Cementing Relations" episode. Klinger is trying to convince the doctors that they can install a concrete floor in the OR themselves (to replace the wood floor, that is causing staph infections)

Hawkeye : Okay, Klinger, you're on. But you better know what you're doing.

Cpl. Maxwell Klinger : Trust me. I know cement and it's not that hard.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom