Anyone else think like this? (music)

Glasgow

Original Poster
With the advent of the newly refurbished SSE, it got me thinking about listening to Disney music. Along with most people here (or is it "hear" .. ha), I enjoy listening to Disney music now and again, and more specifically, to park music .. attractions, parades, background music, etc. The background music, in particular, can really get you feeling like you are there in the park.

Thing is, I sort of feel like I'm "cheating" when I listen to ride-throughs or things like that -- I'm afraid it's making me too familiar with the rides and what not and I won't enjoy them as much when I actually go to the parks. There's nothing like the feeling of riding an attraction for the first time or at least not remembering the dialogue/music verbatim.

As such, even though I enjoy most attractions as-is and generally prefer smaller refurbs instead of overhauls on the classic attractions, I have found the silver lining of any large refurb to be that I can now listen to the old music and dialogue without guilt since it is no longer the current ride/attraction/parade/etc music!! Long live the Refurb!! lol

Does anyone else feel like this?? haha ... weird I know

sittle

Yeah, I can relate. Last year we went in Feb/March, and over my time off over the winter break I found the wonders of www.dc-torrents.com (now mousebits.com)... and I went off the chain getting all of the unreleased music... I listened to SSE (Jeremy Irons version) until I had it memorized, I love the adventureland & Tomorrowland BG music... I was listening so much because I was so eager and excited to go... and I kept thinking that listening to it so much might ruin the fun when I am there....

Nope, totally DIDN'T!! It's so much different when you are actually there.. you can smell the air, feel the warm breeze on your skin, the music surrounds you, the visuals put you there... Mickey Mouse Ice Cream sandwich in your hand..

Being there was/is the full experience for me, listening to the music is only a tease... A gentle reminder of where you were.

dandaman

While I do find that the orchestral score makes many Disney attractions stand out that much more, I never feel like I'm "cheating". I got my first iPod for Christmas; the first songs to go on there were (current) half-hour loops from Epcot. :lol:

cpeterstx

I agree completely. I don't like to listen to ride-throughs. I don't know if it's because the sound is usually not that good or if it is just because Disney attractions are full sensory experiences.

I also listen to disney park music quite a bit. It just makes my day right.

RickyMouseMom

I understand that feeling...
I have a bunch of the park CD's and the Disney greatest hits CD's. I (and my kids) were listening to them alot, and I too was afraid that it would ruin the experience when I go back. I thought I was the only one that felt this way! I put them away around September, and will pull them out on our drive to FL (from NY) in February. I think its okay in moderation. I would listen to them 24/7 but I want to keep them 'special'. Am I crazy? :lookaroun

EpScott

If you're like me (living so far from the magic) you have no problem at all "cheating" because you don't necessarily know when your next trip to the World is going to be. I enjoy listening to the soundtracks and ride-throughs and imagining exactly what part of the ride I would be experiencing at certain moments during the songs or dialogue. I get my fix by listening to Utilidors Audio Broadcasting.com and loading up on tracks from Mousebits.com!!!

Figment82

For me, listening to the music loops only heightens the experience when I'm at the parks. For example, most people never hear the background loops playing in the different areas, or at least never give them much thought. For me, I find myself humming along or sitting by a speaker and enjoying.

hauntdmansion79

I am always amazed to find people just like me on these boards! I completely know what the OP means.

My brother and I listen to park audio, background loops, queue music, ride throughs, shows, and parades ALL the time. We listen so much we not only know the rides and shows by heart, but the background loops too. We don't feel like we're cheating but we do feel like we are spoiling it for ourselves.

We only go to WDW once every 3-4 years and feel if we didn't listen to the these tracks all year long we could be more enchanted while there. We sometimes feel like if we are walking down Mainstreet USA and hear the background loop and start humming along, that would not be right. The background loops are supposed to be so seamlessly woven into the complete experience that they are not supposed to stand out, but used to highten your senses and mood. I'd rather not notice them so much. Another example would be reciting along with the Amercian Adventure from start to finish. I'd rather listen and enjoy the show as if it were new to me.

BUT, every time we go, we realize that the audio tracks are nothing like being there. The complete package of sight, sounds, smell, and feel is what is needed to experience true Disney attractions. We are going in March and we haven't been listening to any audio for a few months to highten the anticipation. Earlier last year I spoiled Expedition Everest for myself by watching the onride video. I wish I could stay away from Disney park audio and video more, but it's too late, I'm obsessed.

Glasgow

Original Poster
LOL - it's nice to know that there is a support group here ... haha.

Regarding the videos, I only watch the ones from non-WDW parks .. like JTTCOTE, for example. Everyone is right though -- it's a much different experience when you are actually in the parks.

Currently listening to Innoventions BGM at work ... excellent

cooleo

I totally agree with the OP as well. I have tons of Park / Ride music acquired from http://www.mousebits.com & have all of it on my iPod as well. I listen to it constantly. I have also created a folder full of Disney Park / Ride pics & set my desktop to change the background image every minute. This way I get the music & the visual all day while I am @ work. I have been doing this for quite awhile & it did not diminish the experience of being in the parks when we were there in December. If anything, it only served to heighten the anticipation of getting there. As many have said, I think that this is because the parks are full sensory experiences.

Horizonstta

I think the music is one of the most underrated "attractions" at the parks. I don't think most guests appreciate the wonderful background music that plays as you navigate the park, wait to ride an attraction, sit in a restaurant, or visit the hotels. This could be from the fact that most people usually feel rushed on vacation to get everything in, opposed to siting down in one spot for an hour and listening to the full background loop.

It's amazing how much music there is, and how diverse it is, even within a single park. I listen to park music every day. If anything, it makes me appreciate the parks even more. I am lucky enough to live in Orlando such that I can visit the parks and do nothing but listen to the music. But sites such as Mousebits and Utilidors Audio Broadcasting, as pointed out above, are great ways to get your fix in between visits.

I only wish Disney would release more park music...

hpyhnt 1000

I only wish Disney would release more park music...

I agree. And in no way does listening to the park music ruin it for me while Im there. Its great, because sometimes I have a moment to myself, and I start humming BGM or muttering an attraction narration under my breath. I personally love just about any music from WDW, but especially from Epcot, most of all, IllumiNations (pre, show, and post music). I know quite a few attraction speils, and I have the current monorail speils for the MK and Epcot lines memorized. It's great, because that Disney magic I love is always with me.:)

doop

I think the exact same way. I try to limit the amount of times I watch or listen to ride throughs, just so that the ride is still an enjoyable experience the next time I go to the parks. I listen to background loops non-stop though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom