Any truth to dining plan rumor?

kapeman

Original Poster
I have read that sometime in 2011 DVC members will be able to book the various dining plans for less than the entire length of stay and mix up more than one type.

Is there anything to this?

graphite1326

I have read that sometime in 2011 DVC members will be able to book the various dining plans for less than the entire length of stay and mix up more than one type.

Is there anything to this?

This would be great. Just what I would be looking for. I hate trying to book all those table service meals and they take up so much time. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the meals but if I had a preference, I would choose just a cuple table sevice meals and the rest would be quick service.

Buried20KLeague

I don't understand why DVC members would be interested in the dining plan. It makes ZERO sense to me.

The DP is only a marginal savings (at best) when you pay for it, and that's only if you order the most expensive items and know how to work the system.

Why would anyone pay full price for the DP when they've raised prices and dropped items to a point where it's no longer a real savings??

My guess is it's a classic case of people not doing the homework and believing what they're told: That the DP will save you money at the parks when you eat no matter what. Which is FAR from the truth.

jakeman

I don't understand why DVC members would be interested in the dining plan. It makes ZERO sense to me.

The DP is only a marginal savings (at best) when you pay for it, and that's only if you order the most expensive items and know how to work the system.

Why would anyone pay full price for the DP when they've raised prices and dropped items to a point where it's no longer a real savings??

My guess is it's a classic case of people not doing the homework and believing what they're told: That the DP will save you money at the parks when you eat no matter what. Which is FAR from the truth.
Out of our multiple trips since DDP was introduced (in its behemoth form now) we have used it exactly twice.

It just doesn't work for our family.

Phonedave

This WOULD make the DDP work for me.

If I am at WDW for say a week. I am sure there are two table services where I eat in a way that would make the plan beneficial. Two days of snack and quick serves get eaten as well.

Of course with a TiW card, most of those savings may be negated anyway.

Most of the time the plan does not fit for me, but on occassion it would for a day or two during a week long trip. But really, thats a lot of planning to save how much? Maybe $10.

-dave

DisneyGirl11

We always use the dining plan. It is worth it to us. We are a family that loves to eat and I honestly don't think it's expensive at all. We go to a table service meal every day and definitely use up the snacks and quick service meals as well. Some people it works for and some people it doesn't!

Yensid71

The DDP has little if anything to do with savings and everything to do with numbers and getting guests into the restaurants. This allows guests that normally would not eat at a certain restaurant the perception of savings while increasing the number of tables turned thus making the numbers look good and keeping TDO happy. No savings just numbers!

Buried20KLeague

The DDP has little if anything to do with savings and everything to do with numbers and getting guests into the restaurants. This allows guests that normally would not eat at a certain restaurant the perception of savings while increasing the number of tables turned thus making the numbers look good and keeping TDO happy. No savings just numbers!

But it WAS a savings when it was new. Tip was included, app was included. The food quality and options were much better at the time. That made it very worth it. It was Disney wanting to get the restaurants full, and to do so they were willing to offer a discount.

At some point, that view changed.

Problem is, the public are sheep, and don't realize that the value once present has been peeled away. They just keep buying, or if they're new to the DP, they believe the hype Disney tosses their way.

Buried20KLeague

Out of our multiple trips since DDP was introduced (in its behemoth form now) we have used it exactly twice.

It just doesn't work for our family.

I only paid for the plan once, when it was first available. Since then the only times we've been on it was when it's free (like next week).

I hate the DP, and BOY do I feel hypocritical taking the free dining deal. :(

But when it's free, it's a lot harder to pass up.

I complain, but I'm part of the problem when it comes to this, too. :(

But on the point of DVC... I'd imagine a large percentage of DVC owners are number crunchers (or at least SHOULD be)... How could they go with the DP when it doesn't take much to understand the TiW is a lot better option??

dreamfinder

I only paid for the plan once, when it was first available. Since then the only times we've been on it was when it's free (like next week).

But on the point of DVC... I'd imagine a large percentage of DVC owners are number crunchers (or at least SHOULD be)... How could they go with the DP when it doesn't take much to understand the TiW is a lot better option??

TiW works unless you eat CS. If you do, then the DP may be better. Most likely not, but may. The only CS that take TiW aren't anywhere most DVC members would be staying.

googilycub

The TiW might be a better option for YOU but not everybody. Please don't speak in absolute. As a DVC owner I am a big at doing my homework when it comes to money, and I have found that for MY family the DP is a better option. Is that the case for everyone? I doubt it. Is it as good a deal as a couple of years ago? No. But it saves my family money and allows me to enjoy my vacation more than if I didn't have it.

Buried20KLeague

The TiW might be a better option for YOU but not everybody. Please don't speak in absolute. As a DVC owner I am a big at doing my homework when it comes to money, and I have found that for MY family the DP is a better option. Is that the case for everyone? I doubt it. Is it as good a deal as a couple of years ago? No. But it saves my family money and allows me to enjoy my vacation more than if I didn't have it.

Okay... I'm curious. How is the DP a better option for you? I'd like to see how you come to that conclusion. Especially if you do your homework with vacation dollars.

EDIT TO ADD: I didn't speak in absolutes. I clearly said that you CAN save money on it, but only if you know how to work the system and order the most expensive meals on the menu. Neither of which, I'm sure, the majority of guests know to do.

jakeman

Since I'm a DVC member, I'll take a stab at it.

I don't know. :ROFLOL:

We tried it twice because we were curious to see if it really could save us money. It did quite a bit, but the trade off was a ton of flexibility and pressure to make sure we got the most.

If we ate on DDP like we do when don't have DDP we would lose money.

We are going for 10 days starting next week (squee!) and aren't using DDP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom