Anybody know when GM's contract for Test Track is due for renewal?

DreamfinderGuy

Original Poster
I know it might not exactly fit "News and Rumors" as much as it does "General Discussion", but seeing as this is the Evolving EPCOT board I think it's as good of a place as any to post (mods please move if it isn't).

We're coming up on 10 years since Test Track 2.0 opened. Historically, GM has signed 10 year deals for the Motion pavilion and then signed a couple extensions before a full overhaul. Could we be coming up on more changes, minor or major, to Test Track? It seems like the right time to with all the other commotion going on at EPCOT, unless of course GM is still satisfied with their representation there. Anybody know anything? Heard anything? Have any off the walls speculation?

Crazydisneyfanluke

I know it might not exactly fit "News and Rumors" as much as it does "General Discussion", but seeing as this is the Evolving EPCOT board I think it's as good of a place as any to post (mods please move if it isn't).

We're coming up on 10 years since Test Track 2.0 opened. Historically, GM has signed 10 year deals for the Motion pavilion and then signed a couple extensions before a full overhaul. Could we be coming up on more changes, minor or major, to Test Track? It seems like the right time to with all the other commotion going on at EPCOT, unless of course GM is still satisfied with their representation there. Anybody know anything? Heard anything? Have any off the walls speculation?
Wow, can't believe its already been 10 years. I wouldn't expect any major changes with IPCOT being developed.

When was their last one signed? Was it a year or 2 before the refurb?

DreamfinderGuy

Original Poster
Wow, can't believe its already been 10 years. I wouldn't expect any major changes with IPCOT being developed.

When was their last one signed? Was it a year or 2 before the refurb?
They signed 10 years for TT 1.0 that lead to 2009. Much like how they treated World of Motion towards the end of it's run, they signed additional short contracts eventually leading to 2012's overhaul. I would imagine that contract also began as of TT 2.0's official opening date, though there appears to be no details anywhere on it.

DreamfinderGuy

Original Poster
They said that about GE too.
I think the difference is that GE never really got anything out of their sponsorships, but since we're speaking of TT here, let's use Horizons for example. Logo on the front, shout outs at the start and finish of the ride, signs at the exit, and a lounge. GM has all of those, plus the added benefit of their ride basically being *about* GM, and a dealership at the end. They get a lot more exposure and a lot more $$$. Can't imagine they would let that go after they've had it for so long and how much of it's worth has been proven. I feel like all that could cause the deal to fail would be if Disney gets greedy about it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think the difference is that GE never really got anything out of their sponsorships, but since we're speaking of TT here, let's use Horizons for example. Logo on the front, shout outs at the start and finish of the ride, signs at the exit, and a lounge. GM has all of those, plus the added benefit of their ride basically being *about* GM, and a dealership at the end. They get a lot more exposure and a lot more $$$. Can't imagine they would let that go after they've had it for so long and how much of it's worth has been proven. I feel like all that could cause the deal to fail would be if Disney gets greedy about it.

That’s true, though horizons didn’t have a showroom at the end of the ride where you could buy dishwashers

GE were seen as part of the furniture since they got into bed with Walt. It was unthinkable for them to leave too.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But that relationship ended mostly because of a conflict of interest when GE bought into Universal, No?
Pass. But for decades GE were almost a subsidiary of TWDC they were so well known in the parks.

What I’m saying is the company can be as familiar as you like (Kodak) - doesn’t mean they’ll be connected to the parks in any way next week. Or month. Or year.

EeyoreFan#24

Pass. But for decades GE were almost a subsidiary of TWDC they were so well known in the parks.

What I’m saying is the company can be as familiar as you like (Kodak) - doesn’t mean they’ll be connected to the parks in any way next week. Or month. Or year.

Loyalty, brand synergy, consumer feedback, long-standing partnerships that can’t break, etc. are things of the past

Or in two words - Corporate America

Goofyernmost

They seem to have à pretty good relationship, so I’d guess they’d would keep it going
They should because it is really a huge automobile show room that is proceeded by a ride in a car. The showroom might mean nothing at the time but people do see something they like and pursue it at a later date. I know that I bought a car that was on display in a Mall where I walked about everyday. I went to the dealer and asked about that particular car and the graciously sold it to me. With the thousands of people that pass through Test Track every day, there has to be a lot of result or at least enough to keep it going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom