Anyone know about the college-student Imagineering Contest?

CommandoDisney

Original Poster
ok so i saw this thing i think off of the disney website talking about this imagineering contest for college students. it basically is you form a group and design or redesign some sort of aspect of one of the parks whether it be a new ride, restaraunt or even a whole new land, whatever you want. does anyone know anything about this? like is it held every year? and.... this is going to sound horrible and i dont mean this in any negative way.... but is it only for minorities? the reason i ask this is becuase to participate it said you had to get signed off by one of the engineering societies on campus but it only listed minority engineering societies... im just lookin for more info on it, i would absolutely love to do it. sooooo does anyone know what im tlaking about or am i just a crazy person?

disneybabynat

CommandoDisney said:
ok so i saw this thing i think off of the disney website talking about this imagineering contest for college students. it basically is you form a group and design or redesign some sort of aspect of one of the parks whether it be a new ride, restaraunt or even a whole new land, whatever you want. does anyone know anything about this? like is it held every year? and.... this is going to sound horrible and i dont mean this in any negative way.... but is it only for minorities? the reason i ask this is becuase to participate it said you had to get signed off by one of the engineering societies on campus but it only listed minority engineering societies... im just lookin for more info on it, i would absolutely love to do it. sooooo does anyone know what im tlaking about or am i just a crazy person?

can u be from any country or do u have to be from america??

josh_e_washie

It's called ImagiNations right? I've been looking into it. I'm a BFA Scenic Design major, and my major is listed as a possible one. Basically, I think it is a way to show Imagineering the skills and creativity you have to see if they would be interested in bringing you in an internship with them. It looks very interesting, but also highly competitive.
I plan on entering it this year, if I can. I still need to take a class on model making, and as soon as I do and I learn how to make good models, I'll be in! :)

CommandoDisney

Original Poster
josh_e_washie said:
It's called ImagiNations right? I've been looking into it. I'm a BFA Scenic Design major, and my major is listed as a possible one. Basically, I think it is a way to show Imagineering the skills and creativity you have to see if they would be interested in bringing you in an internship with them. It looks very interesting, but also highly competitive.
I plan on entering it this year, if I can. I still need to take a class on model making, and as soon as I do and I learn how to make good models, I'll be in! :)

THATS the name of it! i completely forgot and it was driving me crazy. yeah it sounds really cool and im really interested in it. my dream job is to be an imagineer along with many other people on these boards. but yeah, do u know when anything is due in to them?

artdude323

Either there's a different (but similar) contest, or it's not just for minorities. I have a friend who placed third a couple years ago in the single designer class - there's also a group division where you design and present as a group.

I know the standards and prerequisites are very high, and it's almost impossible to get through the semifinals - they only choose 4 or 5 in each category nation wide to move on to the finals in Burbank and present your attraction to the Imagineering Judges there.

KumbaRider

Yes, the program is somewhat limited, and from what it appears, it is limited to certain minority groups. There are specific necessary majors and the entrant must be in Junior or Senior level courses within their major. There are some loopholes to get around, but I'm not quite sure what they are yet. I will enter in a few years when I'm eligible, but I'm not sure how to get around the whole minority thing.

CommandoDisney

Original Poster
KumbaRider said:
Yes, the program is somewhat limited, and from what it appears, it is limited to certain minority groups. There are specific necessary majors and the entrant must be in Junior or Senior level courses within their major. There are some loopholes to get around, but I'm not quite sure what they are yet. I will enter in a few years when I'm eligible, but I'm not sure how to get around the whole minority thing.

Yeah see im a junior mechanical engineering major and we have several of the societies listed on campus that im sure i could get approval from but i didnt know if that meant you had to be a minority. from the looks of people who won in the past it doesnt seem that way.

terp79

no.... u get a glass trophy, the opportunity to meet with all the great minds at WDI, a free trip to California, wined and dined by the mouse and scholarship money....do u guyz read the information on the website?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom