Any way around this?

loveofamouse

We paid for 13yr old SIL to fly out here for our Disney trip(see sig). Well, Just today, she informed us she's "too afraid to fly" and isn't coming. I can sell her disney to relatives and removed the extra room at Pop(ugh!) but Continental is telling me there's no refund, only credit for $531(for only 12m from purchase, not original flight) but it's $150 :eek:to change to another fight. So we really only get a credit of about $380. grrrr:mad: Lets just say, not happy with DHs family right now.........

brent2124

That is the policy of most airlines anymore. I would honestly tell her if she isnt coming she needs to help pay for the lost airfare and fees.

Upvote 0

rkelly42

That would be the last time she would be invited. That is absolutely absurd, you know if your afraid to fly or not, she already knew.

Upvote 0

Sadie22

This is a child. Did anyone take the time to find out what suddenly brought this on? Rather than punishing her and taking steps to make it impossible to go, did her parents try to find out what has spooked her at this late date, or were they ignorning her feelings all along? I'm not surprised that a young girl would be afraid to fly. Did she just see something about 9/11 or hear about attempted bombings? Try to work this out with her rather than focusing on mere dollars and cents.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This is a child. Did anyone take the time to find out what suddenly brought this on? Rather than punishing her and taking steps to make it impossible to go, did her parents try to find out what has spooked her at this late date, or were they ignorning her feelings all along? I'm not surprised that a young girl would be afraid to fly. Did she just see something about 9/11 or hear about attempted bombings? Try to work this out with her rather than focusing on mere dollars and cents.

Good advice Sadie.

Perhaps a quick trip to a therapist to cure her Aviophobia would be cheaper than losing the airfare...and kill two birds with one stone.:shrug:

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Is it too late to add trip insurance to the air you booked? Sometimes that can help you around sticky situations like this. Granted I've never had to fully cancel air travel, but with two young kids prone to ear infections- I buy it for air travel and have used it at times when infections have kept us from getting cleared for flying- far cheaper than the rebooking fees on the airlines.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I agree with Sadie. There are plenty of reasons that kids (and adults) are afraid to fly, and yes, it's an expensive problem for you. But the bigger problem here is helping the child to overcome it.

BTW, have you called the airline and aexplained the situation? They may have a policy, but you never know, they might bend the rules for you. :shrug:

Upvote 0

Andrew54

Scared of an airplane..really? Someone has put some absurd fears into this kids head. I flew when I was a kid all the time. Heck last flight I was on there was an 8 year old boy flying by himself.

Upvote 0

Sadie22

Scared of an airplane..really? Someone has put some absurd fears into this kids head. I flew when I was a kid all the time. Heck last flight I was on there was an 8 year old boy flying by himself.

She could have seen ads for the TV series LOST and gotten spooked. It doesn't take a lot, and it's not absurd. Plane crashes make the evening news and the newspapers. She would not be unaware of this. Was she going to be flying alone, for the first time? There are lots of factors that could go into this. Many, many rational adults will not fly. Is Amtrak an option?

On the subject of refunds, the airline charged a fee when DS broke a leg and couldn't go on a scheduled hike out west. A doctor's letter made no difference. We did not need to fly anywhere in the next year so did not want the ticket extended, just a refund, but the airline would only give back part.

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

Sorry for the last minute trouble!

Unfortunately, in regards to the airline fees and restrictions, there isn't much you can do. When you buy your ticket, whether its online or over the phone, you agree to all of their insane policies, and they generally won't budge.

Try and make the best of your trip, I hope you have a good time :wave:

Upvote 0

cslafferty

My daughter was 12 the first time she flew, and she was really nervous about it. Her pediatrician told me to give her a Dramamine (for motion sickness) and it would help make her sleepy on the flight. It worked like a charm. Just knowing that I had something to give her that would make her feel better helped calm her. Once we were in the air, she was fine. Maybe her parents can talk to her doctor about it.

Upvote 0

PalisadesPkteer

Yea, the major airlines will not budge. If everything was booked then it is too late for the insurance also.

Could try telling airline problem, but probably just waste of time. Try to do what Sadie said and see if you can get her to go. That is best bet.

(My experience. Delta would not let me change or cancel flight when a hurricane was coming into Florida. Reason, I was arriving the day before hurricane was too arrive. So was going to change dates but stay with their airline. No dice. They wouldn't do much of anything for me becasue I was arriving before it was to hit. Got a $25 coupon but could only be used at airport bookings! So useless!)

Had problems with US Air also. I try to stick with South West Air now. They will not give money back but at least you get full credit towards an other flight if its within a year.

Upvote 0

Maerj

Try asking her why she is so afraid to fly and explain to her that you are going to lose A LOT of money if she backs out now.

I have a 2 year old and we just got back 2 weeks ago from flying to WDW. We also flew with her when she was only 5 months old and she did great both times. Tell her that and that children fly all the time and are okay.

You may even be able to get her some heavier medication to calm her down on the plane. They give adults valium, maybe there is some kid equivalent?

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

I am scared to death to fly..never have..I plan on it next may when we go on our Disney Cruise but I will be taking some kind of anxiety med beforehand...and that is my choice as i REALLY want to go and it is faster for us to fly...oh and no one put any absurd fear in my head at all..I myself am scared..and that is all there is too it..:shrug:

As for the giving the child heavier meds...I think that if someone agreed to take the meds and fly then fine..but I doubt that a 13 year old who is so scared to fly that she is giving up a Disney trip would not want to take meds either..she does not want to fly and no one can make her...and I would hope no one would make her take them either.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Sorry to hear about that...but remember she'll be your SIL for the rest of your life.
At 13, I agree, maybe mom and dad weren't really listening to her. Last summer my 8 yr old nephew flew by himself into Ohare Airport...my oldest daughter wouldn't want to fly into O'hare all alone, but my nephew loved it that no one was there to tell him he couldn't drink a whole Mountain Dew. He has done lots of flying with his parents, Hawaii, California, New York, etc., . When I took my daughter's girl scout troop to WDW we had one girl who refused to go because she wouldn't fly. We had another girl whose parents drove her to WDW because she didn't want to fly. Are there any other options? Could your husband drive halfway & meet his parents to pick her up?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom